Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Back in the day, those fish and chip places were excellent. As good as what you can hope for from today’s better fine dining options. But that’s true with so many Fast Food joints if you compare the quality from 50 years ago to today.
I was at UT Sports Camp and got my first Whaler from Burger King on the Strip, it was amazing and the Whoppers were out of this world!

Back in the day, those fish and chip places were excellent. As good as what you can hope for from today’s better fine dining options. But that’s true with so many Fast Food joints if you compare the quality from 50 years ago to today.
They focused on fish and chips and did not try to sell every other kind of food. You lose quality when you cook fish, shrimp and chicken in the same oil

The Hungry Fisherman’s driveway is on Baum Drive. The building is on Baum Lake. Just south of and across the railroad tracks from the Jewish Community Center on Deane Hill Drive.

I think that the property was a nursery/flower business and farm before Baum Drive was cut in and the area was developed for light industrial.
When we came to Knoxville we almost always ate there. Didn't it have a pond with a dock ?

Reactions: Vjcvette and MAD
Reactions: Ted and Vjcvette
Check out this article from Knoxville News:
Raven Records & Rarities Closing

Closing soon: From the Strip to Happy Holler, this Knoxville record shop has history

people wont know what they are missing when all the record stores close

In the 70s, there was a BBQ joint in west Knoxville that was open late. It had picnic tables outside and a gravel parking lot(?). It looked suspiciously like Emma’s Southern Kitchen on Sutherland Ave. Anyone have a clear memory of this?

Reactions: Ted

It appears that the planned apartments in the old “Hotel Knoxville” are getting close to begin renovations​

It is still unclear how similar this will be to the original plans announced back in 2022, or if these will be advertised primarily for UT students. Details on signage have emerged here: https://archive.knoxplanning.org/zoning/design/agendas/2024/august/8-C-24-DT.pdf We may see the ball rolling soon on this massive redevelopment

IMG_0170.jpeg

I worked for Bill Captain at Sam n Andy's. Sam was gone by then, but Mr. Andy was still around.
Speaking of Sam & Andy's, the one in Fountain City at 2613 Adair Dr. closed this year. It opened in 1998. There is a new place called "Sonny's Southern Pub" in this building now.

Screenshot 2024-09-02 082443.jpg

Sam & Andy's last location is out West, off Ebenezer Road on Bexhill before Ebenezer intersects Northshore. What an odd place to put one!

Last edited:
In the 70s, there was a BBQ joint in west Knoxville that was open late. It had picnic tables outside and a gravel parking lot(?). It looked suspiciously like Emma’s Southern Kitchen on Sutherland Ave. Anyone have a clear memory of this?
Where was it in west Knoxville? Narrow it down a bit for us, @Tin Man.

Also, since you mentioned it, Emma's is a terrific little restaurant, for those who haven't been. This time of year, there's nothing better than sitting outside there and getting fish tacos, chicken fried chicken, fish and chips, a black'n'blue sky burger.. ahh! Here's Emma's menu.

f26008637e9cbc594d96ab9bdc1b26e3_-united-states-tennessee-knox-county-knoxville-emmas-southern...jpgHere are fried mushrooms, regular fish and chips (3 piece), and cinnamon apples. Emma's serves LOTS of fries with their meals. :) I've had fish and chips there that came with what looked like three potato's worth of fries!

Emma's is what Tupelo Honey always only dreamed of being. For a little bit of recent history, Emma's location, 3701 Sutherland, hosted Sutherland Market (mid-00's), Strawberry Fields Market, and The Coop Cafe, in succession. In 2016, the forerunner of Emma's, Stock Burgers, opened. It became The Burgers in 2019, and then Emma's in the early 20's.

Last edited:
Where was it in west Knoxville? Narrow it down a bit for us, @Tin Man.

Also, since you mentioned it, Emma's is a terrific little restaurant, for those who haven't been. This time of year, there's nothing better than sitting outside there and getting fish tacos, chicken fried chicken, fish and chips, a black'n'blue sky burger.. ahh! Here's Emma's menu.

View attachment 673304Here are fried mushrooms, regular fish and chips (3 piece), and cinnamon apples. Emma's serves LOTS of fries with their meals. :) I've had fish and chips there that came with what looked like three potato's worth of fries!

Emma's is what Tupelo Honey always only dreamed of being. For a little bit of recent history, Emma's location, 3701 Sutherland, hosted Sutherland Market (mid-00's), Strawberry Fields Market, and The Coop Cafe, in succession. In 2016, the forerunner of Emma's, Stock Burgers, opened. It became The Burgers in 2019, and then Emma's in the early 20's.
The current location of Emma’s on Sutherland.

Reactions: Ted
Ah, that's what you meant. Now, if someone here can come up with the name of the BBQ place.
I was thinking he meant the original Buddy’s on Kingston Pike in Bearden, I seem to remember they originally had picnic tables outside.

I was thinking he meant the original Buddy’s on Kingston Pike in Bearden, I seem to remember they originally had picnic tables outside.
Was Buddy's run by a black family? Did they offer a bbq chicken sandwich which was a piece of bbq chicken (bones and all) between two pieces of store-bought white bread? Was the parking lot gravel?

VN Store

Back