Game Thread: #5 Tennessee (19-11, 10-6 SEC) vs #1 South Carolina (30-0, 16-0 SEC) Saturday 3/9/24 ~4:30 pm ET (ESPNU)

Our coaches and players had a tremendous game, period. South Carolina is an incredible team and they had to bank in a 3 at the buzzer by a 4th year player who has never hit a 3 to beat us. Not to mention the officials have USC free 2 points at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Go Lady Vols!

You have to call a timeout in that situation. We have two players not even around someone to guard. Powell and Kelli both caused a loss.

You let an inbounder go unguarded with 1.1 seconds is just not good strategy. I have to blame the coaches. You need someone on the inbounder from half court make that pass hard.

What I can’t understand is why two players were unguarded. The inbounder and Cardoso, have never seen that strategy employed.

I can understand not guarding the inbounder to double and deny but that also means everyone else has to matchup and deny.

Would have been best to play straight up and everyone guard their man and deny. If you foul, so what. We had a foul to give.

6'7 that doesn't score outside the paint and who's never hit a 3-pointer? Really?

With 1.1 seconds left? Yes, really. If there’s 11 seconds left, then it’s fine to leave her open because she’s looking to pass. With just a second left, whoever gets the ball is shooting it. It’s foolish to not contest the shot.

Well signing out. That’s enough internet for today.

See you all for the NCAAs I guess. If we make it!

No matter what we say, give the team it's props, they played a great game. This is the game attitude they needed for every game they played this year. If the Ladies take that same attitude into the NCAAs, they should at least make it to the elite 8, dictated by the bracket they land in. But no matter what if they keep this same attitude, they will be a tough out. KJH may not be able to coach effort but she certainly can demand it.

She was protecting the lob pass. No one thought Cordosa of all players would actually step back to take a three.
There was 1.1 second. That is a catch and shoot. With where Jackson was there was no chance for a lob towards the baseline. Complete lack of awareness on Key and horrible coaching.

lol some individuals acting like Tennessee left Caitlin Clark wide open .

With 1.1 seconds left, there’s no reason to leave anyone that wide open. Whoever catches it has to shoot and it’s not like there’s going to be enough time for an offensive rebound. Packing the lane like we did and leaving her completely uncontested was playing with fire to put it kindly. We got burned.

Reactions: lutra
And now ESPN and social media is flooded with "MUST-SEE BUZZER BEATER" videos and articles. The hits just keep on coming. This is gonna haunt the Tennessee program for years.

Par for the course. Everyone’s favorite punching bag and our coach doesn’t seem to have an answer. Just one embarrassment after another.

How many ranked teams have we beaten this year again?

So proud of this team and staff. They have really improved through out the season. A 23 point comeback to lose by a point to the #1 team. What heart and fight they showed. Came down to a little luck for SC. Hopefully the luck will be ours in the tournament
I’m sure the kids are crushed but there are games still to be played. Love this team and staff!!!!

What I can’t understand is why two players were unguarded. The inbounder and Cardoso, have never seen that strategy employed.

I can understand not guarding the inbounder to double and deny but that also means everyone else has to matchup and deny.

Would have been best to play straight up and everyone guard their man and deny. If you foul, so what. We had a foul to give.
Stupid call timeout when no one was on the inbounder. She was at half court put someone tall on her Tamari or Jill make that pass hard. Not like it wasn't a long pass to make. Bad coaching sorry sometimes players miss free throws, but you never ever let a player make a free pass.

So proud of this team and staff. They have really improved through out the season. A 23 point comeback to lose by a point to the #1 team. What heart and fight they showed. Came down to a little luck for SC. Hopefully the luck will be ours in the tournament
I’m sure the kids are crushed but there are games still to be played. Love this team and staff!!!!
This is bait

Reactions: BisonVol
Missing 2 free throws is not a coaching problem. Trying to holler frantically from the sidelines of what to do on defense with 1.1 on the clock is not being prepared for that situation and does fall on the coach. All late game situations have to be practiced. That situation had never been practiced. Everyone knows you have time to catch and shoot with 1.1. The analytics sheet privy to every coach, shows how much time you have to catch and shoot. Therefore, to not even attempt to contest a shot says they had never prepared for that moment. If Vols are up by 4 then you do the don't guard defense. Elite 8 and all will be forgotten.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back