Gold

So, where should my money be? I pretty much only have a total market index fund. I've heard about an ETF that shorts the nasdaq. Would that be a good idea to split between the two as a hedge?

Over 400 points in a day and a half. I'd move in to something safe. I'm not a guru though.

So, where should my money be? I pretty much only have a total market index fund. I've heard about an ETF that shorts the nasdaq. Would that be a good idea to split between the two as a hedge?

Good luck, everything is volatile at the moment. Shorting the market is very risky, I know people that have lost their a$$ doing this. Maybe investing in property, prices seem to be improving there

I dumped mine in an income fund last week. Just going to ride it out this time. At least I won't lose anything, just may not make anything.

Check your history of Gold prices.
Good or improving economy = low gold prices

Bad or shrinking economy = high gold prices.

That may not be the case in this crazy economy but that has been the trend of Gold prices.

I have been dabbling a little with gold for 40 years. I have always invested in or sold gold according to the economy and will continue to.

That may not be the case in this crazy economy but that has been the trend of Gold prices.

I have been dabbling a little with gold for 40 years. I have always invested in or sold gold according to the economy and will continue to.

I think your in for a long ride gramps.

I am looking at real estate now. The stock market scares the shat out of me. There is going to be a lot of people lose what they have made in stocks during the last 4 years, imo.

Farewell Bernanke – Thanks For Inflating The Biggest Bond Bubble The World Has Ever Seen

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke is on the way out the door, but the consequences of the bond bubble that he has helped to create will stay with us for a very, very long time. During Bernanke's tenure, interest rates on U.S. Treasuries have fallen to record lows.

This has enabled the U.S. government to pile up an extraordinary amount of debt. During his tenure we have also seen mortgage rates fall to record lows. All of this has helped to spur economic activity in the short-term, but what happens when interest rates start going back to normal? If the average rate of interest on U.S. government debt rises to just 6 percent, the U.S. government will suddenly be paying out a trillion dollars a year just in interest on the national debt. And remember, there have been times in the past when the average rate of interest on U.S. government debt has been much higher than that.

In addition, when the U.S. government starts having to pay more to borrow money so will everyone else. What will that do to home sales and car sales? And of course we all remember what happened to adjustable rate mortgages when interest rates started to rise just prior to the last recession. We have gotten ourselves into a position where the U.S. economy simply cannot afford for interest rates to go up. We have become addicted to the cheap money made available by a grossly distorted financial system, and we have Ben Bernanke to thank for that.

The Federal Reserve is at the very heart of the economic problems that we are facing in America, and this time is certainly no exception.

But is it a fundamentally sound path? Keeping interest rates pressed to the floor and wildly printing money may be producing some positive results in the short-term, but the crazy bubble that this is creating will burst at some point.

In fact, the director of financial stability for the Bank of England, Andy Haldane, recently admitted that the central bankers have "intentionally blown the biggest government bond bubble in history" and he warned about what might happen once it ends...

In fairness to Bernanke, it really isn't his fault. If he a competent Congress and POTUS to work with, I image he would have went about it in a completely different manner.

I don't need to check the history of gold prices to know that it has nothing to do with the economy. Just as the stock market reaching high levels this year has nothing to do with the economy. There's this thing called unemployment, which I think is a better gauge of just how good or bad the economy is. If people are working, they have more money to spend. It's not that hard to figure out.

What goes up, must come down.
The value of many stocks is all artificially valued. It is time for the Dow to take a tumble.

Anyone playing in the stock market now better know what they are doing , it is time for a major correction.

Two interesting things to note about yesterday's dive:

1- This dive took place on just the hint that the Fed MIGHT stop printing funny money

2- Despite what really seems to be an overinflated stock market, P/Es across a lot of industries remain below historical averages

That may be . but I do not own any Gold now.

And neither am I. We are heavily vested in to lead. I know its value is solid for the next 3.5 years.

Our portfolio is on the safe side. Has been since about April.

And neither am I. We are heavily vested in to lead. I know its value is solid for the next 3.5 years.

Our portfolio is on the safe side. Has been since about April.

Good call on Gold. I cannot speak about lead. I have never played in that market. I may have to look into lead. You seem pretty confident about it.

You haven't been paying attention to the price of ammunition?

I believe that's my fault. I was too vague on the lead reference.

I had a grey moment and didn't think of ammo.
Ammo will probably continue to rise. I saw on Morning Joe this morning Sen. Joe Manchin has made an add blasting the NRA and asking people to call NRA in support of background checks. A new push on background checks will push the nuts to continue stocking up on ammao...

Gun and ammo manufactures love to have a Dem in office, it always drives up sales as the NRA pushes scare tactics.

Gramps is an anti gun guy, he does not pay attention to ammo prices.

I am far from being anti gun. I have owned guns for 50 years. I am also 100% for good sensible background checks. West vA is very pro gun. They showed a poll on Morning Joe this morning that 75% of West Virginians are in favor of background checks.

I am far from being anti gun. I have owned guns for 50 years. I am also 100% for good sensible background checks. West vA is very pro gun. They showed a poll on Morning Joe this morning that 75% of West Virginians are in favor of background checks.

Go to your backlash for voting against bg checks thread Gramps. We have a universal background check. Don't be so foolish.

It's called form 4473.

http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

I wonder if 75% of West Virginians know this? I'll bet they do. I'm willing to bet that poll is 100% BS. Like the rest of your favorite news outlets are.

Last edited:
it always drives up sales as the NRA pushes scare tactics.

Can you really be this naive? You think the NRA scares people into buying guns and ammo? I know of 2 people to thank for scaring people into buying guns and ammo.

1. Barack Obama
2. Bill Clinton

Reactions: 2 people
Go to your backlash for voting against bg checks thread Gramps. We have a universal background check. Don't be so foolish.

It's called form 4473.

http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

I wonder if 75% of West Virginians know this? I'll bet they do. I'm willing to bet that poll is 100% BS. Like the rest of your favorite news outlets are.

If you want to discuss background checks, bring that thread back to life. I am not highjacking this thread on something that far off topic.

I had a grey moment and didn't think of ammo.
Ammo will probably continue to rise. I saw on Morning Joe this morning Sen. Joe Manchin has made an add blasting the NRA and asking people to call NRA in support of background checks. A new push on background checks will push the nuts to continue stocking up on ammao...

Gun and ammo manufactures love to have a Dem in office, it always drives up sales as the NRA pushes scare tactics.

They should it's the law! Hell, I'm in favor of background checks.

They should it's the law! Hell, I'm in favor of background checks.

I'm personally against them, but you are correct. Anyone buying a gun from a dealer, be it at a gun store or at a gun show, must fill out a for 4473. This form is the same everywhere in the US.

I'm personally against them, but you are correct. Anyone buying a gun from a dealer, be it at a gun store or at a gun show, must fill out a for 4473. This form is the same everywhere in the US.

I should have included "as they are required now".

I certainly do not support a requirement for BGCs between private parties.

VN Store

Back