Give me your wins

I just can't agree with this as I have never seen someone half-ass and quit like this guy did at my school. So much potential and not a single quality win, not ONE. There is a lot more to a QB than his arm people.

Every response to this post has been focused on Bray. I also mentioned TE and WR but I'll stick with Bray and hope this doesn't turn into another Bray stole my girlfriend thread. How do replace the yards and TD's? There is more to a team than QB but against USCe, Mizzoo, and even UF and UGA he made enough plays to win the games. Bray made a lot of tough throws seem easy. I admit he could have shown more leadership attributes (I consider the regime in charge as well) but there is a physical gap that will be noticeable on a lot of throws Bray could make. I think 281 yards vs UGA, 257 vs UF, 368 vs USCe and 404 vs Mizzoo were pretty good and under most circumstances would have equated to wins. Against MSU we ran for over 200 yards and didn't ask much from Bray and we still lost.

Games/Starts: 12/12
  • On Tennessee all-time career lists, in 28 college games:
  • Fourth in touchdowns (69), next #3 Erik Ainge (72)
  • Fourth in pass yards (7,444) next, #3 Erik Ainge (8,700)
  • Fifth in completions (540), next #3 Erik Ainge (733)
  • Fourth in attempts (922), next #3 Erik Ainge (1,210)
  • Among all active quarterbacks in the NCAA ranks:
  • Sixth in passing yards per game (265.9)
  • Sixth in total offense per play (7.36)
  • Eighth in career passing touchdowns (69)
  • 13th in total offense per game (258.5)
  • 15th in passing efficiency (145.01)
  • With 34 touchdown passes, posted seventh-most TD passes in a season in SEC history
  • His 3,619 passing yards rank as the 11th-best in a single-season in SEC history
  • 13-11 record in 24 starts with 298 passing yards per game with 300 or more passing yards in 12 of those games
  • Among active SEC QBs, has most career 300-yard games
  • UT Record 530 passing yards vs. Troy, breaking Peyton Manning's record of 523 vs. Kentucky in 1997
  • 530 passing yards is second-most by an SEC quarterback to Georgia's Eric Zeier (544) in 1993
  • Four career 400-yard passing games, only Vol other than Peyton Manning (three times) to throw for 400 yards in a game in Tennessee history
  • 12 career 300-yard games including six this season
  • Two career games with five TD passes
  • 10 career games with four TD passes of more
  • Three of more TD passes in 13 games, all in last 23 games
  • Multiple touchdown passes in 21 games, all in last 24, including 10 games in 2012
  • Six-game streak of multiple touchdowns, third-longest in UT history; owns record of 10, Manning had seven
  • Completed 14 consecutive passes (ending Georgia State game-13 and first pass vs. Florida) for third-longest streak in UT history behind Erik Ainge (15 in 2006) and No. 1 is Tee Martin with 25 in 1998
  • In 2012, has 146.25 passing rating in 12 starts with 3,612 yards (301.0 per game) on 59.4 completion percentage with 34 touchdowns and 12 interceptions
  • Just the 4th Vols QB with a 3,000-yard passing season
  • Ranks among national leaders in 2012:
  • 10th in total passing yards with 3,612
  • Tied for sixth in passing touchdowns with 34
  • 13th in NCAA in passing yards per game (301.0)
  • 2012 season totals that rank on top 10 single-season lists:
  • 2nd in passing touchdowns (34)/Record: Manning (36)
  • 2nd in passing yards (3,612)/Record: Manning (3,819)
  • 3rd in completions (268)/Record: Ainge (325)
  • 3rd in passing attempts (451)/Record: Ainge (519)
  • Tied school record for completions in a game with 37 vs. Missouri - P.Manning (UF, 1996), A.J. Suggs (LSU, 2000)
  • Went 117 pass attempts without an interception (Nov. 3-17), sixth-longest streak in UT history, his longest
  • Began 2012 with 65 pass attempts without interception
  • Closed 2012 throwing for 293 yards on 20-of-34 with four touchdowns vs. Kentucky (11/17)
  • Third 400-yard game of 2012 with 404 yards on career-highs of 37 completions and 54 pass attempts with four touchdowns vs. Missouri (11/10); Tied school record for completions with 37, seventh-most attempts in a game
  • Set UT record with 530 passing yards on 29-of-47 with career-high tying five touchdowns vs. Troy (11/3)
  • Tossed four touchdown passes as part of 368 yards on 27-of-43 at #17 South Carolina (10/27)
  • Threw for 281 yards on 24-of-45 with two touchdowns at #5 Georgia (9/29)
  • Second-career 400-yard passing game with 401 vs. Akron (9/22), completing 27-of-43 with four touchdowns
  • Threw for 257 yards on 22-of-44 with two touchdowns and two INTs vs. #18 Florida (9/15)
  • Became first Vol QB to punt since Heath Shuler with 41-yard boot vs. Florida
  • Personal-best completion percentage at 90.0 (18-of-20) against Georgia State (9/8), throwing for 310 yards and four touchdowns
  • One of nine finalists for the Manning Award Player of the Week after his performance vs. NC State (8/31)
  • Began 2012 with 333 yards on 27-of-41 with two touchdowns vs. NC State (8/31)

