Game Thread: #5 Tennessee (19-11, 10-6 SEC) vs #1 South Carolina (30-0, 16-0 SEC) Saturday 3/9/24 ~4:30 pm ET (ESPNU)

I’m not so sure this is a motivating loss. This may have just deflated the whole team. I hope not, but that’s just sickening.
I had the exact same thought. I worry that it will be really hard to bounce back from this. Kellie just looked totally devastated and Spear was in tears. Powell should've made those free throws - even one! - but I really feel for her, too.

I can’t wait to hear the inevitable excuse for why any player was left that open with 1.1 seconds on the clock. Terrible decision to ignore a player of that caliber.

Reactions: maple and Ratvol
If it was 2 inches to the left, we would have a whole different tone for KJH. That’s how fickle our fans are. No credit whatsoever for us being in that game especially after the slow start. Incredible effort and we outplayed & outcoached them.

But it wasn’t.

Reactions: TN1111
Was really bad strategy on our part. You need to pressure the inbounder. you need to have at least two defenders out at the three point line. I don't know what we were doing. Just terrible strategy.

Not sure i agree with the language. But she actually has lost to the only undefeated team 3 times this year. And had a chance here and for some odd reason chose not to cover the inbounder or the center.
The Kellie supporters coming out now

Because I'm not a horrible person and the near tears in her eyes as she fell to her knees showed how much she wanted that. There's a time and place to pile it on her, but today isn't it.
I don’t feel sorry for bad employees. She is not a bad person but she is not a good basketball coach. Sometimes you have to let bad employees go. That is not being a terrible person.

If it was 2 inches to the left, we would have a whole different tone for KJH. That’s how fickle our fans are. No credit whatsoever for us being in that game especially after the slow start. Incredible effort and we outplayed & outcoached them.

I don't know how much of it is fickleness this time. We certainly didn't outcoach or outplay them on the final play of the game - but we did give them a highlight reel they'll play for the next ten years on ESPN.

I don't know. The level of unpreparedness to handle success there was hard to understand. A lot of good coaching is about handling situations, and in that situation, Tennessee didn't handle anything very well.

Reactions: acd4476 and TN1111
Wrong. We put Key in the paint for a reason--so they couldn't throw it in the paint and get an 12 footer. That was actually very sound strategy.
That said, somebody should have run out to her when it was obvious the ball was going to her. But Powell cost us this game--not that play.

Wrong. We put Key in the paint for a reason--so they couldn't throw it in the paint and get an 12 footer. That was actually very sound strategy.
That said, somebody should have run out to her when it was obvious the ball was going to her. But Powell cost us this game--not that play.
Official giving them two free throws after clock it zero.

VN Store

Back