Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

I think so. Family member lives there now, and those rooms are WAY too small to have ever been a Sheraton.

But I am an Old Fart™️, so this might not be completely reliable. 👍🏻

I don’t remember it as a Holiday Inn.

Maybe it wasn’t a Sheraton before the Sheraton behind the Krystal was built, but it might have had a bar first. Liquor by the drink became legal in tgat same general time frame.

Reactions: ArdentVol and MAD
Maybe as a little kid I thought that they were the same place since they are similar heights, the entrances are similarly configured, and their footprints are similar annd only 2.5 blocks apart.

Reactions: ArdentVol and MAD
I might have figured it out. The “Sheraton” at 1706 Cumberland was also called the Campus Inn and IIRC the Sheraton Campus Inn. Then the similar building at 17th and Clinch was the University Inn. When I was a little kid I might not have known the difference between “Campus Inn” and “University Inn”.

Was the Ramada Inn/Radisson across from West Town a Sheraton before it was the Ramada?

I think so. Family member lives there now, and those rooms are WAY too small to have ever been a Sheraton.

But I am an Old Fart™️, so this might not be completely reliable. 👍🏻
In the late 70's I think it was the University Inn. The bar had a big screen TV and did good business when the Vols were on TV.
Some Sheratons have small rooms, I've stayed in at least one.

Bailey’s Sports Bar in the NE corner. Separately the free standing building was a few different restaurants. I remember the Chinese buffet the most. It was maybe the Black Horse (not the one in Western Plaza) or something as well. I remember some deer antler decoration or light fixture thing hanging from the ceiling.
I wasn't referring to Bailey's or Lone Star. That was in the shopping center itself. This was a standalone restaurant next to the center. In between it and Kingston pike.

McDuffey's? O'Guffey's? Something like that

Yhis was probably mid to late 1990s

Reactions: Boca Vol
These are just restaurants from the 70's from different states.....

Hey Vic, the link doesn't work. here. Grr. I tried posting it myself and the same thing happened.

Watching it now.

1: Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips - was not in Tennessee
2: Bonanza Steakhouse- $1.50 ribeye meals!
3: Burger Chef
4: The Ground Round
5: Sizzler Steakhouse
6: Ponderosa Steakhouse
7: Howard Johnson's - was here in Knox, but I don't know where other than the old HoJo's on Chapman Highway which is now that skunky Executive Inn. How about at the Howard Johnson's out there in West Hills, demolished and gone for several years now?
8: Red Barn
9: Shakey's Pizza Parlor - which we've talked about multiple times in this thread - was out there near West Town Mall and was recently demolished. It was a place called "The Alley" last.
10: Steak and Ale. It's coming back! Some new corporation is bringing it back in 2024-25! YAY!!

I don't know how many of these were in Knoxville, you old guard Knox people reply on these.

THANKS, VICKY!

Last edited:
Vicky, you are the best!

And Mad- you are the one that started all this! Many thanks to you.

I hope to get to meet both of you - as well as you other Gone but not Forgotten people - sometime soon. Let's all work on this.

Reactions: MAD and Vjcvette
Vicky, you are the best!

And Mad- you are the one that started all this! Many thanks to you.

I hope to get to meet both of you - as well as you other Gone but not Forgotten people - sometime soon. Let's all work on this.
Next time I’m in Knoxville I’ll let y’all know. Sounds fun.

Hey Vic, the link doesn't work. here. Grr. I tried posting it myself and the same thing happened.

Watching it now.

1: Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips - was not in Tennessee
2: Bonanza Steakhouse- $1.50 ribeye meals!
3: Burger Chef
4: The Ground Round
5: Sizzler Steakhouse
6: Ponderosa Steakhouse
7: Howard Johnson's - was here in Knox, but I don't know where other than the old HoJo's on Chapman Highway which is now that skunky Executive Inn. How about at the Howard Johnson's out there in West Hills, demolished and gone for several years now?
8: Red Barn
9: Shakey's Pizza Parlor - which we've talked about multiple times in this thread - was out there near West Town Mall and was recently demolished. It was a place called "The Alley" last.
10: Steak and Ale. It's coming back! Some new corporation is bringing it back in 2024-25! YAY!!

I don't know how many of these were in Knoxville, you old guard Knox people reply on these.

THANKS, VICKY!

There was a Howard Johnson’s at the NW corner of Kingston Pike and Northshore Drive. I don’t know if it was just a restaurant or if the motel behind it (Family Inn late in it’s existence) was a Howard Johnson’s as well.

1969 aerial:
IMG_1393.jpeg

Someone referenced Shakey's Pizza Parlor in Knoxville earlier in this thread. Shakey's was around in the 70's but is long gone.

This isn't the Knoxville restaurant, but it probably looked just like this one:

View attachment 188353

Elsewhere online, I've seen mentions that Shakey's was located on Kingston Pike in the West Hills area, but other people thought it was in north Knoxville on Broadway.

Does anyone know where Shakey's was? Or were there two locations?

I remember going to Shakey’s Pizza when I was a little kid. They showed silent movies and I thought that was so cool. I think they also tossed the pizza dough in the air. It was a long time ago, but that’s all remember.

Does anyone remember Shakey’s Pizza in Knoxville?

I remember going to Shakey’s Pizza when I was a little kid. They showed silent movies and I thought that was so cool. I think they also tossed the pizza dough in the air. It was a long time ago, but that’s all remember.

Does anyone remember Shakey’s Pizza in Knoxville?

That was my choice on my birthdays. There was a window wall to the kitchen and we’d get to watch them make the pizzas. There was also an old-timey, 4 or 5 piece band that would play during the silent movies.

Jess and Calvin were managers at Shakey’s and they moved on to open The Half Shell at Homberg/Mohican.

There was a Howard Johnson’s at the NW corner of Kingston Pike and Northshore Drive. I don’t know if it was just a restaurant or if the motel behind it (Family Inn late in it’s existence) was a Howard Johnson’s as well.

1969 aerial:
View attachment 657158
I lived right down from it and my roommate worked there at one time and it was a restaurant, bar and a motel. The restaurant was in front and then kind of behind the restaurant was the bar.

1969 aerial:
View attachment 657158
Yes, there was a restaurant there. I remember eating there as a kid.

Reactions: Vjcvette

VN Store

Back