Harper’s future

It goes way beyond that. To me UT was lucky to make the NCAA tournament this year. And, they did not have that great of a year. Recruiting wise we are in trouble and this once elite program is average a best right now and the direction to right the ship has been made by an AD that is determined to see past Knoxville. I will let him work on this instead of my "dumb" post.
So, if the next coach doesn't work out, should DW be fired?

Reactions: MSUDuo
That's what I was telling my brother yesterday. Kellie made a million dollars to do nothing. That's not including hubby's salary. That family struck gold to make a lot of money with no results.

Think about all the hundreds of coaches making big bucks (relative to the average person's salary) who never sniffed a single Tournament appearance. Not only did they accomplish "nothing" for their schools, they were operating in negative results for their entire careers. The schools would have better off letting the players coach themselves.

You may not be aware, but there are quite a few young coaching couples in WBB, including two others in the SEC. Do you object to those or just Jon Harper? Several prospective coaches mentioned here are wife/husband duos? Should we cross all them off the list?

Also, is it just husbands who work for their wives that bothers you? Did you know UT's men's team has a father/son player/coach duo? Also several fathers who have their son as assistant coach, such as Bruce Pearl at Auburn. vic Shaeffer, big on the wish list here, has long had his daughter Blair as assistant. That ok?

As a "preacher" it may warm you up to the idea a bit to know the purpose of these couple coaching together is to keep young families with small children together. Does that sound lke a problem?

I'm genuinely curious about this, though I think I know the roots of the objection.

Nepotism is nepotism. Period. And your comparison to the Gaineys is stupid, though. First of all, it’s a player/coach scenario and just doesn’t belong in your post. His dad is an assistant, not the HC, and unlike people like Bruce Pearl’s son, Butch Jones’ son and John Calipari’s son —all of whom were scholarship players under their fathers and weren’t good — Jordan Gainey is actually GOOD enough to be on the team and is a solid contributor. The rest of what you mentioned are also wrong.

Also, need I remind you, that in Tennessee, what the Harpers and UT did was actually illegal. It’s why Ralph and Karen Weekly were co-head coaches. I know UT found a workaround to break the law and yadda yadda blah blah, but that didn’t fool anyone. It was bad optics to have that dynamic when it was literally against the law.

You may not be aware, but there are quite a few young coaching couples in WBB, including two others in the SEC. Do you object to those or just Jon Harper? Several prospective coaches mentioned here are wife/husband duos? Should we cross all them off the list?

Also, is it just husbands who work for their wives that bothers you? Did you know UT's men's team has a father/son player/coach duo? Also several fathers who have their son as assistant coach, such as Bruce Pearl at Auburn. vic Shaeffer, big on the wish list here, has long had his daughter Blair as assistant. That ok?

As a "preacher" it may warm you up to the idea a bit to know the purpose of these couple coaching together is to keep young families with small children together. Does that sound lke a problem?

I'm genuinely curious about this, though I think I know the roots of the objection.

I am opposed to nepotism in any form in any organization. It violates every principle of effective msnagement. Ask Ferentz, father and son , about how it works.

I am opposed to nepotism in any form in any organization. It violates every principle of effective msnagement. Ask Ferentz, father and son , about how it works.

People don’t like it brought up around here, but Tyler Summitt benefitted heavily from nepotism and we saw how that went down.

As you said, “in any form, in any organization.”

Reactions: MSUDuo and SoilVol
A change may have been necessary, but you're imagining many 20,000+ games. I was there at one of them vs. Texas in the late 80's, and Wendy's was giving away free tickets with purchase of a drink to try to help UT set an attendance record.
We were getting 20,000 just a few years ago.

We were getting 20,000 just a few years ago.
Sadly, I think it was probably since Catchings was a senior that we had 20,000 or more. I could be misremembering.

I have high hopes that the right hire and the upcoming championships -- fingers crossed! -- will get the Lady Vols back to where they belong attendance-wise.

As someone who regularly attends now I can tell you that sometimes even our smaller crowds can get loud and excited for a big game. It's still fun to go to games, for sure. Now, that's not to say that there aren't plenty of times I get frustrated by the crowd's indifference, but even THOSE crowds still show a great deal of knowledge about the game, which is something I've always appreciated about Tennessee fans.

We need to get back to winning titles so we can get back to making that huge arena the best place to watch a women's college basketball game again. It's good now, but we want GREAT again! 🧡

People don’t like it brought up around here, but Tyler Summitt benefitted heavily from nepotism and we saw how that went down.

As you said, “in any form, in any organization.”
He is also drawing a huge income from his mother's Tennessee State employee retirement even though he never worked for the state or paid into the plan. Doesn't seem fair to the state workers that did contribute and work for thirty years does it?

So, if the next coach doesn't work out, should DW be fired?
It's the AD's job to hire and keep the right people. DW has an incredible track record of doing that everywhere he's been. I don't think he will fail the LVs.

