Game Winning Drive. Who's your QB...1998-2012????

RDU VOL#14

I’m a Flawed Character
Another thread got me thinking about a hypothetical... if you could pick 1 QB to lead our Vols in a 2 minute final touchdown drive to win a game vs. Bama or whoever since Manning left, who would you choose?

Your choices...

Tee Martin
AJ Suggs
Casey Clausen
Erik Ainge
Rick Clausen
Jonathan Crompton
Matt Simms
Tyler Bray

I realized I left out Banks, Schaeffer, Matthews and Stephens, but who the hell would choose them?

To answer my own question... I'm going with the Iceman. Other than Suggs and Rick Clausen, Casey Clausen was the least talented physically of that group, but he was a winner.

Interested to read your responses.

Less than 2 weeks guys. We're getting there.

Last edited:
Another thread got me thinking about a hypothetical... if you could pick 1 QB to lead our Vols in a 2 minute final touchdown drive to win a game vs. Bama or whoever since Manning left, who would you choose?

Your choices...

Tee Martin
AJ Suggs
Casey Clausen
Erik Ainge
Rick Clausen
Jonathan Crompton
Matt Simms
Tyler Bray

I realized I left out Banks, Schaeffer, Matthews and Stephens, but who the hell would choose them?

To answer my own question... I'm going with the Iceman. Other than Suggs, Clausen was the least talented physically of that group, but he was a winner.

Less than 2 weeks guys....

There's no doubt it's Casey Clause. I don't think anyone could make a legitimate claim otherwise. We were behind in the 4th quarter AT BOTH Alabama and Notre Dame in 2001, and we came back and won because of the clutch drives he engineered. He didn't sweat a third and nine when behind in the 4th quarter. He beat Florida twice. ON THE ROAD. Beat Miami. ON THE ROAD. Lit Michigan up on New Year's Day. Easily the last great bowl win for the program. Tee did win a national championship by making two of the greatest deep throws in championship game history. Those throws in that game were as clutch as it gets. After Tee, there's a big drop off to the next QB.

Reactions: 3 people
As far as Manning and everyone before, Peyton likely doesn't get the nod, if we're isolating into that particular position, down and distance. Probably Andy Kelley.

Reactions: 1 person
Jim Bob Cooter endofthread/

jimbob.gif

I'm going with Rick and or Casey at QB...Rick did it at LSU and Casey was amazing in Miami
Travis Henry at Tailback.
Give me Justin Hunter, CP, Robert Meachem, and Gerald Jones at WR...

Last years o line should do just fine
😎

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 7
Martin was extremely clutch, one of the top options, if not the top.
lol Suggs.
Clausen is right up there with Martin.
Ainge will got a lot of flak, but he had his share of clutch moments. 04 Florida, 04 Miss, 06 Bama and 06 Georgia come to mind.
Rick wasn't terrible in 04, not really clutch though
Crompton wasn't bad in the last half of 09, had a clutch moment vs Bama, but not much outside of that.
Bray was shaky in the clutch.

lol Matt Simms

Overall, I'd rank it:

1. Martin
2. Clausen
3. Ainge

Forget about the rest. But those 3 are close overall.

You put Simms on the list! That's hysterical. I'll go with Martin, the guy that actually won a national title.

lol Suggs.
Ainge will got a lot of flak, but he had his share of clutch moments. 04 Florida, 04 Miss, 06 Bama and 06 Georgia come to mind.

Crompton wasn't bad in the last half of 09, had a clutch moment vs Bama, but not much outside of that.

lol Matt Simms

Overall, I'd rank it:

1. Martin
2. Clausen
3. Ainge

Ainge threw more pics vs LSU in the championship game than I've seen in my life

Ainge threw more pics vs LSU in the championship game than I've seen in my life

I'm sure Joe Montana had a bad game or two in his career, too. Doesn't stop him from being the most clutch QB in history.

Not that Ainge is Montana by any means, but Ainge had more good than bad.

Reactions: 2 people

Your choices...

Tee Martin
AJ Suggs
Casey Clausen
Erik Ainge
Rick Clausen
Jonathan Crompton
Matt Simms
Tyler Bray

To answer my own question... I'm going with the Iceman. Other than Suggs and Rick Clausen, Casey Clausen was the least talented physically of that group, but he was a winner.

Interested to read your responses.

Less than 2 weeks guys. We're getting there.

