Game Thread: 2023 Women's NCAA Tournament...Round of 16: Lady Vols v Va. Tech...Sat @ 6:30 ESPN2

Yesssss! I thought about that too! And when Syracuse beat South Carolina that one year in the SS and we play them in the EE and lose! 😩
Not just losing, but they way they lost. They got blown out in every dimension of the game. That was Holly's first bad year when they were a preseason top 5 (sound familiar) and completely underachieved....but it looked like they got it together in the tournament with wins vs ASU and OSU. As bad as they played all season, they beat Syracuse earlier in the year. But they were just awful in that game. I think that was when I officially joined the "Fire Holly" brigade lol.

Well, Creekdipper, I appreciate the “like”, but actually was a little disappointed that you gave a specific reason for it. I like so many of your posts without being analytical about it. As a fan, I have absolutely no idea of the value of any of our Assistant Coaches. I do feel that Striplin and Jillian may be the two most improved players on the team. So if Jon is their Coach, should he work for free? If thinking out of the box to help the team requires a new Coach, or consultant, I believe Kellie will find a way to make it happen.

No disrespect intended, Volfan. I always enjoy your takes and your positivity. I was rather clumsily trying to say that I sometimes hesitate to add a "Like" if it is going to convey 100% agreement with the post...a conundrum that I've never quite figured out. Your post just happened to be the one that was available when I finally expressed that hesitation. Overthinking, as usual. But consider it a compliment that I knew you are a fair-minded, true fan who has proven your support for the program and your value to the forum many times over. In short, I knew you could take a slight jab even if no ill intent was behind it.

That's what's best about this forum, imo. We can discuss without getting nasty or hateful toward the team or each other even when we don't agree 100% on everything. I confess that sometimes the toxicity is discouraging to the point of just leaving tge forum entirely...especially during games and immediately thereafter...but there are enough good folks who are fun to be around that it's worth just avoiding the noise.

Thanks for indulging my blabbermouthedness this morning.

No disrespect intended, Volfan. I always enjoy your takes and your positivity. I was rather clumsily trying to say that I sometimes hesitate to add a "Like" if it is going to convey 100% agreement with the post...a conundrum that I've never quite figured out. Your post just happened to be the one that was available when I finally expressed that hesitation. Overthinking, as usual. But consider it a compliment that I knew you are a fair-minded, true fan who has proven your support for the program and your value to the forum many times over. In short, I knew you could take a slight jab even if no ill intent was behind it.

That's what's best about this forum, imo. We can discuss without getting nasty or hateful toward the team or each other even when we don't agree 100% on everything. I confess that sometimes the toxicity is discouraging to the point of just leaving tge forum entirely...especially during games and immediately thereafter...but there are enough good folks who are fun to be around that it's worth just avoiding the noise.

Thanks for indulging my blabbermouthedness this morning.
I understand about any possible hesitation you might have had, I did vent some, but thank you for the kind gracious words. I appreciate it, and all the compliments apply to you as well. 🙂

Yesssss! I thought about that too! And when Syracuse beat South Carolina that one year in the SS and we play them in the EE and lose! 😩 And then Washington was waiting in the Final Four! I just knew we were going to the championship game that year! 🥲🥲🥲
Yes n now that you brought that up i think that one hurt worst than losing to louisville honestly lol

All depends on if the 3 is falling for Iowa. I'm sure it will be for the incredible Clark, but will need to be for the rest.

I wish we could find a middle skool game. Use the 3 as a definite threat and a floor spreader, but also use your paint clogger to full advantage. That way you don't die by dependence on the 3, which is what happens eventually to the 3 rules teams.

First off, I have become really vested in the idea that the women's game is experiencing the same 3pt. revolution that has reshaped the men's game and that Caitlin Clark is the Steph Curry harbinger. And, Clark (and Iowa) and Steph (Warriors) actually do get a lot of points in the paint from drives, backcuts and mismatches in the post. My analogy is the old football truism that "you have to establish the run to establish the pass" and then a bunch of coaches came along said," wait, that is not a law of physics, it is just some arbitrary belief that has become a self-fulfilling prophecy." And boom, we have the spread offense where teams pass first and the run through the resulting gaps.

Even on those nights when the Caitlin Clark's of the world are not hitting with their usual proficiency, teams still have to respect the ever present threat that they could get hot. The analytics is simply that 33% (a very doable for % most teams on most nights) = 50% from the paint area. If you're shooting 40% from three that is equivalent to 60% from inside the line. Those numbers right there say, you need to get more shooters on the court and freakin bomb away and then take the easy twos when they are close to 100% shot.

As long as any coach talks about how we need to "stop settling for threes" or "pound the paint more," they are playing a game by the old geometry and analytics. When Caitlin pulls up EARLY in the shot clock from the freakin logo, she only has to make one in three of those bombs to scramble the hell out of defenses. I would bet $ (and lots of it) that Caitlin Clark in a UT uniform would get pulled immediately for taking that same shot and that she would not be allowed to play in the style that has made her a college phenom.

