Gerald Mincey to the portal

At first glance, this sucks. But it's not outside the realm of possibilities that we make an upgrade at RT. Mincey got beat a lot in 2023.
Very true, he was a serviceable starting SEC Olineman, but he was still the best we had. I don't think you run off your first line talent.
The members who think there is a grand scheme by our coaching staff to upgrade the entire secondary and each player entering the Portal is dreaming. We were very fortunate to play a team that could not exploit our defensive weaknesses. We have no idea how the new secondary would have fared against a team with a passing attack with routes deeper than 3yds from the line of scrimmage, receivers going out and curling back to the line of scrimmage.

The VOLS in the portal are shopping their wares around and seeing if they can get more NIL. Some will. Some won't.
Mincey and those DBs in the Portal are not losing their starting spots by being recruited over yet, or replaced by better talent in the Portal.
I expect a few of them will be rewarded with slightly richer deals.
A smaller number will probably return to the roster when it is all said and done.

Reactions: MegaVol615
Very true, he was a serviceable starting SEC Olineman, but he was still the best we had. I don't think you run off your first line talent.
The members who think there is a grand scheme by our coaching staff to upgrade the entire secondary and each player entering the Portal is dreaming. We were very fortunate to play a team that could not exploit our defensive weaknesses. We have no idea how the new secondary would have fared against a team with a passing attack with routes deeper than 3yds from the line of scrimmage, receivers going out and curling back to the line of scrimmage.

The VOLS in the portal are shopping their wares around and seeing if they can get more NIL. Some will. Some won't.
Mincey and those DBs in the Portal are not losing their starting spots by being recruited over yet, or replaced by better talent in the Portal.
A smaller number will probably return to the roster when it is all said and done.
Has anyone except Tyler Baron had the "jump in the portal and they'll pay me more" strategy work at TN?

I can't think of anyone, at least anyone of significance except Baron, who jumped in and ended up back on the team.

Has anyone except Tyler Baron had the "jump in the portal and they'll pay me more" strategy work at TN?

I can't think of anyone, at least anyone of significance except Baron, who jumped in and ended up back on the team.
Who got their walking papers? I hear lots of noise, but who knows something?
I said, "they are shopping their wares", and they all are.
I simply think it should not surprise us to see two or three of our starters in the Portal to return.

Gerald Mincey NIL Profile
Mincey's NIL valuation (est.) peaked at $229k in November, and had dropped to $139k as of now.
That is #678 valuation in CFB. Higher than I expected, but I doubt he is looking to sign an NIL deal for the lower value, which is what most players are offered, especially if not
in-demand.
Someone will make a space for a seasoned SEC starter. I don't seriously think Mincey would return, but a DB or two may show back up.

Last edited:
Who got their walking papers? I hear lots of noise, but who knows something?
I said, "they are shopping their wares", and they all are.
I simply think it should not surprise us to see two or three of our starters in the Portal to return.

Gerald Mincey NIL Profile
Mincey's NIL valuation (est.) peaked at $229k in November, and had dropped to $139k as of now.
That is #678 valuation in CFB. Higher than I expected, but I doubt he is looking to sign an NIL deal for the lower value, which is what most players are offered, especially if not
in-demand.
Someone will make a space for a seasoned SEC starter. I don't seriously think Mincey would return, but a DB or two may show back up.
That's why I mentioned Baron. I can't think of anyone who came back and played except him. It's pure speculation whether the others "shopped around and got a better deal elsewhere, wanted to leave, or were told they should leave."

It's just my way of thinking but it's kind of like threatening a divorce. It's one thing to be upset, want things to change, etc but once you file for divorce, my attitude would change. Couldn't we work this out more privately?

I think of the portal as "I'm done talking with you and I'm moving on." I'm just not sure a significant percentage of significant players have "jumped in and come back" at any school to make that a "strategy."

I suspect that Baron was wanted and offered more to come back and I think I recall a few other "higher profile" guys at other schools who went in and then came back, but there's not many.

If you hit the portal, you'd better be dang sure you have value out there (and Mincey likely does) if you're trying to squeeze your current team or you may find yourself on the porch with nowhere to go and the door locked.

Reactions: SpookyAction
If he cashed a check, then dipped out, that's a problem we don't want to see become a habit for guys.

I'm obviously not sure that's what happened but it looks skeezy from here.

College football has gotten skeezy. It makes zero sense for a rising senior starter to enter the portal unless he cynically thinks
that another school will give him more money. And let's call BS on NIL money in the first place, as nobody is buying Mincey jerseys
or mugs--and I'm quite sure there isn't any Mincey merch, and there won't be any next year. Players aren't being paid for NIL; they're just being paid, and if this is what CF has become, then it's an embarrassment. Welcome to pro football. I'll have none of it--even if a lot of crazy fans--most of whom have not been to college and so don't understand the college experience--are cool with it. So we'll have to replace him by offering cash to some other dude in the portal? It's all a bunch of money-grubbing, seedy nonsense.

Lastly, I'm not sure it's the case with Mincey, may or may not be, but there's a ton of tampering going on now with players, on top of all the rest of the new absurdities.

Reactions: GBOx2 and Voltopia
Dude could barely stay on the field and was a liability most of the time when on it. I see it as a chance to upgrade. Mincey is not the standard, he is barely better than a couple of walk-ons.

College football has gotten skeezy. It makes zero sense for a rising senior starter to enter the portal unless he cynically thinks
that another school will give him more money. And let's call BS on NIL money in the first place, as nobody is buying Mincey jerseys
or mugs--and I'm quite sure there isn't any Mincey merch, and there won't be any next year. Players aren't being paid for NIL; they're just being paid, and if this is what CF has become, then it's an embarrassment. Welcome to pro football. I'll have none of it--even if a lot of crazy fans--most of whom have not been to college and so don't understand the college experience--are cool with it. So we'll have to replace him by offering cash to some other dude in the portal? It's all a bunch of money-grubbing, seedy nonsense.

Lastly, I'm not sure it's the case with Mincey, may or may not be, but there's a ton of tampering going on now with players, on top of all the rest of the new absurdities.
It's pretty late in the game to pin money grubbing on the players. Why are the conferences realigning and consolidating? Money. What did Gundy do to Oklahoma State a time or two? Threaten to leave or get paid.

Are the players being motivated by money? Some are. Yep. They're just the last ones in the game to start reaching for dollars though.

And even then, no one thinks major colleges weren't compensating elite players forever. It's been a money to play game in big-time college football and basketball even longer than the schools have made big TV money.

I'm not sure what "innocence" in big-time college football and basketball you're looking for but it's probably not existed in your lifetime.

Nine Alabama football players entered the NCAA transfer portal on Wednesday. All nine entries became official in the span of 15 minutes.

Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide were expecting transfer portal entries following their loss to No. 1 Michigan in the College Football Playoff. But still, nine players leaving the program in 15 minutes is practically unheard of.
Saban cleaning his squad to make room for 28 new 5&4 star recruits and portal transfers.

I don't think those new deals will be with Tennessee. If they are, they would be the ones who opt out of the bowl game unless we are in the top 4 who get a Bye.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Nine Alabama football players entered the NCAA transfer portal on Wednesday. All nine entries became official in the span of 15 minutes.

Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide were expecting transfer portal entries following their loss to No. 1 Michigan in the College Football Playoff. But still, nine players leaving the program in 15 minutes is practically unheard of.
Any projected starters?

So now that we have the bad luck out of the way, Spraggins should come back and even things out.

Mincey wasn't the best but he was certainly serviceable.

VN Store

Back