Game Thread: #5 Tennessee (19-11, 10-6 SEC) vs #1 South Carolina (30-0, 16-0 SEC) Saturday 3/9/24 ~4:30 pm ET (ESPNU)

Instead of deliberately misinterpreting why people are upset maybe you should ask yourself why anyone is left open with 1 second left

Because the odds are a million to 1 that a 6'7" big standing 28 feet from the basket is going to win the game. The other four SC players
can tie or win the game. And odds are, they are going to try and throw the ball to someone close to the basket. So our defense was understandable. It would be like SC leaving Key open 28 feet from the basket. Powell blew the game--and Spear's foul was not what we should have done there. Powell tried to relieve the pressure on her free-throws by shooting them quickly--exactly what you shouldn't do. You can't miss 2 FTS there--you just can't.

You mean a player who has never made a 3 pointer?
She never was called upon to shoot from outside. That doesn’t mean she cannot shoot from outside. She’s a tremendous player and you cannot let her catch and shoot with absolutely no pressure of any nature. When was the last time you have ever seen a player that wide open on purpose? Terrible decision.

You know, I've stayed quite since my last post weeks ago...I've patiently watched the games and said nothing...The ladies have played well down the stretch and great in this tournament...their tears at the end of the game should have been tears of joy NOT sorry...I just feel so bad for them...SC knew they had all but lost this game...and then the unnecessary miracle happened 😔...this one is tough...I hope they can rebound from this and ready themselves for the NCAAs...they've been playing so well...as always, GO LVFL 🧡💙🏀💙🧡

Because the odds are a million to 1 that a 6'7" big standing 28 feet from the basket is going to win the game. The other four SC players
can tie or win the game. And odds are, they are going to try and throw the ball to someone close to the basket. So our defense was understandable. It would be like SC leaving Key open 28 feet from the basket. Powell blew the game--and Spear's foul was not what we should have done there. Powell tried to relieve the pressure on her free-throws by shooting them quickly--exactly what you shouldn't do. You can't miss 2 FTS there--you just can't.
Yeah I’m not reading all that but whatever you said is not a good reason to have two people guarding air while leaving someone wide open to shoot

The way we stood around on that last play you would have thought we were up by 4 and trying not to foul on the 3.
Was key looking in the crowd for someone. Because the girl she was supposed to be with caught a ball the was lobbed and made a wide open attempt. She was standing under the basket with a great view.

Stupid call timeout when no one was on the inbounder. She was at half court put someone tall on her Tamari or Jill make that pass hard. Not like it wasn't a long pass to make. Bad coaching sorry sometimes players miss free throws, but you never ever let a player make a free pass.
Yes the free throws is not the problem it would have sealed it but no defense at all just quit before time ended

This really hurts. I’d rather been blown out by SC today than lose like that. Heartbreaking.
Agreed, I just feel sick.

But wow, what a comeback. I have to give Striplin a lot of credit even though I'm not sure she even played in the 2nd half. When we were down 23 she came in with positive energy off the bench when just about everyone else looked ready to call it quits. That 7-0 run to close the quarter really turned things around and the set the stage for the 2nd half comeback. I also thought Wynn played very much within herself and stayed composed.

And then Jewel and Rickea. So happy for Jewel for her to have such a fantastic game against the best team in the country. Sure wish it had been her shooting those last 2 free throws. And Rickea, that has to be a career-high with those 8 assists. Credit to her and the coaches for finding ways to keep her involved even when she wasn't scoring, and then finding ways for her to make some incredible plays down the stretch. So happy she became a Tennessee Vol.

We made enough 3s (8), kept our turnovers down (12), outrebounded them in the second half, made big play after big play...and yet it still wasn't good enough. Just sucks.

And now ESPN and social media is flooded with "MUST-SEE BUZZER BEATER" videos and articles. The hits just keep on coming. This is gonna haunt the Tennessee program for years.
Can't haunt a program that is dead.

I remember the good days and those are long gone.

Maybe new coaches can breathe some life into the program.

This is on the coaching. No reason to leave any player open with 1 second left in the game - NONE. I have generally been supportive of Kelly but this was inexcusable. Just guard every player tight with 1 second left, and if someone finds a way to make a shot, so be it, but leaving a player wide open, simply NO EXCUSE. I feel bad for the ladies, but they need better coaching.

If you go back and watch the last play, you see both Rickea and TK pointing to Kamilla as Raven passes it to her. We literally had two players not playing any defense. I can’t believe it.

VN Store

Back