Game Thread: 2023 Women's NCAA Tournament...Round of 16: Lady Vols v Va. Tech...Sat @ 6:30 ESPN2

You have to get your body up on players who are scorers for the opposing team--be a bit physical. We are not.

The cold hard fact is that
we are not coached well enough. Where is the talent advantage that Va. Tech has? There isn't one. They simply execute better, make fewer mistakes. We have been playing the same way for many years--too many mistakes on both ends of the floor. We pull within 1 point and Horston turns the ball over--twice--and then fouls on a three-point shot--and that was effectively the game. On what other teams do the two best players have 13 turnovers between them? NONE. Mistakes. This is why the program has floundered for years.

THANNKK YOU somebody else said it

Reactions: Chippo and mcannon1
I hope Horston comes back. But if she doesn’t, then I hope she comes to play for Dallas. I’ll be happy to watch her skills as a pro. It’ll be nice to have her on a team where she isnt needed to do everything for the team. She could end up being like Catchings.

You bring up a Catching reference, but elude to the player not being able to handle everything?

confused-no.gif

right!
If something ain't working change it...oh yeah,,,I forgot, Kellie doesn't like changing things...

"I don't like to change things. I'm not big on change. I like to settle in and everybody defines their roles. As long as something is working for us, and right now Jillian [Hollingshead] is playing really well off the bench, that's fine. The starting lineup is not the biggest thing for me. Let's have consistency. Let everyone know their roles and understand what's about to happen. That to me is more important than who's out there first."
About how many more times are you going to post this quote? I believe we’ve all seen it. While you obsess about the “not big on change” sentence, the point of the comment was that consistency breeds better play and each player needed to understand their role and the importance of their contribution was not tied to whether they started or not. Good lord.. to a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail!

Watching LSU is so frustrating. I absolutely despise Mulkey, but how come all her teams play tremendous D? There is never a time her teams don’t play staunch defense. They made one 3 pointer and still smoked. Tennessee used to hang their hat on defense. Recall in the CP years, Pat had Anosike guarding the point guard in a tournament game cuz she was such a defensive beast. What happened to demanding defense?
Some coaches make it a priority and take pride in making it their identity.

Reactions: Chippo and T_Vol376
put yourself into her shoes.she got virtually no time on the floor except for "garbage time" or "looking for a spark" time
Consider next year (Tess is returning)
Do you really think she thinks is anything will change?
Given the coach's credo about lot not liking change
Nope
If Justine leaves, it will not be bc she wanted to go, it will be bc she has to or sit another season wasting away the cannon that is in her arsenal.
I would imagine a bright young woman, which I believe her to be, would recognize that strength wise and defensively she has work to do to get on the floor to show off her offensive prowess. Not everyone has towering egos that blind them to reality. I believe she stays and makes big improvements this summer and has a great year next year.

When Ohio State beat UConn and opened the rare door for TN to actually get all the way to the Championship game without playing our nemesis, UConn, I foolishly allowed myself to dream. With Virginia Tech, then Ohio State, and maybe LSU, then probably SC up next, we had already played each one.

This year, I watched more womens basketball than ever before. I always watch TN, but this year, I saw Miami’s big wins, and I saw Ohio State beat UConn, (by literally running circles around them), right before our game. I was beyond thrilled, euphoric. UConn was gone! I was on the top of a mountain. After all, we really didn’t know for sure how good we were. I thought if we play our best, we can win. Then I watched our game. Some of the first words I read on our blog were, Horston’s having a bad day. I knew then, it was over. Since we always play Horston many minutes, a Horston bad day is a loss. Deep down, I always thought this was how it would end, I just didn’t think it would happen so soon. Yes, I know she had help, no one could shoot, and we couldn’t stop their high scorer. Of course, the comeback was exciting while it lasted, and I do appreciate the players that caused that.

Anyway, with the disappointment and disgust, and words like horrid and putrid, and others, running through my mind, I decided to wait before posting anything. It was my own fault for caring so much, and actually hoping.

