Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

The Copper Cellar in West Knoxville was quieter and better.
The was an Italian Restaurant at the west end of Cumberland Ave before the underpass of the Alcoa Hwy bridge. Cannot remember the name of it.

Reactions: MAD
Jerry’s Restaurant wasn’t burgers but was across from West Town at Montvue. It was kind of like a Howard Johnson’s (NW corner of Kingston Pike/Northshore (east of Weisgarber).

I forget what those little drive-in only places were called. Central Park sounds right. There was one near the eastern entrance to West Hills that’s been a Petro’s for a while now. I think that there was another one in the shopping center at the NE corner of Morrell/Kingston Pike.
Central Park.

Jerry’s Restaurant wasn’t burgers but was across from West Town at Montvue. It was kind of like a Howard Johnson’s (NW corner of Kingston Pike/Northshore (east of Weisgarber).

I forget what those little drive-in only places were called. Central Park sounds right. There was one near the eastern entrance to West Hills that’s been a Petro’s for a while now. I think that there was another one in the shopping center at the NE corner of Morrell/Kingston Pike.
Hey.....I ate at Jerry's many a night after leaving Flanagans.

Reactions: ArdentVol and MAD
Didnt remember that but is was Antonios… Sunday night meal. For years. Thanks. A couple blocks west of last lap. I think opposite side of Cumberland
Antonio's was in the same building complex with Ruby's and Stephanos. Great pizza and a fun place to drink. Got kicked out one time for starting the wave in the restaurant.

Reactions: ArdentVol and MAD
I remember The Library and The Last Lap on the strip. Saw some great bands at The Library and drank some cheap beer at The Last Lap.
Ill never forget, being 21 and going to what was essentially someone's backporch. Screened in decking area. There was a register, you paid. Gave you a plastic cup, and you poured beer from a keg into your cup. That was it. Was down there by Cool Beans and all that. Maybe it was just someone's back porch, lol. Those days were foggy.

I was never there early enough to meet momma.
Wasn't there a honky tonk next door to Jack's and I can remember taking a date or two into it as they did not want to sit in the car and wait. Driving around in that neighborhood seems to be more dangerous than entering Jacks.

No there was a little market next door where you could buy beer to bring it in. Closest bar I remember was on 17th St but I never did much exploring in the neighborhood.

I remember The Library and The Last Lap on the strip. Saw some great bands at The Library and drank some cheap beer at The Last Lap.
I remember during the big Tennessee and Albama pep rally after the game in 78, the Cumberland strip looked like Marti Gras, all people and no cars and then a patty wagon just backed up to the Last Lap and just loaded up all of the people. It was about 2 am and they were trying to clear the streets and brought out the Big Police with locked arms walking down the strip. Me and my friend sat on a porch of a little house on the corner and watched it all. A lot of people were on the roofs of the businesses laughing at the whole scene and then the Police went up on the roof and all the people started running, it is something that I will never forget 😎

I remember during the big Tennessee and Albama pep rally after the game in 78, the Cumberland strip looked like Marti Gras, all people and no cars and then a patty wagon just backed up to the Last Lap and just loaded up all of the people. It was about 2 am and they were trying to clear the streets and brought out the Big Police with locked arms walking down the strip. Me and my friend sat on a porch of a little house on the corner and watched it all. A lot of people were on the roofs of the businesses laughing at the whole scene and then the Police went up on the roof and all the people started running, it is something that I will never forget 😎

It was the Friday night before the Bama game.

I avoided arrest because I was in the Fort Sanders ER getting my foot stitched up. Came out and cops had shut down The Strip. They threatened to arrest us when we were heading to the car which was parked south of Cumberland Avenue.

It was the Friday night before the Bama game.

I avoided arrest because I was in the Fort Sanders ER getting my foot stitched up. Came out and cops had shut down The Strip. They threatened to arrest us when we were heading to the car which was parked south of Cumberland Avenue.
Oh Wow....yes they were grabbing people left and right....who knows @Thunder Good-Oil Oil, me and you could have passed each other on the street and not even have known it 😎

Anyone remember an old restaurant in front of Windsor Square in West Knox? It was a pub fare style restaurant called McDuffey's or something similar.
I remember this place but can't think of the name. It was across the parking lot from the $1 theater. In HS I could take a date to a movie and go there after for a burger all for under $20.

I remember this place but can't think of the name. It was across the parking lot from the $1 theater. In HS I could take a date to a movie and go there after for a burger all for under $20.

Bailey’s Sports Bar in the NE corner. Separately the free standing building was a few different restaurants. I remember the Chinese buffet the most. It was maybe the Black Horse (not the one in Western Plaza) or something as well. I remember some deer antler decoration or light fixture thing hanging from the ceiling.

There are actually 2 restaurant buildings at the Kingston Pike end of Windsor Square and east of North Seven Oaks Drive. The one closer to North Seven Oaks became Knoxville TVA Credit Union 20 years ago. Before that it was owned by Lone Star Steakhouse and Saloon. That’s the building tgat had the deer antler decoration IIRC. The Chinese Buffet was at the south end of the shopping center.

IMG_1252.jpeg

There are actually 2 restaurant buildings at the Kingston Pike end of Windsor Square and east of North Seven Oaks Drive. The one closer to North Seven Oaks became Knoxville TVA Credit Union 20 years ago. Before that it was owned by Lone Star Steakhouse and Saloon. That’s the building tgat had the deer antler decoration IIRC. The Chinese Buffet was at the south end of the shopping center.

View attachment 652213
It was right around the red building (if not that exact location).

Anyone remember the little bar on Lake Ave about where the Graduate is now?Had a little wooden deck where we sat and had many a cold one. I can't remember the name though

Anyone remember the little bar on Lake Ave about where the Graduate is now?Had a little wooden deck where we sat and had many a cold one. I can't remember the name though

The Graduate was the Sheraton and has been there over 50 years. A block west on that corner is probably what you are referring to.

I’m not certain, but the building at 17th and Clinch might have been the Sheraton and then they built a replacement at 1706 Cumberland.

Reactions: 2EastTnVols
The Graduate was the Sheraton and has been there over 50 years. A block west on that corner is probably what you are referring to.

I’m not certain, but the building at 17th and Clinch might have been the Sheraton and then they built a replacement at 1706 Cumberland.
Maybe it was called Rio's? That ring a bell with anyone?

If you're talking about the condo tower at 17th and Clinch, it was a Holiday Inn.

Reactions: ArdentVol

VN Store

Back