Last edited:
Madtownvol,
This needs to be repeated.
Thanks for posting.
Momto2

First off, I have become really vested in the idea that the women's game is experiencing the same 3pt. revolution that has reshaped the men's game and that Caitlin Clark is the Steph Curry harbinger. And, Clark (and Iowa) and Steph (Warriors) actually do get a lot of points in the paint from drives, backcuts and mismatches in the post. My analogy is the old football truism that "you have to establish the run to establish the pass" and then a bunch of coaches came along said," wait, that is not a law of physics, it is just some arbitrary belief that has become a self-fulfilling prophecy." And boom, we have the spread offense where teams pass first and the run through the resulting gaps.

Even on those nights when the Caitlin Clark's of the world are not hitting with their usual proficiency, teams still have to respect the ever present threat that they could get hot. The analytics is simply that 33% (a very doable for % most teams on most nights) = 50% from the paint area. If you're shooting 40% from three that is equivalent to 60% from inside the line. Those numbers right there say, you need to get more shooters on the court and freakin bomb away and then take the easy twos when they are close to 100% shot.

As long as any coach talks about how we need to "stop settling for threes" or "pound the paint more," they are playing a game by the old geometry and analytics. When Caitlin pulls up EARLY in the shot clock from the freakin logo, she only has to make one in three of those bombs to scramble the hell out of defenses. I would bet $ (and lots of it) that Caitlin Clark in a UT uniform would get pulled immediately for taking that same shot and that she would not be allowed to play in the style that has made her a college phenom.

Madtownvol,
Thanks for posting.
Momto2

Change, you say! ? 🤣💥

Madtownvol,
Thanks for posting.
Momto2

Coaching is, getting the job done,, by your players!

In two ways:
Inspire them-Manage them

Caitlin Clark would have to have a coach who can do both

Ya'll may be a bit over the top on the takeover by 3 pointer. I don't think the post game is going to die. It will settle in somewhere in the middle as women's bball has a nice way of doing.

There just aren't enough, or any, Caitlin Clarks out there. So the throw up from the logo game is going to hurt you about as often as help you. The inside and outside game will always need each other to keep the D honest.

Mike Neighbors is an example of a coach who has tried to go all 3 all the time and we see how far that's gotten him. Until there are more 50% 3 pt shooters available, I just don't see it completely taking over.

All that said, we MUST get at least one 3 pt shooter who can shoot 35+% against elite competition. I'm interested to see how much better Rickea can get from distance.

Ya'll may be a bit over the top on the takeover by 3 pointer. I don't think the post game is going to die. It will settle in somewhere in the middle as women's bball has a nice way of doing.

There just aren't enough, or any, Caitlin Clarks out there. So the throw up from the logo game is going to hurt you about as often as help you. The inside and outside game will always need each other to keep the D honest.

Mike Neighbors is an example of a coach who has tried to go all 3 all the time and we see how far that's gotten him. Until there are more 50% 3 pt shooters available, I just don't see it completely taking over.

All that said, we MUST get at least one 3 pt shooter who can shoot 35+% against elite competition. I'm interested to see how much better Rickea can get from distance.

agree
Live by the 3 Die by the 3

Reactions: Lucy

There just aren't enough, or any, Caitlin Clarks out there.

Watching Vtech's Amoore torch folks with her step back 3 so there is another one. But, that is why I said Clark is a harbinger. More and more players are going to emulate that style, just like they did with Steph. Change is coming...note to Kellie.

I predicted without hesitation that we would beat VaTech, so count me in. Shows ya just how much I know!!

Well, you shouldn't feel too bad. We definitely showed that we were capable of beating them. As badly as we played and shot, we still had our chances. Just missed open looks that dropped in earlier games and played lethargically for the whole first half.

As for those who wondered why we let "that little girl" destroy us, she dropped 24 on OSU despite being dragged off the floor after a collision and broke their vaunted press with relative ease. Voted MVP of the regional.

Cold comfort, but we did a much better job than OSU of containing Kitley. Unfortunately, we let Traynor do sone damage. But ultimately we just beat ourselves as we did in other big games. We certainly had an excellent opportunity at reaching a Final Four for the first time in 15 years.

Well, you shouldn't feel too bad. We definitely showed that we were capable of beating them. As badly as we played and shot, we still had our chances. Just missed open looks that dropped in earlier games and played lethargically for the whole first half.

As for those who wondered why we let "that little girl" destroy us, she dropped 24 on OSU despite being dragged off the floor after a collision and broke their vaunted press with relative ease. Voted MVP of the regional.

Cold comfort, but we did a much better job than OSU of containing Kitley. Unfortunately, we let Traynor do sone damage. But ultimately we just beat ourselves as we did in other big games. We certainly had an excellent opportunity at reaching a Final Four for the first time in 15 years.
Virginia Tech vs Ohio State was one of the most entertaining games I have seen in a long time. Hats off to Kitley and Amoore. What a combination. If they play like they did against Ohio State then LSU has no chance. Which would suit me just fine.

VN Store

Back