So, just one other thing I wanted to say, which LVRenaisance talked about, and that is how often we come out flat/listless/scared to begin games, including this one. I see body language, too. We came out this way against LSU, the one where we beat them, but the comeback worked. I think Kellie is highly intelligent, cerebral, and analytical, and this is something she needs to consider. Not playing well in the first half, then making a comeback in the second half, happened a lot last year. Just guessing, but I think Kellie spends a lot of time trying to keep Horston on an even keel, not overly hyped up before a game, but whatever is going on in the meeting before the game, needs to be looked at, with changes in mind. It’s a game, important yes, but the players need to be loose, pumped up when they come out on the floor. Maybe change it up, play music, do a little dancing, play the theme from Rocky? Try something new, because if they’re so nervous to start a game, it’s not good.

That’s about it. Looking forward to knowing who will be on the roster next season. I know we’re improving each year, and I believe that will continue. Kellie is probably way more impatient about our team’s NCAA Tournament success than anyone, including me.

GO LADY VOLS!

Last edited:
When Ohio State beat UConn and opened the rare door for TN to actually get all the way to the Championship game without playing our nemesis, UConn, I foolishly allowed myself to dream. With Virginia Tech, then Ohio State, and maybe LSU, then probably SC up next, we had already played each one.

This year, I watched more womens basketball than ever before. I always watch TN, but this year, I saw Miami’s big wins, and I saw Ohio State beat UConn, (by literally running circles around them), right before our game. I was beyond thrilled, euphoric. UConn was gone! I was on the top of a mountain. After all, we really didn’t know for sure how good we were. I thought if we play our best, we can win. Then I watched our game. Some of the first words I read on our blog were, Horston’s having a bad day. I knew then, it was over. Since we always play Horston many minutes, a Horston bad day is a loss. Deep down, I always thought this was how it would end, I just didn’t think it would happen so soon. Yes, I know she had help, no one could shoot, and we couldn’t stop their high scorer. Of course, the comeback was exciting while it lasted, and I do appreciate the players that caused that.

Anyway, with the disappointment and disgust, and words like horrid and putrid, and others, running through my mind, I decided to wait before posting anything. It was my own fault for caring so much, and actually hoping.

So, just one other thing I wanted to say, which LVRenaisance talked about, and that is how often we come out flat/listless/scared to begin games, including this one. I see body language, too. We came out this way against LSU, the one where we beat them, but the comeback worked. I think Kellie is highly intelligent, cerebral, and analytical, and this is something she needs to consider. Not playing well in the first half, then making a comeback in the second half, happened a lot last year. Just guessing, but I think Kellie spends a lot of time trying to keep Horston on an even keel, not overly hyped up before a game, but whatever is going on in the meeting before the game, needs to be looked at, with changes in mind. It’s a game, important yes, but the players need to be loose, pumped up when they come out on the floor. Maybe change it up, play music, do a little dancing, play the theme from Rocky? Try something new, because if they’re so nervous to start a game, it’s not good.

That’s about it. Looking forward to knowing who will be on the roster next season. I know we’re improving each year, and I believe that will continue. Kellie is probably way more impatient about our team’s NCAA Tournament success than anyone, including me.

GO LADY VOLS!

Great post.

I "liked" your post due to its positive and analytical tone and because it suggested a possible improvement strategy that might work. Of course, we started out like gangbusters against SC, but they also had some slow starts.

Thinking outside the box never hurts. A lot of suggestions have been made (I'm sure the LV staff has already considered some or most of them). Some have suggested from the start that Jon should be replaced with either a more proven post coach or an offensive guru. I highly doubt that Jon will be removed from the staff, but (thinking outside the box) it wouldn't seem impossible to retain him in an unpaid role as consultant/assistant to the coach while using his salary to bring in an extra offensive mind or recruiter. At least, I think that would be doable. It may be a totally silly idea, but I'll throw it out there. The Harpers are financially set, Jon's ego could withstand the hit, and it would assure the restless fans that Kellie is not beyond trying new approaches despite her expressed aversion to change.

Supporting teams and coaches does not mean uncondional, blind allegiance despite what critics of supporters say. There are expectations to be met, and there are areas such as recruiting that have to be examined closely, especially with historic programs that have highly-paid coaching staffs. But some amount of patience is also required, too, and expectations have to be tempered with realism.

