Good horror?

Talk to Me is solid. I like Hereditary better but that might just be a style thing. I think it’s creepier and I really liked Ari Aster’s follow up, Midsommar as well.

I really appreciate all types. I grew up on slashers like Friday, Chainsaw, and more. The 80s were certainly dominated by slashers. I am partial to paranormal but I like monster flicks (give me a good werewolf movie any day), psychological (I assume this is where The Lighthouse is headed and I’m watching it currently) or whatever. I even like the bad ones, especially if they’re not meant to be bad.

What do you think of Evil Dead Rise if you’ve watched it? I love it myself. The story is a little weak but it’s so entertaining that I don’t care. I’m generally not watching horror for complicated storylines.

I wasn’t crazy about Exorcist Believer but it was better than I expected it to be. What do you think?

The woman is black is my favorite horror movie, it's not bloody but it sure scares the crap out of me. They did a great job of placing jump scares and its set in England, English actors just make a horror movie better

Reactions: hUTch2002
The woman is black is my favorite horror movie, it's not bloody but it sure scares the crap out of me. They did a great job of placing jump scares and its set in England, English actors just make a horror movie better
That was a good one. I remember it surprised me. I’ve struggled to get through the second one. I’ve seen some of it but then I get tired and fall asleep. Worth a watch?

Ooh. I like disturbing. I’ll check that out.
It's a movie set in Spain. You said you didn't mind subtitles? There is not one word of English spoken in it's entire 1 hour and 30 minutes .... and it's a very chatty movie. LOL.

Also, it's not a horror movie. It's just a very tense drama involving a couple in their 30's who have just had their first baby, and for some reason, they want to celebrate it by purchasing a really tacky table from a pushy, weirdo furniture salesman.

It's a movie set in Spain. You said you didn't mind subtitles? There is not one word of English spoken in it's entire 1 hour and 30 minutes .... and it's a very chatty movie. LOL.

Also, it's not a horror movie. It's just a very tense drama involving a couple in their 30's who have just had their first baby, and for some reason, they want to celebrate it by purchasing a really tacky table from a pushy, weirdo furniture salesman.
I don’t mind subtitles as long as the movie doesn’t suck. That sounds sucky.

I’m watching Death Whisperer now. It’s subtitled. So far it’s decent. It’s very interesting to see what other cultures consider scary vs us.

Watched When Evil Lurks last night. Good atmospheric movie if you’re ok with subtitles.
Just finished it. Disturbing. But it was frustrating watching Pedro continually break every one of the "7 rules" throughout the film. Really good horror movie though. A few scenes made my stomach churn.

Finished The First Omen. I was excited after the first few minutes and purposefully waited until vacation to watch it like I did with Evil Dead Rise last year. It’s no EDR. It’s not horrible but I was hoping for more. It’s slow and predictable but the acting, setting and imagery are solid. Worth a watch if it crosses your path but I wouldn’t go out of your way to watch it.

A pretty disturbing horror movie to watch is "Martyrs".

I've watched it I guess 3 times in the last 15 yrs? Each time I watch, I get different opinions of the ending. It's a tough watch honestly, but the deepness of the implications of the movie are wild when you start thinking about the situation.

I've warned you if you have a queasy stomach

I've watched it I guess 3 times in the last 15 yrs? Each time I watch, I get different opinions of the ending. It's a tough watch honestly, but the deepness of the implications of the movie are wild when you start thinking about the situation.

I was curious. I don't think I could handle it. Thanks for the warning.

"Two young women who were both victims of abuse as children embark on a bloody quest for revenge, only to find themselves plunged into a living hell of depravity."

"In 2021, Rolling Stone also ranked it number 36 in their list of the greatest horror films made in the 21st century. Martyrs has also been referred to as one of the most disturbing films ever made, due to its subject matter."

Reactions: volinsd
Yeah it's pretty dark from start to beginning.
I dug the storytelling as far as how a movie is made, this one is just set up different for the viewer. It's sad and scary and disgusting in some parts though, bot gonna lie about that.

The long lasting thoughts for me about the movie is the implications you can come to on your own from the plot.

By that I mean to say, don't watch this on shrooms. You might not come back lol

Reactions: Behr

It’s good. Have seen it countless times. I think something is wrong with me, though. I have never watched a movie that bothered others that ended up bothering me.

Reactions: volinsd
This is not a new movie. It's a UK horror movie from 2005 ... but since I had never heard of it until stumbling across it on Amazon Prime the other night, I thought I would post it here. I thought it was pretty good. It's strange that I had never heard of it.

The Descent (2005)

It has mostly good reviews too ....

IMDB : 7.2/10 (250K votes)

Rotten Tomatoes
: 87% critics .... 76% users

Google Users
: 87%

Ever see The VVitch? I thought it was pretty good. Also check out High Tension if you haven't seen it.
The VVitch is peak slow burn atmospheric horror for me. I can’t imagine a period piece being done as a horror any better. As for High Tension
Screw the twist at the end. Ruined it for me.

I really enjoyed High Tension as well. Weirdly enough, High Tension led me to watching the movie Martyr's (spoke of above) right after. Funny universe we live in.

I’m a huge horror movie fan but struggle to find good horror to watch. Anyone have suggestions?

Also, what are good horror movies made recently? I’ll even say anything in the last 10 years or so. Hereditary is awesome so that’s probably at the top of my list of recent horror movies. What else?
Excellent idea for a thread. I've gathered a lot of great recommendations.

VN Store

Back