Happy open carry day Tennessee

How can you be in violation?

Unless you are in a federal building or place that strictly prohibits guns the law is pretty clear you can carry.

The law has some pretty stupid exclusions, if you've been convicted of a DUI in the past 10 years you can't carry. Still can't carry inside a govt building.

Probably a good thing. I've known some people that have gotten a DUI after probably a few hundred actual DUI's.

I always go back to the idea that if the crime is so bad a person deserves to have their rights taken away it's bad enough they deserve to be in prison.

Reactions: Volgolfer1618
I always go back to the idea that if the crime is so bad a person deserves to have their rights taken away it's bad enough they deserve to be in prison.
So if a person can't carry a gun they need to be in prison? Sounds like you're a digital kind of guy.

The law has some pretty stupid exclusions, if you've been convicted of a DUI in the past 10 years you can't carry. Still can't carry inside a govt building.

Several misdemeanors exclude you from being able to carry under the new law, I don’t remember all of the loop holes in the law but it was a very interesting segment. He talked for about 45 minutes and is the chairman of some handgun rights group in Tennessee. He was a lawyer as well who new his stuff when it came to Tennessee gun rights laws.

So if a person can't carry a gun they need to be in prison? Sounds like you're a digital kind of guy.

No, I'm saying that once a sentence is completed whether that be jail, probation, fines, community service all rights should be restored. Continuing to restrict rights is going beyond the prescribed punishment.

No, I'm saying that once a sentence is completed whether that be jail, probation, fines, community service all rights should be restored. Continuing to restrict rights is going beyond the prescribed punishment.
Criminals will definitely be trustworthy after getting out of jail usually

Reactions: NEO and lukeneyland
And you missed my point. Some people I've known were/are drunks and just because they didn't get caught doesn't mean they didn't commit a crime. I'm sure there are stats out there somewhere that can show that for every one a a person is convicted of DUI they have actually driven impaired dozens if not hundreds of times previously. I'd prefer that if someone is convicted of DUI that they don't carry a weapon into the local establishment that serves alcohol just because you think they should be allowed, I don't.

And you missed my point. Some people I've known were/are drunks and just because they didn't get caught doesn't mean they didn't commit a crime. I'm sure there are stats out there somewhere that can show that for every one a a person is convicted of DUI they have actually driven impaired dozens if not hundreds of times previously. I'd prefer that if someone is convicted of DUI that they don't carry a weapon into the local establishment that serves alcohol just because you think they should be allowed, I don't.

That's the difference between me and you. I believe that people should only be punished for the crimes they're convicted of and once they complete their sentence they're free to exercise their full rights like everyone else.

That's the difference between me and you. I believe that people should only be punished for the crimes they're convicted of and once they complete their sentence they're free to exercise their full rights like everyone else.
We'll agree to disagree. The law is in the books and apparently the lawmakers agreed with my point of view so I win!

If a person is a threat to other people they need to be locked up. If they are fit to be free they should be free.
You just said if they serve their time. So should John Hinckley be allowed to have a gun since he’s served his time? How about the drug dealers who shot at people but don’t kill them and served their 5-7 years?

You just said if they serve their time. So should John Hinckley be allowed to have a gun since he’s served his time? How about the drug dealers who shot at people but don’t kill them and served their 5-7 years?

Yes. If the crime they committed is so heinous they need to be punished for life then they need to be locked up for life. Once they complete their sentence all rights should be restored.

Yes. If the crime they committed is so heinous they need to be punished for life then they need to be locked up for life. Once they complete their sentence all rights should be restored.
Again you aren’t answering the question. So if a drug dealer gets 5 years for shooting at a car in a drug deal gone bad but doesn’t even hit anyone. You are saying he should get his gun back after 5 years of jail or should be locked up for life?

Again you aren’t answering the question. So if a drug dealer gets 5 years for shooting at a car in a drug deal gone bad but doesn’t even hit anyone. You are saying he should get his gun back after 5 years of jail or should be locked up for life?

If he was sentenced to 5 years once he completed his sentence he should be able to have a gun.

So we don't keep doing the "what if game", if Ted Bundy was sentenced to 5 years once he completed his sentence he should be able to own/carry a gun.

I think I've been clear in this.

If he was sentenced to 5 years once he completed his sentence he should be able to have a gun.

So we don't keep doing the "what if game", if Ted Bundy was sentenced to 5 years once he completed his sentence he should be able to own/carry a gun.

I think I've been clear in this.
It’s insane to let violent felons have firearms to commit the same crimes over and over. That’s part of our issue now and it’s not even legal for them to have them

It’s insane to let violent felons have firearms to commit the same crimes over and over. That’s part of our issue now and it’s not even legal for them to have them

What's insane is we let violent felons out to commit crimes over and over again.

Why do you have trouble understanding this concept?

Reactions: BisonVol
What's insane is we let violent felons out to commit crimes over and over again.

Why do you have trouble understanding this concept?
I’m not but either we lock up people for thing you disagree with like agg assault over drug dealing for life or else we think that violent felons should be able to carry guns and both of those are wrong

I’m not but either we lock up people for thing you disagree with like agg assault over drug dealing for life or else we think that violent felons should be able to carry guns and both of those are wrong

Isn't the criminal justice system supposed to be about rehabilitation? A person released from prison isn't supposed to be a threat so why shouldn't they have their rights restored?

VN Store

Back