About how many more times are you going to post this quote? I believe we’ve all seen it. While you obsess about the “not big on change” sentence, the point of the comment was that consistency breeds better play and each player needed to understand their role and the importance of their contribution was not tied to whether they started or not. Good lord.. to a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail!

If you're concerned about this quote...Maybe Kellie should be as well.

Since there is no detraction, it implies she stands on this quote
further, by continuing to start a rotation that puts us behind in every game we played that we were not supposed to win,,,it shows she is sticking to this thought process

It tells everyone on the team and everyone recruited that if they don't break the lineup from the gitgo,,,they will not start

Lucy, don't you think every recruiter that recruits against us is just waiting to show prospects this quote?
And I am not obsessing, I am trying to keep this visible to the org so THEY will do something to curttail its potential effect

Reactions: Majors
I "liked" your post due to its positive and analytical tone and because it suggested a possible improvement strategy that might work. Of course, we started out like gangbusters against SC, but they also had some slow starts.

Thinking outside the box never hurts. A lot of suggestions have been made (I'm sure the LV staff has already considered some or most of them). Some have suggested from the start that Jon should be replaced with either a more proven post coach or an offensive guru. I highly doubt that Jon will be removed from the staff, but (thinking outside the box) it wouldn't seem impossible to retain him in an unpaid role as consultant/assistant to the coach while using his salary to bring in an extra offensive mind or recruiter. At least, I think that would be doable. It may be a totally silly idea, but I'll throw it out there. The Harpers are financially set, Jon's ego could withstand the hit, and it would assure the restless fans that Kellie is not beyond trying new approaches despite her expressed aversion to change.

Supporting teams and coaches does not mean uncondional, blind allegiance despite what critics of supporters say. There are expectations to be met, and there are areas such as recruiting that have to be examined closely, especially with historic programs that have highly-paid coaching staffs. But some amount of patience is also required, too, and expectations have to be tempered with realism.
Well, Creekdipper, I appreciate the “like”, but actually was a little disappointed that you gave a specific reason for it. I like so many of your posts without being analytical about it. As a fan, I have absolutely no idea of the value of any of our Assistant Coaches. I do feel that Striplin and Jillian may be the two most improved players on the team. So if Jon is their Coach, should he work for free? If thinking out of the box to help the team requires a new Coach, or consultant, I believe Kellie will find a way to make it happen.

I highly doubt that Jon will be removed from the staff, but (thinking outside the box) it wouldn't seem impossible to retain him in an unpaid role as consultant/assistant to the coach while using his salary to bring in an extra offensive mind or recruiter. At least, I think that would be doable. It may be a totally silly idea, but I'll throw it out there. The Harpers are financially set, Jon's ego could withstand the hit, and it would assure the restless fans that Kellie is not beyond trying new approaches despite her expressed aversion to change.

I like your moxie but that would be a gigantic professional slap in the face for him, to say nothing of Harper herself. It's not a question of being financially set at that point, it becomes a question of respect. From an external, "winning is everything" mindset oriented on the program, there might be a way to make some sense of that idea, but for him - and them - whose job is to coach, and whose careers and future employment are built in part on what they do now, that's gonna be like galaxy-sized "nah dawg."

Yep. Sick as I am of the Dawn/Boston sanctification, I'm ready for them to just claim it and be done for this season. They are classy and Dawn has done a great job knitting them together.

Because I'm bitter and petty, I'm more about who I don't want to advance - LSU and Iowa. I don't love Maryland, but I agree they have the best chance against So Car. And Brenda has also done a great job.
I would like Staley and Company to win only
because they are SEC.

Interesting take. The conversation of Jon being moved to an analyst/consultant role has been established long ago by those who are deemed “negative” but interesting others now taking this as a potential stance and it being ok. He should have had that role from day 1.

In the SEC like it or not Dawn Staley now is
the Pat Summit of the 1990s. Even Pat said
In her book Staley was a thorn in Tennessee
side when she played us. Said she was hard to
defend against. JMO her coaching skills speak
for themselves. However she will never be a Pat.
because Pat Head Summit was in a league
of her own.