Last edited:
I put your Senator in the same pot as the fat bast@rd from New Jersey, and my 2 Senators from Tennessee. I'm done with all of them.

I really had high hopes nationally for Rubio. I am on the irritated side as well.

A hard schedule is one that has many great teams on it like Alabama, Florida, Georgia, SC, Oregon. Last time I knew, no matter who it is, its hard. The SEC now is more difficult than any conference in the past as there are how many SEC teams are in the top ten recruiting. We've been playing hard schedules for years. Look at the big east's schedule, that's about your average D-1 competition. We play teams way more talented than any other conference.
We won't start a true freshman unless he's an EE with bowl practice. I can see Butch starting Fergy late season because of his mentality. It takes a unique personality to start as a freshman, and I really like Peterman.

All the teams you listed we play every year, Oregon being the exception and they're not SEC.

All the teams you listed we play every year, Oregon being the exception and they're not SEC.

I am waiting for the day to return when teams are saying they wish we weren't on the schedule. If recruiting holds it could be .......... soon.

I'm gonna go nuts and say 9-3. Games are won in the trenches, and our Oline and Dline should be very good this year. Frankly, I think too much is being made of the situation at QB and WR. In 2009, we had Crompton and Stephens coming back as our 2 QB's, and no one believed in those 2 guys. We didn't have any proven receivers or running backs. We had an undersized Oline with 2 walk-ons starting. That team went 7-5 and could have easily won 9 games. I think this team will be similar to the '09 team. Some weeks they'll look like SEC Champions (a la the Alabama game). Some weeks they'll stink to high hell (a la the UCLA game). I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'll be more realistic once the season starts. For now, I enjoy being optimistic! :)

Yea, everyone knows QB's and WR's are WAY overrated! I mean.......who needs 'em! :p:hi:

Austin Peay-W

Western Kentucky-W

@Oregon-L

@Florida-L

South Alabama-W

Georgia-L

South Carolina-L

@Alabama-L

@Missouri-W

Auburn-W

Vanderbilt-W

@Kentucky-W

7-5 (5-3)

We are arguing past each other. I'm not, nor have I ever said that Florida's achievements aren't remarkable in context of the NCAA. What I have said is that when you wipe away vanity and pre conceived notions of what actually creates success on the field that Florida is under performing.

I mean are you really arguing that Florida shouldn't have beaten Louisville (as one example)? If no, why? The answer is talent disparity, right? Do that for every game since 2008 and you'll begin to see a pattern develop. That is reality.

I totally understand that this is a remarkable paradigm shift that threatens many traditional subjective football notions. I don't expect you to agree, you're human and that sort of perception shift is hard especially when a huge part of ego is connected to the conclusion that your team/ego are commendable for achievement. The reality is that it can be both:sleep soundly knowing that your team/ego will continue to click off wins for the forseeable future without being threatened by the reality that you could be much better.

