Hardnosed political discussion . . .

It is staggering how much the average Canadian gives to their government...for FREE healthcare.

Yep . . . Despite the utopian paradise that some people believe exists in the Canadian healthcare system, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Yep . . . Despite the utopian paradise that some people believe exists in the Canadian healthcare system, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

That is something that always drives me crazy when trying to discuss healthcare.

Why doesn't the government provide healthcare for any one.

Then as soon as you respond that taxpayers pay for the healthcare they just look at you like you are stupid.

Yeah, its not free....and besides you want to depend on government?

The scariest thing in life, to me, is that people depend on their government for their every day needs and well being. Scary!

(OrangeEmpire @ May 7 said:
That is something that always drives me crazy when trying to discuss healthcare.

Why doesn't the government provide healthcare for any one.

Then as soon as you respond that taxpayers pay for the healthcare they just look at you like you are stupid.

Yeah, its not free....and besides you want to depend on government?

The scariest thing in life, to me, is that people depend on their government for their every day needs and well being. Scary!

there is no such thing as free healthcare, because our government is owned lobbyist.

maybe someone can help me out on this one. do canadians pay state taxes. since they are not really a state, i was wondering. also alot of state taxes more than make up for what the feds don't get. i know 5 in particular, ohio, new jersey, new york, california, and florida. the state taxes in those states are rediculous.

(smokedog#3 @ May 7 said:
there is no such thing as free healthcare, because our government is owned lobbyist.

You're missing the point. There's no such thing as free healthcare EVER. You are either going to pay for it in the course of free enterprise or in the form of an increased tax burden.

maybe someone can help me out on this one. do canadians pay state taxes. since they are not really a state, i was wondering. also alot of state taxes more than make up for what the feds don't get. i know 5 in particular, ohio, new jersey, new york, california, and florida. the state taxes in those states are rediculous.

Where do you start with something like this?

do they have state taxes, that is all i want to know. maybe i should have said canadian healthcare is alot cheaper than american healthcare. is that a more accurate statement. it couldn't be anymore expensive.

ok for what i've seen on the net this morning canadians pay on average 1% more taxes than americans do. there sales tax is cheaper, property taxes,ETC. they do tax for healthcare, though it is not that much. i would have to say i pay more. 70% of there taxes go to pay for government services. i still didn't get if they pay a province tax or something like that.

I love them, especially property taxes. My parents live in Lexington, Kentucky and have roughly and acre lot and they pay $600 a year in property taxes.

I have a 60 by 120 lot and I pay over $2400. Virtually the same house except we have a basement.

If I am not mistaken Ohio is the third highest taxed state in the U.S. We are only behind California and New York.

you are correct. i got the samething when i moved to arizona. i went in to have my taxes done and told the lady i was from ohio. she started laughing and pulled out this huge book. ohio has went down the tubes in the last 5 years. $2400 is actually cheap, my mon and dad live in a 1200SF condo and almost pay that. now that is crazy.

Oh I did not mean to come off as complaining, we almost bought a house in Blacklick and Westerville, Ohio. The taxes were too much to handle, either were over $5,000.

(OrangeEmpire @ May 7 said:
Oh I did not mean to come off as complaining, we almost bought a house in Blacklick and Westerville, Ohio. The taxes were too much to handle, either were over $5,000.

you don't have to tell me. my wifes aunt and uncle lived in westerville, before going to phoenix. i still have friends that live there to. my one buddy lives in hilliard and can't believe the taxes. he moved from minnesota.

my one buddy lives in hilliard and can't believe the taxes. he moved from minnesota

We have good friends that live in Hilliard.

Was it a culture shock for them?

When I first moved from Kentucky I truly hated Ohio.

Once you learn their quirks its not that bad.......well.............. :cry:

I miss Kentucky! LOL :biggrin2: :air_kiss:

Gotta love that "FREE" healthcare:

Ted Byfield's commentary on Canadian Taxes in the May 11, 1998 issue of the Alberta Report:

Canada is now the world's top nation — when it comes to paying taxes, that is
By Ted Byfield

That Canada has the highest tax burden of all the G-7 countries, the other six being the United States, Britain, Japan, Germany, France and Italy. Notice the presence of Italy. I've always thought the Italian tax burden to be horrendous. So no doubt it is, but ours is worse.