Reactions: T_Vol376
I like your moxie but that would be a gigantic professional slap in the face for him, to say nothing of Harper herself. It's not a question of being financially set at that point, it becomes a question of respect. From an external, "winning is everything" mindset oriented on the program, there might be a way to make some sense of that idea, but for him - and them - whose job is to coach, and whose careers and future employment are built in part on what they do now, that's gonna be like galaxy-sized "nah dawg."
That would be an incredibly passive/aggresive move against Kellie. Any shuffling of assistants right now would be shuffling the deck chairs, nibbling around the edges. They've only been together two season I believe. Our coaching questions lie squarely w the head coach and whether she can push her career and the program over the edge to elite.
I would like Staley and Company to win only
because they are SEC.
I'm getting there, now kind of in the just get it over with phase. Swore I wasn't going to watch last night but I did. But yeah, half the FF being SEC and also the eventual champ (long as its not LSU) is a good thing.

That would be an incredibly passive/aggresive move against Kellie. Any shuffling of assistants right now would be shuffling the deck chairs, nibbling around the edges. They've only been together two season I believe. Our coaching questions lie squarely w the head coach and whether she can push her career and the program over the edge to elite.

I'm getting there, now kind of in the just get it over with phase. Swore I wasn't going to watch last night but I did. But yeah, half the FF being SEC and also the eventual champ (long as its not LSU) is a good thing.
Agreed,, especially about LSU.

GO LADY VOLS!

I agree with you that the team has a history of coming our slow and flat for bigger games. I have not been able to attend games owing to living in another part of the country now. From the pre-game clips I have seen, the team always looks lose and there is a lot of dancing, smiling, music, and fun.

Low intensity starts are a problem but on the flipside, against Stanford and Uconn they came out pumped and fizzled. I have not kept count but I would bet the LVs have had just as many of good start-poor finish games as the flat start then try to mount a comeback game.

It is very natural to look for psychological explanations for factors that may have more do to with structural problems in game plans or deficiencies in player's games, such as inconsistent shooting. The LVs never recovered defensively from the loss of Tamari. That puzzle just never got solved.

I watched Iowa and Caitlin Clark last night and you can see a new game in play. Shooters all around the floor, spreading defenses out, and moving the ball quickly because they have spacing. They kept Louisville off balance and played good team defense so that Louisville had to work really hard to get their shots.

And Louisville made a run to cut a double digit deficit to 1 point. Every game and team has some ebbs and flows but then Iowa responded with a flurry of threes and some baskets off of TO and never looked back.

If you're concerned about this quote...Maybe Kellie should be as well.

Since there is no detraction, it implies she stands on this quote
further, by continuing to start a rotation that puts us behind in every game we played that we were not supposed to win,,,it shows she is sticking to this thought process

It tells everyone on the team and everyone recruited that if they don't break the lineup from the gitgo,,,they will not start

Lucy, don't you think every recruiter that recruits against us is just waiting to show prospects this quote?
And I am not obsessing, I am trying to keep this visible to the org so THEY will do something to curttail its potential effect
They do not care what you think. They do not care what anyone on this site thinks. This is a fan site not a shadow coaching site. They are not monitoring this for coaching nuggets.

An Iowa v. SC final would be fascinating. It is the old skool game versus the new the "three rules" game. If that happens, I am betting Iowa

Reactions: VOLSanon and glv98
I thought VT was the favorite in the game because I was expecting Kitley to go off on them without Key around to make her life miserable. She had a decent game, but I was not expecting Amoore to ball out like that considering how much Tennessee contained her the first time around. She was really spectacular. Horston and Jackson were like Kitley. They had decent games, but without the benefit of a player like Amoore who really pushed her team to the win. VT's supporting cast also outplayed Tennessee's on offense and defense. Walker had a good game, but everyone else was invisible. You can't beat a team like VT when only 3 players show up.

An Iowa v. SC final would be fascinating. It is the old skool game versus the new the "three rules" game. If that happens, I am betting Iowa
All depends on if the 3 is falling for Iowa. I'm sure it will be for the incredible Clark, but will need to be for the rest.

I wish we could find a middle skool game. Use the 3 as a definite threat and a floor spreader, but also use your paint clogger to full advantage. That way you don't die by dependence on the 3, which is what happens eventually to the 3 rules teams.

VN Store

Back