'24 GA TE Jonathan Echols (USF commit)

legit, he had 14 catches in 9 games his senior year
Admittedly his production hasn't been great for them at TE, and this was honestly a much bigger loss if he had stayed on the DLine. Still, this is just another kick in the nuts over the last 24 hours. IMG has not been kind to us (Seaton and Echols both in the 11th hour). Add it to the Baron transfer news, and it isn't the talent we are losing in Echols, it's the momentum and Ls we appear to be taking.

We'll survive, but fan consternation is certainly at an appropriate level based on the past days worth of news.

Or maybe it's Maybelline.
R.35b10d206dc5a48c7855c93a45416736

Reactions: mrMet
I’m not saying it’s time to panic. But finding an excuse for losing a TE to USF of all schools feels like damage control. You shouldn’t lose a prospect to a G5 school even if Golesh originally secured his commitment.
And usually 4 star guys that decommitt from a known P5 school to go to a G5 school end up doing so because they have limited options. Golesh is the one who wanted Echols and wanted him at TE. All the kid has done is slide down everyone's rankings as a TE because he isn't one. He didn't do anything to note his senior year. I doubt Heupel and staff are losing sleep over this one. Some kids are encouraged to look elsewhere closer to signing day and I bet that's what happened here.

I’m not saying it’s time to panic. But finding an excuse for losing a TE to USF of all schools feels like damage control. You shouldn’t lose a prospect to a G5 school even if Golesh originally secured his commitment.
K...since we can't PANIC, I'm open to alternate solutions. How about we get one just as good or better?

Ethan Davis is supposed to be the real deal. Plus I don’t doubt our ability to get a good one in the portal. Defense and offensive line worries me
Ethan has struggled to stay healthy. Missed his senior season and then broke his collarbone in the spring game. Didn't really play enough to get hurt as a freshman, but he's got to stay healthy. Maybe we take both Staes and Dingle, or the Southeastern Louisiana kid.

If other poster is correct and he flipped bc we’re offering portal TEs and he flipped to a G5 school, wouldn’t that scream didn’t want to compete for a spot to you?

JH and this staff have slow played the portal up to this year. What this staff does the next 2-4 weeks is going to be critical for us. You’re already all chips in on Nico, so you better find a way to keep the playmakers we have/and find some others in the portal. TE room is very weak. OL has little quality depth. Sampson has been underutilized so far and will likely have people calling for his services. Our best WR that’s healthy right now is 5’9”. Our defense can’t get any consistent pressure, especially in the 2nd half of the year, and we refused to play any of our young DBs. Our defensive recruiting has not been SEC level at times (outside DL), and even then we are weak at DT this recruiting class. We likely need 2-3 more DBs that can play right away. Additionally, we could have used 2-3 more highly regarded high school prospects at DT/DB. Unfortunately, we struck out on a ton of players in those areas. I’m not saying the world is on fire here, but we can’t pretend like we are just killing it either.
That reads like a long way from competing for any title.. not saying your wrong.

If they have both Davis and Joly in 2024 on the field, it’s likely no one will even remember this happening.

Staff probably liked the idea of him playing D-Line since his production hasn’t been very good at the TE position this year.

Seems like he’s dead set on playing TE in college.

Reactions: 19_GBO_19

VN Store

Back