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

You can't use multiple SUBJECTIVE evaluations of 18 year-old, (not fully developed) human beings to predict future success on the football field, in some cases 4 or 5 years in the future, without a large margin of error. There are too many variables. Players leaving the team, injuries, sickness, arrests, academic issues, personal issues, coaching changes, drug use, shoddy player evaluations, locker room issues, home field advantage, skill of athletic trainers, resources available at each school, steroid use or other performance enhancing techniques... etc...

There are probably literally hundreds of variables, if not thousands, spread out over the evaluation, players, coaches, institutions, and games themselves.

Anyone that tells you they can predict these games without a large margin of error is trying to sell you something.

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

You can't use multiple SUBJECTIVE evaluations of 18 year-old, (not fully developed) human beings to predict future success on the football field, in some cases 4 or 5 years in the future, without a large margin of error. There are too many variables. Players leaving the team, injuries, sickness, arrests, academic issues, personal issues, coaching changes, drug use, shoddy player evaluations, locker room issues, home field advantage, skill of athletic trainers, resources available at each school, steroid use or other performance enhancing techniques... etc...

There are probably literally hundreds of variables, if not thousands, spread out over the evaluation, players, coaches, institutions, and games themselves.

Anyone that tells you they can predict these games without a large margin of error is trying to sell you something.

So, you're telling me you've completed hundreds of hours of numerical calculations, tested the results, and came to a totally different conclusions? If so, share them. I'd love to see.

Reactions: 1 person
So, you're telling me you've completed hundreds of hours of numerical calculations, tested the results, and came to a totally different conclusions? If so, share them. I'd love to see.

congratulations dude. You, like literally millions of academics before you are using a numbers based on subjective human measurements and claiming you can determine a definitive answer to a question with no absolutes.

Its bs when others do it and its bs when you do it too. I work in a profession that works with statistics and prediction on a daily basis. I've seen other fall into the same trap as you. Statistics arent the answer to everything. You dont have all the answers.

But congrats on the smell of mahogany.

congratulations dude. You, like literally millions of academics before you are using a numbers based on subjective human measurements and claiming you can determine a definitive answer to a question with no absolutes.

Its bs when others do it and its bs when you do it too. I work in a profession that works with statistics and prediction on a daily basis. I've seen other fall into the same trap as you. Statistics arent the answer to everything. You dont have all the answers.

But congrats on the smell of mahogany.

You make two really interesting arguments:

1) that because you work with statistics and because you have seen some of those numbers fail, that all predictions will fail and that all systems are too complex to be reasonably predicted.
2) that because I claim to understand a very small portion of a very small portion of a fragment of reality that I have claimed to have all the answers.

Neither one of those statements, which seem to predicate your whole opposition to what I have stated, is true.

And only Ron Burgundy is important enough to have an office that has many leather bound books and smells of rich mahogany. My office smells more like Sex Panther than mahogany. 60% of the time, it works every-time.

EDIT: I just noticed that you appear to be a Gator. That explains your animosity towards my data (or my conclusions drawn from the data).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
"The person who attempted to answer the question led off with Frazier was recruited for Malzahn's (sp) offense.... that is as blind as saying UT is destined to go 5-7...."

Kiehl Frazier - Yahoo! Sports

I made that comment about him being recruited to play under Malzauhn and I stand by it. Above is a link to Rivals showing that Gus Malzauhn was his lead recruiter. I'll gladly hang up and allow you to attempt to save some face.

I wasn't trying to say Malzauhn didn't recruit him for his offense.... my point was that assuming Frazier is a good QB because he is now in the offense he was recruited for when he was terrible last year is simply blind faith. How many players end up a bust when they never change schemes?

Straight forward questions generally get straight forward answers... but not on why most are chalking up the Auburn game as a loss...

