Happy to eat crow

Maybe I just wear orange tinted glasses too often.

I just don't see how someone who calls themselves a fan can be so negative (this year) about the program.

I understood the hate later in Dooley's tenure. I just don't see how people can decide to be negative with Butch at the helm.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a true fan debate...

And some pretty crappy throws (strips were not bad either)

Almost every game has crappy throws. Defensive players try to strip the ball on almost every run. But it only ends up in 7 turnovers once a generation.

I am NOT saying we should have lost or anything, because the way we came out in the second half and seized control of the game was impressive, and exactly what we haven't seen from UT in years. But that game could have played out a lot differently all day.

I dont know why you would eat crow. 7 turnovers would never had been predicted, even by everyone saying we were going to blow them out. If you hide the turnovers on the stat sheet it has nail biter written all over it imo

"I'm fade. While the rest of you must talk about the game in one of the mass threads, I believe that my opinion warrants a new thread. Also, I'm not completely wrong because there were more turnovers than anyone could have predicted. "

It would stand to reason, judging from the response, that Fade was right.

I must not have been watching the same game as the rest of you. I don't recall WKU committing a single turnover. I did see UT's Defense cause 7 turnovers though.

I didn't once see one of their running backs just drop the ball while running it. Never once saw their QB look to a UT defender and throw it to him.

People need to stop calling them breaks for us.......our D caused each of those.

Then you didn't watch the game.

The actual score was 21-20 UT, because WKU gave us 31 points on turnovers. (yep, that's a lot of free points).

IMHO, it was a moral defeat.

I thought this game would be closer and without all the first half turnovers by WKU, it might be. But those are part of the game so I can't use that excuse. I still think Worley is awful and does not have an SEC arm or accuracy. I can see why he wasn't highly recruited. And we're still getting throttled by Oregon. But really happy with the win.

Agreed on all points

Some of these negative comments are amazing, and I honestly don't think some of these people would be happy with ANY win.

Now, I agree that Worley is our biggest worry. Mostly inaccurate, but better in the 2nd half. Let's just hope he improves with experience, and quickly.

But to put down our defense because of yards given up???? First off, they were on the field for nearly the ENTIRE first half! Second, they CAUSED most of those turnovers, except for the first pick-6. Of course, we could just go back to playing defense like last year, and probably LOSE this game. Third, WKU is NOT a bad football team. They even have some SEC talent. So, they SHOULD move the ball some, and even score some.

Take away ALL the turnovers, and we still win, 21-20.

Now, I too believe we will get our tails handed to us by Oregon. But I also believe we will win at least 1, or even 2 of the next stretch of games we are supposed to lose. Florida sure gave us good reason today to fear their offense.

Its just amazing to me how people can be so negative, about a team we ALL knew wasn't going to be great, before the season even started. We have won 2 games by bigger margins than we expected to! Many of us thought that we might lose today...We won by 32.

Some people can't find anything positive in anything, I guess.

Reactions: 1 person
Why is everyone complaining about us getting 31 points off seven turnovers? Isn't that what you WANT your defense to? Get turnovers, weather created by them or just a bad decision by the QB, and use them to our advantage? I'm sure no one would complain if next week the Oregon QB throws 5 INTs and our defense returns 4 of them, who cares how we won. We won, that's all that matters, shoot last year we probably would've gotten beat by WKU.

Our defense so far how shown that they know what they're doing unlike last year.

Reactions: 3 people
The actual score was 21-20 UT, because WKU gave us 31 points on turnovers. (yep, that's a lot of free points).

IMHO, it was a moral defeat.

I hope this is sarcasm. Good teams create turnovers to create points. That's what we did. Actual score...bullish!t. Those points were earned by our team, one way or another. Because an over valued wku came in here and got what they earned: an a$$ whippin.

I thought this game would be closer and without all the first half turnovers by WKU, it might be. But those are part of the game so I can't use that excuse. I still think Worley is awful and does not have an SEC arm or accuracy. I can see why he wasn't highly recruited. And we're still getting throttled by Oregon. But really happy with the win.

An astute quote from a perceptive man. I too thought that this game would be a very difficult trial. No team can overcome -6 TOS, but I am happy to get a win bc a win is a win and they have been hard to get lately. Butch is the man; he knows what hes doing. And, of course, Mark May picking u to lose will always help some.

So IOW's... you really aren't eating any crow but rather still claiming to be right?

And don't pull that crap anymore please... being pessimistic and negative then after the game declaring that you are "happy to eat crow". Have the courage to show some hope once in awhile.

And you know what? It is OK to be wrong sometimes... and to admit it. Actually its kind of "liberating"....

I must not have been watching the same game as the rest of you. I don't recall WKU committing a single turnover. I did see UT's Defense cause 7 turnovers though.

I didn't once see one of their running backs just drop the ball while running it. Never once saw their QB look to a UT defender and throw it to him.

People need to stop calling them breaks for us.......our D caused each of those.
Probably 6 of 7. The WKY receiver that tip the ball in the air didn't appear to be spooked by the corner. He just screwed up but I would need to go back and look at the tape. I get your point though ... defenses cause bad throws, ripping the football out and causing players to turn before catching the ball. This D is night and day better than last year. I don't even want to think about last years defense. GO VOLS

Probably 6 of 7. The WKY receiver that tip the ball in the air didn't appear to be spooked by the corner. He just screwed up but I would need to go back and look at the tape. I get your point though ... defenses cause bad throws, ripping the football out and causing players to turn before catching the ball. This D is night and day better than last year. I don't even want to think about last years defense. GO VOLS
Both pick 6 plays were absolute gifts.

I dont know why you would eat crow. 7 turnovers would never had been predicted, even by everyone saying we were going to blow them out. If you hide the turnovers on the stat sheet it has nail biter written all over it imo

Why do you hide something that is part of the game and happened? By that logic, every game is a 'nail biter'.

Last edited:
Look what no one here seems to get is our defense just OWNED Bobby P! The VOL D outscored the WKU offense! Our freshman corners have great ball skills and will only get better! The offense got untracked in the 2nd half and scored on every possession except the Worley pick. He throws that away Palardy makes the FG and they score everytime that got the ball until it was no longer a contest. The world thought it was a 13 point spread and the Vols won by 32! For all you idiots who thought WKU gave the Vols a gift on all the TO's it was more like the the D smacked them up side the head and took their lunch money!
Next week is next week and you can't take the play against WKU and ma!ke any assumptions about the Ducks but if you can't look at this team and see the improvement over what has passed for a football program on The Hill for the last half decade you don't know Buick!

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back