Guess Who, Guess Where?

Call it what you will, it illuminates an important point.

No it doesn't. When a coach has been at a place for 15 years schools know their not leaving. How many schools have gon after Coach K? The only glaring example I can think of is Roy K going back to his NC. It just doesn't happen.

Nice shot though.

1. How many head coaches endow a scholarship for a player and don't have loyalty to that program?

2. If he were to leave, he would be seen as many as Nick Sabans kindred spirit. Oozing loyalty then bolting.

3. Do you think CBP would rather coach a legendary (obviously not Iowa) program? or create his own legendary program?

I wouldn't worry about Iowa Vol fans. Alford left for NM saying that it would be a relief to go to a school that takes basketball seriously. Believe it or not Iowa basketball has to compete for fans and time with wrestling.

Pearl leaving UT to go to Iowa would be a huge step down. Pearl is a rising star at a large University with a huge alumni, fan base and local media. Plus from a financial standpoint I'm sure UT could spend more than Iowa.

I would only really be concerned about the UK job. Just because of supposed prestige.

UT will probably need to up his contract just to keep him happy. Pearl could become a god in Tennessee and have streets named after him. Why in the hell he would want to leave that is beyond me.

Does anyone think Pearl will be able to take advantage of these rumours for recruiting?
Rumors of this type would have a negative impact if any. Coaches would try and sell a recruit that CBP wouldn't be here to coach them if they came to UT

Rumors of this type would have a negative impact if any. Coaches would try and sell a recruit that CBP wouldn't be here to coach them if they came to UT

Unless of course Pearl lets it build up and announces he is going to build a dynasty at UT.

We're going to keep having this conversation until Pearl makes a categorical, Saban-esque statement that he's not interested in going anywhere else. Until then, people are going to have the reasonable assumption that career-wise, he should move up to a "real" basketball school. Tennessee is not widely regarded as a destination job just yet.

But Pearl could turn it into one. You'd think that the opportunity to stay and build a legacy like that would be really attractive.

Every coach on The Hill is well paid. He makes 1.2 mil a year, that is hardly bargain basement.

How is UT a stepping stone program? You certainly are not talking about basketball are you?

Yes, I am talking about basketball. We finally have landed a big time basketball coach and we need to pay him like one. $1.2 million per year is bargain basement for Coach Pearl. Someone will come around and offer him much more than that and the University needs to step up before that is done. If someone is worth $100k per year and is only getting paid $50k, that is bargain basement.

If we don't step up and pay, then we will be a stepping stone school. We haven't had a basketball coach before that other programs have been dying to have.

I just want to point out that Pearl has a very strong vested interest in all of these rumors running around. The more buzz generated, the higher his pay raise will be. He can't make any definitive statements about his longevity at this point, because he loses his negotiating leverage in putting together his new deal at UT. This isn't new to the coaching business and will last a couple weeks, but will be finished with Pearl in a new UT contract (worth jillions) in plenty of time to hit the recruiting trail with the right message.

So far MH's crowning achievement has been Pearl.
He dosen't want to also be remembered as the man who let him get away!

Iowa
bored1.gif

I agree with that. He is worth $2 million a year easily. If we think we can continue to pay bargain basement prices, we will continue to be a stepping stone program.

This was your original quote. We have never been a stepping stone program in basketball. The only person I can think of that went on to better things, as far as a better job/program, not the good retirement packages we give our former coaches, is Kerry Keating at UCLA as an assistant.

These are all approximate, per the link.
Calhoun at UConn makes $1.5/yr...Donovan makes 1.4/yr...Coach K makes 1.3/yr...Self at Kansas makes 1.7/yr...Calipari makes 1.4/yr...Izzo makes 1.7/yr...Williams at UNC makes 1.4/yr...Matta makes 1.7/yr...Boeheim at Syracuse makes 1 mil/yr...Barnes makes 1.8/yr...Howland at UCLA makes 1.2/yr. Success on the court translates to big money for coaches - USATODAY.com

Based on the fact that Bruce has made this program his, and the incredible increase in interest to the program, Bruce, yes, should get a raise. But to say he is underpaid is wrong. We still havn't made it past the Sweet 16. The only argument, based on performance, that could conclude that Pearl should get a raise, is any comparison to Ricky Boy Barnes at Texas. That guy is paid.

1.2 million dollars in Knoxville is like 5 million a year in California. How is that "bargain basement?"

VN Store

Back