Definitely the Iceman, with Tee coming a close second. Casey was one of the winningest QB's to play here at Tennessee, and was as tough as it gets. I'll never forget when he converted that 4th and 19 in OT against Bama in Bryant-Denny. Just incredible.

However, Ainge doesn't get enough credit on here for his time at Tennessee. He had amazing year as a Freshman, and went on to beat Florida, Georgia, and Alabama which isn't any easy feat by no means. Of course he would soon get injured, but Ainge helped us win the East that year. And his clutch performance against Kentucky in 07 was historical. He had a great career at Tennessee with exception of his sophomore year.

You put Simms on the list! That's hysterical. I'll go with Martin, the guy that actually won a national title.

I know it is, but he threw an OT game winning TD and started enough games that I thought he should've been included.

lol Suggs.

lol Matt Simms

Overall, I'd rank it:

1. Martin
2. Clausen
3. Ainge

Ainge was nowhere near as clutch as either Clausen or Martin. I can't believe you actually posted they're close. Ainge had as many or more chokes in the 4th quarter as he had comebacks. Especially against our top rivals.

Not to offend you, but how old are you?

The only list that Matt Simms deserves to be on is "worst QB in UT history".

No argument from me. I'm continually amazed that he keeps a roster spot on the Jets. I don't care if it is the Jets, it's simply amazing that he is a QB in the National Football League.

Ainge was nowhere near as clutch as either Clausen or Martin. I can't believe you actually posted they're close. Ainge had as many or more chokes in the 4th quarter as he had comebacks. Especially against our top rivals.

I'm going to guess 24.

No argument from me. I'm continually amazed that he keeps a roster spot on the Jets. I don't care that it is the Jets, it's simply amazing that he is a QB in the National Football League.

Every team needs a tackling dummy at QB, the Jets have three of them.

I'm sure Joe Montana had a bad game or two in his career, too. Doesn't stop him from being the most clutch QB in history.

Not that Ainge is Montana by any means, but Ainge had more good than bad.

Still nowhere near the clutch of Clausen or Martin. Still can't believe you're putting Ainge anywhere near them. You lose fandom points for such absurd recollections of history:)

Ainge didn't really choke that often. 05 was a bad year for everyone, I try not to count that, but if you want to, that's fine. Outside of 05, the LSU game was bad..but it happens.

Overall, outside of the 2005 season, I felt confident with Ainge under center. He wasn't the greatest QB to ever play, nor the most clutch, but he was pretty good, and gave us a chance to win.

I'm 24.

Still nowhere near the clutch of Clausen or Martin. Still can't believe you're putting Ainge anywhere near them. You lose fandom points for such absurd recollections of history:)

Well, if you want to get really in depth about it, Clausen had his bad moments just like Ainge, and weirdly enough, they happened most often at home.

Neither Clausen or Ainge were perfect QBs. Both were very good ones, though.

Ainge didn't really choke that often. 05 was a bad year for everyone, I try not to count that, but if you want to, that's fine. Outside of 05, the LSU game was bad..but it happens.

Overall, outside of the 2005 season, I felt confident with Ainge under center. He wasn't the greatest QB to ever play, nor the most clutch, but he was pretty good, and gave us a chance to win.

I'm 24.
"

Watch 2006 Florida at UT? It's on all the time on CSS. See 4th quarter.

Regardless, the question is a scenario based on a pressure packed 4th quarter situation. "Nor the most clutch", in your own words you've eliminated him as anything close to Clausen or Martin yet in your rankings, you say it's close.

Well, if you want to get really in depth about it, Clausen had his bad moments just like Ainge, and weirdly enough, they happened most often at home.

Neither Clausen or Ainge were perfect QBs. Both were very good ones, though.

Name the games in which Clausen couldn't rally us back in a tight game in the 4th quarter.

Sorry, but Ainge is nowhere near being equal overall to Clausen either.

"

Watch 2006 Florida at UT? It's on all the time on CSS. See 4th quarter.

Regardless, the question is a scenario based on a pressure packed 4th quarter situation. "Nor the most clutch", in your own words you've eliminated him as anything close to Clausen or Martin yet in your rankings, you say it's close.

Watch the 02 peach bowl, the 03 Georgia game, the 02 Bama game, as a couple examples.

Again, neither Clausen nor Ainge were perfect by any means.

VN Store

Back