Good horror?

For just plain horror without trying to be funny:

The Thing
The Void
Color Out of Space
The Autopsy of Jane Doe

After that some off the top of my head that I have enjoyed:
Dog Soldiers, Evil Dead 1/2/3(Army of Darkness), Return of the Living Dead, Dead Alive (Braindead), Street Trash, Train to Busan, Re-Animator, The Fly.

The Thing
The Void
Color Out of Space
The Autopsy of Jane Doe

Dog Soldiers, Evil Dead 1/2/3(Army of Darkness), Return of the Living Dead, Dead Alive (Braindead), Street Trash, Train to Busan, Re-Animator, The Fly.
Color Out of Space is a new one to me. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

Dead Alive (Braindead)
It's a really fun horror/comedy (zombie flick) with a creepy, low-budget charm to it, that some directors (like Peter Jackson) know how to pull off.

Having said that, it's an acquired taste.

It's obnoxious. I came away from it wishing they had focused at least a little bit on the girl .... and developed the relationship a little. Instead, it gets carried away with becoming a redundant gore-fest at the end. I still really like it. I think it could have been better.

Also : It's been ripped off a lot over the years by less talented filmmakers.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
It's a really fun horror/comedy (zombie flick) with a creepy, low-budget charm to it, that some directors (like Peter Jackson) know how to pull off.

Having said that, it's an acquired taste.

It's obnoxious. I came away from it wishing they had focused at least a little bit on the girl .... and developed the relationship a little. Instead, it gets carried away with becoming a redundant gore-fest at the end. I still really like it. I think it could have been better.

Also : It's been ripped off a lot over the years by less talented filmmakers.
Lawnmower zombie kill scene and the ninja priest sealed the deal for me on this movie when I first saw it.

Reactions: BowlBrother85

The Thing
The Void
Color Out of Space
The Autopsy of Jane Doe

I've always thought The Void was a little underappreciated. It's quite Lovecraft in tone and best I can recall there's not a bit of CGI in the whole thing. The cast isn't stellar but if you wondered what would happen if The Thing and Event Horizon had a baby and that appeals to you I'd look into The Void.

The Babadook is worth checking out if you haven't seen it. I thought it was very good...

Watching the single mom's slow, downward spiral while trying to be there for her child was gut-wrenching.

Also, if you want something with dark humor and a cheesy 80's horror vibe with comically over the top gore, check out Terrifyer 2. I didnt expect much from it, as I didnt care for the first one, but part 2 was far better than it had a right to be and the main female protagonist....damn!

Last edited:
First saw this "turkey" living in Miami in 1980. Yep, it's really dumb.

Attachments

• Killer Tomatoes_movie.jpg
    Killer Tomatoes_movie.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: FLVOL_79
Saw Evil Dead Rise mentioned and I found a very niche movie that compared well called The Cleansing Hour. Starts off very corny but by the end I was deep into it.

Other suggestions I don't think I saw:

Aniara (subtitles, existential crisis)
The Dark and the Wicked (slow burn)
As Above So Below (Found footage)
Fresh (just watch)
Late Night with the Devil (Shudder original)
Totally Killer (comedy/80s tribute)
No One Will Save You (unique)
Incantation (Taiwan, subtitles)
Anything For Jackson (indie)
Pyewacket (indie)
Bone Tomahawk (Western)
The Girl with All the Gifts (zombie)

Horror is my thing. I've watched the best and worst there is to offer. Plenty more recs if anyone likes these.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back