1) that because you work with statistics and because you have seen some of those numbers fail, that all predictions will fail and that all systems are too complex to be reasonably predicted.
2) that because I claim to understand a very small portion of a very small portion of a fragment of reality that I have claimed to have all the answers.

Neither one of those statements, which seem to predicate your whole opposition to what I have stated, is true.

And only Ron Burgundy is important enough to have an office that has many leather bound books and smells of rich mahogany. My office smells more like Sex Panther than mahogany. 60% of the time, it works every-time.

EDIT: I just noticed that you appear to be a Gator. That explains your animosity towards my data (or my conclusions drawn from the data).

Listen, link me to a legitmate published article regarding this topic or stfu. And in that published article, I want to see how you explain away what should be a significant margin of error considering the sheer number of subjective variables you are using that are difficult to quantify.

Austin pee
So bama
Mizz
KY

And DAJ, try to avoid words with multiple syllables -- the 'turds are struggling to keep up with you.

:)

Listen, link me to a legitmate published article regarding this topic or stfu. And in that published article, I want to see how you explain away what should be a significant margin of error considering the sheer number of subjective variables you are using that are difficult to quantify.

Is this how you work with your peers as you produce data? Do you simply shout them down, tell them to "stfu", or to produce peer reviewed articles when you don't believe their results?

I will be happy to talk to anyone who has concern or interest or even conflicting data about what my very unsophisticated evaluations might show. I am not going to get involved in a very unsophisticated conversation with someone whose best argument is "prove it or stfu".

Last edited:
Is this how you work with your peers as you produce data? Do you simply shout them down, tell them to "stfu", or to produce peer reviewed articles when you don't believe their results?

I will be happy to talk to anyone who has concern or interest or even conflicting data about what my very unsophisticated evaluations might show. I am not going to get involved in a very unsophisticated conversation with someone whose best argument is "prove it or stfu".

Since you are drawing fire predictably from members of the Reptilian Horde, perhaps you can correct me or them, as the case may be. Technically, do you consider the "predictive" power of your model to be a measurement of correlation (i.e. association between two or more variables) or causality? Relying on my now quite fuzzy memories of statistical methodology, you seem to be adhering to an "elegance of simplicity" or "parsimonious" approach, in the theoretical sense of the word. I believe that you said that your single variable model has a mid-60 percent rate of success. That is essentially equivalent to accounting for the variability within your data set that is within one standard deviation of the mean. If you are utilizing correlation analysis, those are, indeed, robust results for a single variable model.

Since you are drawing fire predictably from members of the Reptilian Horde, perhaps you can correct me or them, as the case may be. Technically, do you consider the "predictive" power of your model to be a measurement of correlation (i.e. association between two or more variables) or causality? Relying on my now quite fuzzy memories of statistical methodology, you seem to be adhering to an "elegance of simplicity" or "parsimonious" approach, in the theoretical sense of the word. I believe that you said that your single variable model has a mid-60 percent rate of success. That is essentially equivalent to accounting for the variability within your data set that is within one standard deviation of the mean. If you are utilizing correlation analysis, those are, indeed, robust results for a single variable model.

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is that if you are ever in my neck of the woods, we can discuss this and far more interesting findings over a beer, or sweet tea, or whatever type of drink is your style.

Austin Peay, Western Ky (closer than we think), South Alabama, Auburn, maybe @ Mizzou, and @Kentucky.

6-6 and we'll defeat GA Tech, Duke, or Cuse in Music City Bowl.

I think AU will beat us instead of Vanderbutt. Frankie has other things on his mind right now. I don't want GT in a bowl game under any circumstances.

I wasn't trying to say Malzauhn didn't recruit him for his offense.... my point was that assuming Frazier is a good QB because he is now in the offense he was recruited for when he was terrible last year is simply blind faith. How many players end up a bust when they never change schemes?

Straight forward questions generally get straight forward answers... but not on why most are chalking up the Auburn game as a loss...

Ask Johnathan Crompton what a coaching change can do. Trading Gene Cheesestick for Malzahn is like trading a Krystal for a porterhouse.

VN Store

Back