Our total tax burden is 28% higher than the G-7 average and 48% higher -- that's half as much again -- as the U.S. rate.

Income tax in Canada is 56% higher than the G-7 average, and our corporate taxes 9% higher.

Our property taxes are higher than any of the 29 countries in the OECD (the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development).

A family of four in the U.S. can earn up to $24,675 without paying any tax on it. If they have a home mortgage, their non-taxable total can rise to $30,000 since mortgage interest is deductible. In Canada, income becomes taxable at about half of that -- $12,836 (just under $250 a week). Mortgage interest is not deductible.

In 1993, when the Liberals again took office, tax revenues totalled $116.5 billion, or approximately $8,951 per working Canadian. This year the government will collect $160 billion or $11,335 per working Canadian, an increase of 26% in five years. In this five-year period income tax revenues alone are up 37%, chiefly because inflation lifts salaries, putting everybody in higher tax brackets. The government used to compensate by indexing tax brackets for inflation; when they stopped, billions upon billions more poured into Ottawa.

The overall result, according to StatCan figures, is that any improved family earnings accrue largely to the government. Between 1989 and 1995, the real after-tax income of the average Canadian family fell by $3,461 -- from $41,084 to $37,623.

Of course, Ottawa would be quick to remind us that these taxes cover medical care which is privately funded in the U.S. But in B.C., replies Mr. White, people contribute $7.2 billion in premiums to B.C. medicare, plus billions more through their federal taxes. The Fraser Institute estimates the average B.C. family pays $3,500 in taxes for medical services. In neighbouring Washington State a family of four would pay Cdn$6,570 for similar coverage -- but it would also be paying about $12,000 less in taxes.

Michael Campbell writes in a Vancouver Sun column that a B.C. couple with no children will pay $28,461 in taxes on an income of $57,949. In other words, the government gets one dollar of every two, plus employment insurance and CPP [Canada Pension Plan] contributions. Since 1990, he says, average after-tax income has fallen by 8% in B.C.

ok for what i've seen on the net this morning canadians pay on average 1% more taxes than americans do.

That's just flat out wrong by a long way.

my friends used to live in northwest ohio, so it wasn't to much of a shock to him. he wishes he had stayed in minnesota though. his wife got homesick so he relocated back to ohio. the other day he was trying to get me to move to austin texas. must be a pretty nice city he isn't the only one to try and convince me of this. it seems like all my friends that live in ohio are trying to get out.

I just read that link. Nowhere in there does it say Candadian taxes are the same as US individual tax rates or that the sales taxes are lower. :dunno:

provinces sales tax runs around 7% except in new brunswick where it is 10%. about 36.8% of canada's GDP goes to taxes, to 35.7% of the usa's going for taxes. i feel this is true i have friends that live in toronto and have worked in the usa and this is pretty close to what they have stated. people that make under $20,000 do not pay taxes on healthcare either.

Again . . . that doesn't mention anything about individual tax rates. The highest marginal rate in Canada is over 50% which means that if you make $100,000 in Canada, the governement hammers you. Also, I believe there is a national sales tax in addition to the provincial sales tax.

Also . . . the United States' tax to GDP ratio is a lot lower than stated in that article. I believe it is around 25%.

i don't think so on the national sales tax, because i don't remember getting hit that hard buying stuff in canada. for the $100000 rule i'm not sure, but i know my buddy makes three times that and he said it was comparable with the usa. i haven't read either though. only thing i've read is that they state that they are similiar. what are you basing you conclusions off of. i'm going by what i have read and fellow canadians have told me. i know they don't pay taxes on real estate profits, my friend has told me this. he told me he don't pay for healthcare, but he has to get taxed for it. i know they don't have school tax or anything like that because he was mad as hell in perrysburg ohio about that. thats about all i can tell you , is what i've read and what i've heard. :dunno:

There is what amounts to a 7% sales tax (they call it a GST) on most goods and services in Canada.

I'm not really arguing Canadian tax policy other than to say that they tax the daylights out of their citizens in return for free healthcare.

VN Store

Back