Harper’s future

It’s a non-spouse beneficiary. Pretty common for people to list a child or other relative if they are unmarried or widowed.

Generally not paid out at the same rate as a full spouse or primary beneficiary.

It can and does happen and is totally legal. May be one of the reasons among others that the retirement system is no longer available to new state employees.

Interesting, and makes sense (especially the no longer available part). I'm a state employee in Texas and if I were to die, my pre-paid contributions go to my spouse as beneficiary, but there are no continuing monthly benefits or payments.

He is also drawing a huge income from his mother's Tennessee State employee retirement even though he never worked for the state or paid into the plan. Doesn't seem fair to the state workers that did contribute and work for thirty years does it?
That surprises me that adult children could collect a deceased parent’s retirement benefits.

It’s a non-spouse beneficiary. Pretty common for people to list a child or other relative if they are unmarried or widowed.

Generally not paid out at the same rate as a full spouse or primary beneficiary.
Wonder if this is not really a pension but a plan structured more like a 401k that Pat paid into??
Interesting.

All I know is, IF IT WERE AN EFFING GAZILLION DOLLARS A YEAR BEING PAID TO TYLER, that's still not enough to repay all his mother did for UT, for the state of Tennessee, for women in general and for the Unites States government who, amidst the crisis of 9-11, once sought her guidance when it was desperate for wise counsel. And of course Pat came through for her country!

i bet she will take a year off and regroup. she will have no problem coaching at a power 5 school. she is a good coach. just wasn't a fit for tn in this moment.
She was fired twice from both P5 schools she coached for. I doubt she’ll get a third shot right away, and will probably need to recover back in the mid majors first.

That's what I was telling my brother yesterday. Kellie made a million dollars to do nothing. That's not including hubby's salary. That family struck gold to make a lot of money with no results.
Good work if you can find it.

i bet she will take a year off and regroup. she will have no problem coaching at a power 5 school. she is a good coach. just wasn't a fit for tn in this moment.
Coach probably yes, power 5 is lofty considering she was let go twice.

You (and others) just can't let it go. The AD is making a change, Harper is gone, but haters can't stop saying that she "did nothing" and got paid for "no results." And you seconded those thoughts.

Continue with the grave dancing and brick throwing, but save a little energy for the next firing.

Some people just can't ever be satisfied even after getting exactly what they wished for.

You (and others) just can't let it go. The AD is making a change, Harper is gone, but haters can't stop saying that she "did nothing" and got paid for "no results." And you seconded those thoughts.
I’ve asked for years “what does Jon do”

I’m at peace with what what has transpired the last few days. Unfortunately, message boards are down time of talking sports, decisions and discussions of various topics. A downtime topic to pass the time upsets you, you might need to refrain from commenting to keep it active.

I’ve asked for years “what does Jon do”

I’m at peace with what what has transpired the last few days. Unfortunately, message boards are down time of talking sports, decisions and discussions of various topics. A downtime topic to pass the time upsets you, you might need to refrain from commenting to keep it active.

A diaper has its uses, too, but some adults outgrow them.

Sadly, I think it was probably since Catchings was a senior that we had 20,000 or more. I could be misremembering.

I have high hopes that the right hire and the upcoming championships -- fingers crossed! -- will get the Lady Vols back to where they belong attendance-wise.

As someone who regularly attends now I can tell you that sometimes even our smaller crowds can get loud and excited for a big game. It's still fun to go to games, for sure. Now, that's not to say that there aren't plenty of times I get frustrated by the crowd's indifference, but even THOSE crowds still show a great deal of knowledge about the game, which is something I've always appreciated about Tennessee fans.

We need to get back to winning titles so we can get back to making that huge arena the best place to watch a women's college basketball game again. It's good now, but we want GREAT again! 🧡
Right. It's been since the early 2000s that crowds were 20,000. You could occassionally pack it for big games but it's really been since the Meeks era that huge crowds were routine. But in perspective, continuing to average 8-9K and bringing in 15K for big games is pretty impressive given all that's gone on.

Wonder if this is not really a pension but a plan structured more like a 401k that Pat paid into??
Interesting.
It'a pension. My brother worked at UT years ago for 10 or so years and had a small fund that he became elig for several yrs ago. He was able to designate for anyone he wanted and actually has it sent to is ex-wife's bank account bc she needs it more than him and they are still close.

Continue with the grave dancing and brick throwing, but save a little energy for the next firing.

Some people just can't ever be satisfied even after getting exactly what they wished for.
It's Jon taking the heavy slings and arrows and you're right, they just can't quit. In several threads. Apparently Jon deserves all this, even after being fired, because they didn't know what he did. I've said for ages if that is bothering you that much, contact the AD for outline of his job duties. Also I never knew exactly what Joy did, though I've seen both do regular asst coach stuff in games and practice. Tough crowd.

That is true but he gets more than $173,000 per year for life from the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System. Pretty sure his mom never paid in that much in order for him to receive that much for life and never paid into the system. Pat was the highest paid employee in the State at that time and I certainly agree that Tyler should have gotten a one time payout of his mother's retirement but $173,000 for the rest of his life seems a bit much. Just my opinion and certainly don't expect everyone to agree with it.
Wonder what the actuaries say about the calculations?
It sounds like a sweetheart deal, but who knows.

Since we're in "down time" and evidently have no topics to discuss other than how our now-former coach "did nothing" and got paid millions for "no results," then perhaps the resident braniacs can explain how they come to such conclusions.

Perhaps we could discuss something new or little-discussed...that maybe it was better for Kellie to be fired now than after a possible (but not certain) further decline next year. It's a foregone conclusion (John Adams and others have already started their narratives) that Kellie will be blamed for "leaving the cupboard bare" for the next coach, so she will receive blame for that just as Holly got blamed for "bringing down the Lady Vol culture." Some of those criticisms have merit, but acting as though either coach "did nothing" and got "no results" is not something that anyone who actually cared for the program, the coaches, or the players should ever think, much less publicly say.

It's Jon taking the heavy slings and arrows and you're right, they just can't quit. In several threads. Apparently Jon deserves all this, even after being fired, because they didn't know what he did. I've said for ages if that is bothering you that much, contact the AD for outline of his job duties. Also I never knew exactly what Joy did, though I've seen both do regular asst coach stuff in games and practice. Tough crowd.
True, but posts above demonstrate that there are still some frequent complainers singling out Kellie by name and discounting her entire time as LV HC as being worthless. That's as bad as those who disparaged everything Holly did as coach and overlook any of her successes. And then imply that these women who have given so much to the program in various ways were just taking money and not trying to do their best.

They even drag it into the "Appreciation" thread. And they'll likely be regurgitating it throughout the future.

Not a good look.

Reactions: madtownvol
Since we're in "down time" and evidently have no topics to discuss other than how our now-former coach "did nothing" and got paid millions for "no results," then perhaps the resident braniacs can explain how they come to such conclusions.

Perhaps we could discuss something new or little-discussed...that maybe it was better for Kellie to be fired now than after a possible (but not certain) further decline next year. It's a foregone conclusion (John Adams and others have already started their narratives) that Kellie will be blamed for "leaving the cupboard bare" for the next coach, so she will receive blame for that just as Holly got blamed for "bringing down the Lady Vol culture." Some of those criticisms have merit, but acting as though either coach "did nothing" and got "no results" is not something that anyone who actually cared for the program, the coaches, or the players should ever think, much less publicly say.
All she had to do was be better than Holly. It could be said, Holly passed a better program to Kellie in regards to roster and incoming players.

Reactions: Tnphil and aretha57

VN Store

Back