But should the hire be a bad one with worse results after 4-5 years he would be questioned. However, he will probably be given a pass and another opportunity. Same with Men's basketball when he inevitably replaces Rick Barnes. Football is probably the only sport that an AD only gets 1 shot at if it utterly fails. The only other exception is if multiple hires fail or they can't keep coaches from leaving.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
He is also drawing a huge income from his mother's Tennessee State employee retirement even though he never worked for the state or paid into the plan. Doesn't seem fair to the state workers that did contribute and work for thirty years does it?
The unfair part is that Pat didn’t get to live and benefit from it. Sure Tyler would make that trade.

Just realized the UT volleyball coach has hubby as asst and they just got extended. Guess DW is ok with it after all.

I think there is a difference in quality there. Watt is a heavily decorated volleyball player with coaching experience outside of his time on Eve's staff. I couldn't tell you anything that Jon Harper has done.

PRIOR TO TENNESSEE
"Watt came to Tennessee after spending one season alongside Rackham Watt at North Carolina as a volunteer assistant. He assisted with practice planning, on-court coaching, coordinating video sessions, scouting opponents, and on-campus recruiting.

Watt also served as associate club director for the NC Elite Volleyball Club, where he was the 17U head coach and lead setter coach.

He transitioned to Chapel Hill after spending four years (2013-16) as the first assistant coach at Lehigh University, helping lead the Mountain Hawks to a 74-49 record. Lehigh posted back-to-back 20-win campaigns for just the second time in program history and also racked up a school-record 14 Patriot League wins in 2014.

Hailing from Scotland, Watt spent four years as the head coach of the 19U Junior & National Teams at the City of Edinburgh Volleyball Club—for which he played from 2002-10—preparing athletes for competing at the national level.

During his playing career, Watt was a setter for the Scotland National and Junior National Teams from 2004-13 and played in the Great Britain National Team program from 2007-12. He was named FINALWHISTLEMEDIA Player of the Year in 2010 with City of Edinburgh Volleyball Club.

As the No. 1 setter for the Scottish National Team, Watt was selected to the 24-man roster for the Great Britain Olympic Team for the 2012 London Olympics.

Prior to moving to the United States, Watt played professionally in France for three years with Amiens Metropole VBC (2010-11) and AS Cannes Volleyball Club (2011-13).

Watt graduated from Napier University in Edinburgh, Scotland, in 2009 with a bachelor's degree in Sport and Exercise Science with Coaching. He also earned his HND in Sports Coaching with Development of Sport from Edinburgh Telford College in 2008."

The unfair part is that Pat didn’t get to live and benefit from it. Sure Tyler would make that trade.
That is true but he gets more than $173,000 per year for life from the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System. Pretty sure his mom never paid in that much in order for him to receive that much for life and never paid into the system. Pat was the highest paid employee in the State at that time and I certainly agree that Tyler should have gotten a one time payout of his mother's retirement but $173,000 for the rest of his life seems a bit much. Just my opinion and certainly don't expect everyone to agree with it.

Sadly, I think it was probably since Catchings was a senior that we had 20,000 or more. I could be misremembering.

I have high hopes that the right hire and the upcoming championships -- fingers crossed! -- will get the Lady Vols back to where they belong attendance-wise.

As someone who regularly attends now I can tell you that sometimes even our smaller crowds can get loud and excited for a big game. It's still fun to go to games, for sure. Now, that's not to say that there aren't plenty of times I get frustrated by the crowd's indifference, but even THOSE crowds still show a great deal of knowledge about the game, which is something I've always appreciated about Tennessee fans.

We need to get back to winning titles so we can get back to making that huge arena the best place to watch a women's college basketball game again. It's good now, but we want GREAT again! 🧡

Attendance at Pat Summit's last game as head coach was 14,414. I was there and it saddened me that TBA wasn't packed to the rafters.

He is getting the benefit his mother MORE than earned and who simply made a wise, totally legal decision to set her account up in the absolute best way possible for her only child. Please don't begrudge him the money that our beloved Pat worked hard to provide him. 🥲

That is true but he gets more than $173,000 per year for life from the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System. Pretty sure his mom never paid in that much in order for him to receive that much for life and never paid into the system. Pat was the highest paid employee in the State at that time and I certainly agree that Tyler should have gotten a one time payout of his mother's retirement but $173,000 for the rest of his life seems a bit much. Just my opinion and certainly don't expect everyone to agree with it.

What's the reason behind him getting that? I've never heard of a state retirement passing to a child (spouse yes) kid, no.

What's the reason behind him getting that? I've never heard of a state retirement passing to a child (spouse yes) kid, no.

It’s a non-spouse beneficiary. Pretty common for people to list a child or other relative if they are unmarried or widowed.

Generally not paid out at the same rate as a full spouse or primary beneficiary.

VN Store

Back