Happy open carry day Tennessee

Take for example, someone who is released after serving a ten year sentence for a first degree assault charge. If that person is so dangerous and so violent that they can't be given their full rights back after they've served their sentence, why are they released in the first place if the goal is to keep them away from society?
I agree

You just said if they serve their time. So should John Hinckley be allowed to have a gun since he’s served his time? How about the drug dealers who shot at people but don’t kill them and served their 5-7 years?
How is this debatable. Of course. WTF is wrong with you? Maybe punishing people for life, and not restoring their rights, is why they offend again.

Again you aren’t answering the question. So if a drug dealer gets 5 years for shooting at a car in a drug deal gone bad but doesn’t even hit anyone. You are saying he should get his gun back after 5 years of jail or should be locked up for life?
I’m all for violent criminals loosing their gun rights permanently. Emphasis on the violent part though.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I’m all for violent criminals losing their gun rights permanently. Emphasis on the violent part though.

Parameters would need to be set determining what meets that threshold. Too much potential for abuse.

Isn't the criminal justice system supposed to be about rehabilitation? A person released from prison isn't supposed to be a threat so why shouldn't they have their rights restored?

Yep. If they've done their time, they should get their rights back. If they're too dangerous to have their full rights restored, then they should stay locked up for life. The justice system when it comes to sentencing is and has been a mess for a long time.

I’m all for violent criminals loosing their gun rights permanently. Emphasis on the violent part though.
Does that actually work? Isn't it more like taking a drivers license away from a drunk driver?

.....and it's 'losing'.

Does that actually work? Isn't it more like taking a drivers license away from a drunk driver?

.....and it's 'losing'.
It’s worse than the drivers license analogy
You’re not granted the right to a DL in the constitution. If they want to restrict a DL forever as punishment then I’d be ok with that as it’s not granted as a right to begin with. If they let you out of prison then your other rights should be restored as well. Own a gun….vote ….all of them

Edit: that should be directed at him and not you.

Reactions: hog88

.....and it's 'losing'.
In a sense it probably doesn’t. But it might aid in the prosecution of dangerous people who seem to always find their way out.

It’s worse than the drivers license analogy
You’re not granted the right to a DL in the constitution. If they want to restrict a DL forever as punishment then I’d be ok with that as it’s not granted as a right to begin with. If they let you out of prison then your other rights should be restored as well. Own a gun….vote ….all of them

Edit: that should be directed at him and not you.
You are picking fly specks out of pepper. My point is that thugs gonna thug. And I'm sorry, violent criminals, 'debt to society' paid or not, have no business with guns. You won't change my mind on that, and it appears I won't change yours.

You are picking fly specks out of pepper. My point is that thugs gonna thug. And I'm sorry, violent criminals, 'debt to society' paid or not, have no business with guns. You won't change my mind on that, and it appears I won't change yours.
It’s not like the law is going to stop a criminal from getting a gun if they want one.

Reactions: hog88

VN Store

Back