"Going to do unspeakable things to Oklahoma"

Agreed. I guess it is some BVS or something but I just don't like all the bragging by the Vols fans. I remember the Fulmer years. I remember and was even at school (02-05) when I first notice things were not that right anymore. Sure we went 2-2 against Alabama and Florida but we had some disappointing seasons in 2002 and 2005. I posted this in another thread that sums it up well:

I guess it is pride.

Our series record is

22-28 vs Georgia

21-32 vs Florida

38-60 vs Alabama

When I first became a Tennessee fan, we were within 10 games of tying Alabama and had winning records against Florida and Georgia. We were considered a better program than both Florida and Georgia. The last 20 years has been rough. No SEC Championships, going 0-3 against those teams and most years getting manhandled, being the laughing stock of the nation. It is hard for me to go brag online to people with what we went through.

I would love to see us chip out 5-10 years of beating them like they beat us in blowouts and tying these series back up before I start bragging.

EDIT: In fact, we have 0 hope of even catching Alabama. We would have to go 20 straight years of beating them and win 10 or more National Titles to just get to their level.

If I was an Alabama fan, I would just point out the series record and Titles every time a TN fan talks trash.
When did you first become a fan?

When did you first become a fan?

Technically, my dad was a fan first and I was raised it but I really started watching football in late 1997. 1999 was the first full season that I watched every game. Since my dad (still is) a ticket season holder for the SEC Championship, I was at both the 1997 and 1998 SEC Championship games. My dad went to the 1998 Fiesta Bowl as well. I was barely in Highschool when Tennessee won the Title. (Awesome time because in 1999, the Titans also made their Superbowl run and haven't done jack since then).

I went to Tennessee from 2002-2005 and graduated with a Bachelors of Arts. So actually an alumni as well. The 2002 year was rough. We were way too cocky both going into the 2001 SEC Title game (players admitted that when I talked to them) and in 2002 and it came unraveled. 2005 was QB issues. Our offense never went right under Fulmer without Cutcliffe.

One unpopular opinion but I think Josh Heupel is the best coach we have had at Tennessee. I never thought Tennessee had a coach like Spurrier, Meyer, Saban, etc. who would outcoach someone on the field until we got Heupel. Fulmer was good at program building but was a meh game day coach. John Chavis was a big part of Fulmer's system as well and never got the love he deserved. Chavis, Fulmer, and Cutcliffe were the 3-headed hydra that drove Fulmer's system.

Agreed. I guess it is some BVS or something but I just don't like all the bragging by the Vols fans. I remember the Fulmer years. I remember and was even at school (02-05) when I first notice things were not that right anymore. Sure we went 2-2 against Alabama and Florida but we had some disappointing seasons in 2002 and 2005. I posted this in another thread that sums it up well:

I guess it is pride.

Our series record is

22-28 vs Georgia

21-32 vs Florida

38-60 vs Alabama

When I first became a Tennessee fan, we were within 10 games of tying Alabama and had winning records against Florida and Georgia. We were considered a better program than both Florida and Georgia. The last 20 years has been rough. No SEC Championships, going 0-3 against those teams and most years getting manhandled, being the laughing stock of the nation. It is hard for me to go brag online to people with what we went through.

I would love to see us chip out 5-10 years of beating them like they beat us in blowouts and tying these series back up before I start bragging.

EDIT: In fact, we have 0 hope of even catching Alabama. We would have to go 20 straight years of beating them and win 10 or more National Titles to just get to their level.

If I was an Alabama fan, I would just point out the series record and Titles every time a TN fan talks trash.
"The past is an illusion because it exists only in the mind."
Wgwtfa Johnson

- Gameday in the house (man I bet those guys hate Norman OK)
- First OU SEC league game
- First return of Josh after OU fired him as OC
- First big test for Nico with loud and hostile home crowd
- 2 teams ranked in top 15
- 2 teams with rich football history
- 1st big test for 2024 FootVOLS

Going to be a great week and great game.

Go GBO!

I don’t care if it’s rat poison, I don’t care if I have to eat my words , I don’t care if this ends up on their crowded ad infested forums , I’ve read them and all I want for Christmas is to take over their stadium at the end of the game with Nico leading the band in Rocky Top .

Hang this poster. That was clearly Treason. Affording comfort and support to our enemy.

I know people are always warry but Oklahoma has scored an average of 33 PPG while UT is 63 PPG so basically double and UT has had stiffer competition albeit not much more. Oklahoma has yet to play outside it's own stadium. Not to mention UTs offense has been pretty vanilla so far mostly just running the ball.

Their defense has given up 28 points while ours has given up only 6.

Be warry if you want to but all indications point to UT having no problem with this game (famous last words 😂)

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
I get people being reserved but I hate the excuse of we haven’t been tested yet… while true, neither has OU… defense always travels… I do believe an sec road game at night will be tough but we will be OUs first big test as well and we have been better than them through the first 3 games… I think our depth will be too much for them for 4 Qrts… we are about as healthy as you can ask for right now…

Last edited:
I have a feeling Oklahoma is going to come out with their hair on fire. We better be ready, I hope the team isn’t reading stuff like this.
If they are reading it, they will understand most of us respect the OU program and have no illusions about the game. If I had to say, I would say it’s a close game for 2 or 3 qtrs and UT has enough of an edge to pull away. How many times have we been better than FLA on paper?? You just never know till you line up and play.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
But do we? I mean, our run D is like running into a brick wall, but I have yet to really see us get much of a pass rush this year.
Maybe holding back a little considering the quality of the first three teams. We didn’t need to show our sell out pass rush schemes in their entirety.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Game is going to start out tight. Will be loud. The fan base will be their 12th player. Initially, they'll make our offense look a little disjointed.

But our defense will lock them down tight. So a low-scoring game in the first few possessions.

Then something will pop free on the Vols' offense. We'll score a quick TD. Our D will hold them to a short drive, maybe even a three-and-out. And we'll pop another quick score.

That will take the Oklahoma fan base right out of it. Things will get much quieter. And our offense will consequently start clicking.

After that, it will start to get lopsided.

That's how I think it's gonna play out.

Go Vols!
Pretty good assessment. Kinda sounds like the NC State game. I agree this likely won’t be an early blowout. Tennessee clearly has the ability to overwhelm teams early, but I never like it when everyone assumes we’re going to roll over them. Those games can sometimes turn out very differently. That said I think we are superior in pretty much every phase of the game, but let’s see if they can find holes in our secondary or get enough to time to even try that very often. Probably right that this will be close through a quarter to a quarter and a half, then I think we take over.

This game will be a test. Both for Nico which will be his first game in a hostile environment and the D which will have to defend a QB that can hurt you with his legs. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a close game

Reactions: Volfan1000
I loved this quote from an article that considers Oklahoma to be ranked too high.

Next week's signature game will be a homecoming of sorts for former Oklahoma star quarterback Josh Heupel. His Tennessee Volunteers are going to do unspeakable things to Oklahoma in this game.

Heupel is going to put his foot up Oklahoma's ass in this game.

VN Store

Back