Good news for next season!

If we would have had CJH offense over the last 10 years we have have beat Florida at least 5 or 6 times. As bad as Florida has been at times and beat us we were even worse. We are better prepared to beat Florida now and moving forward than we have been possibly right before Meyer and the 2015-16 seasons.

I think a lot of it comes with them being (typically) our first SEC game, and most years, our first big game of the year.

I stand by what I say that if we played Vandy first, and Florida towards the end of the season, we'd do MUCH better.

I've seen this posted a few times before and the first thought in my head is, well it's not Florida's 12th game of the year either so it's basically admitting they don't think coach can have the guys ready. Time of year is a pretty bad excuse and only reasonable if half the starters are freshmen. In this age, where the elite teams play a substantial amount of them, it really doesn't have legs.

Florida is going down in defeat next year in Neyland Stadium. Their reign over us is OVER! GBO!!!!! We’re going to bang the drum all day and party all night!!!!!!

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
I've seen this posted a few times before and the first thought in my head is, well it's not Florida's 12th game of the year either so it's basically admitting they don't think coach can have the guys ready. Time of year is a pretty bad excuse and only reasonable if half the starters are freshmen. In this age, where the elite teams play a substantial amount of them, it really doesn't have legs.
It makes no sense either. Florida is usually the deeper team, and depth issues are more pronounced later in the year.

Reactions: Jaws
I don’t buy curses, jinxes, and teams having us “psyched out”. College teams are completely new teams every 4 years - there is no institutional memory to sustain a curse.

If you want to end a drought against a consistently good opponent, you don’t need rabbits feet or chicken bones - just a consistently good team of your own. We have not been consistently good for 15 years - hence our dismal record against Florida.
7B2F195C-B7E8-41B4-B7FE-D4C69573189A.gif

Reactions: Orange_Crush
UF has had exactly 1 good QB since 2008. Trask in 2019. How many times have we beaten them since then?
Good point. But their qb room right now is maybe the worst it has been. Also, I don’t think the talent gap is as big as people are making it. We have an offensive identity now and will have our guys in year 2 of this system. Napier is playing catch-up.

I think a lot of it comes with them being (typically) our first SEC game, and most years, our first big game of the year.

I stand by what I say that if we played Vandy first, and Florida towards the end of the season, we'd do MUCH better.

Don't necessarily disagree with you but its usually the same for FL and it doesn't bother them at all. Why is that?

Billy Napier will no doubt join the list of first year gator coaches to beat us in year one weirdly enough Spurrier didn’t in his first season. Anthony Richardson will probaly have a heisman like game against us you all know it’s coming. Seriously why do you guys do this yourselves every offseason ? Florida is so far in Tennessee’s heads it’s not even funny it’s just passed down year to year to the next class and next class. They have owned us for years and live rent free in our heads. 25-7 against UT since 1990 they should pay property tax on Neyland stadium at this point.

UF doesn’t have a qb on their roster that should beat us this year or next year. They better do some developing or get a plug and play transfer. Otherwise, we’re winning the next 3-4 years easily. Heup will coach circles around Napier.

I think you may be overlooking Anthony Richardson. AR had one really bad game, against Ga, but find me a QB who didn’t vs that UGA defense aside from Bryce Young in the SECCG. Outside of the UGA game, AR was stellar every time he played, special play after special play. And he did this while being gimpy all year from an aggravated HS knee injury and a pulled hamstring early in the season, so Mullen decided a healthy Emory should play over a banged-up Richardson.

Florida has a ton of question marks and TN can definitely beat them. But to say “UF doesn’t have a QB on their roster” is more wishful thinking than factual.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
Florida and Tennessee just played very late in the year in 2020 and it was much of the same.
We actually played a decent game that year, but I think that was mostly due to y'all being overrated as your subsequent losing streak revealed, I just don't think timing has much to do with the series. I wasn't a fan of moving the Georgia game to November either. Our schedule is traditionally front end loaded. Sometimes it sucks, but sometimes you beat good teams before they know who they are, or before injuries get you. It's a double edged sword, we just haven't been very good the last decade plus to take advantage of the good aspects of it. As for our game this year, I think it's legitimately more of a pick'em than it has been in awhile, and I'm glad it's in September, not November.

Reactions: Jaws
As for our game this year, I think it's legitimately more of a pick'em than it has been in awhile, and I'm glad it's in September, not November.

Agree, definitely a pick-em as we stand right now.

We’ll have a good feel early this year as Florida will be twice-tested before coming into Neyland this year. UF opens with what will be a top 15 Utah team followed by Kentucky.

@Pitt should test Tennessee as well.

When it comes to UF.............I will believe it when I see it!

:confused:

Billy Napier will no doubt join the list of first year gator coaches to beat us in year one weirdly enough Spurrier didn’t in his first season. Anthony Richardson will probaly have a heisman like game against us you all know it’s coming. Seriously why do you guys do this yourselves every offseason ? Florida is so far in Tennessee’s heads it’s not even funny it’s just passed down year to year to the next class and next class. They have owned us for years and live rent free in our heads. 25-7 against UT since 1990 they should pay property tax on Neyland stadium at this point.
rain-gene-kelly.gif

Why would it being the first SEC game only have a negative effect on us and not them though?

Like I said even at our strongest we barley beat them. We are over matched this year as well. We can pretend we aren’t but where do we really have the advantage? QB? Ok. WR? Ok. Where else? OL? TE? RB? Nope. On defense? Not even close. Can we theoretically beat UF this year? Sure.

See I don’t judge the TN HC on the Florida game anymore. I don’t consider UF a must win for any TN HC. Why? Because it’s dumb. Will Heupel beat UF? I don’t think he will. Even if he is here 5-7 years, I don’t think he will ever beat UF. It’s easy to think with what we are bringing back that we can win. The games at home and our offense should be lethal again.

Yes we are doomed for third at best in the East. South Carolina, Kentucky and Missouri seem to be able to beat UF. But we just can’t. You brought up a small stretch of games where we won. Look at those wins. 2003 was a convincing win. Other than that we have barely beaten them the few times we have actually won. Meanwhile, they have pretty much dominated us.

I hope we beat UF. Do I think we will? No. I expect another blowout loss. Will I think less of Heupel with another blowout loss to UF? Absolutely not. I am much more concerned with South Carolina and Kentucky this year than UF.
I’ve always said you could take any local high school football team, dress their players up in Florida’s uniforms, march them into Neyland on a Saturday in September, and they would still find a way to beat us.

VN Store

Back