Heupel vs Pruitt vs Jones vs Dooley - Three Years In

You might be right, I have messed up typing before, let me check...

The math maths.

We must fire him.
26-12 is unacceptable for our program.

Get your mattress ready buddy, were going down town!
No I was just saying the correct record. I’m 100% behind JH and all in on what he has done and heading!

Yep...Heupel has the best second best first 3 years since Bill Battle. Only Fulmer had a better start.

Fulmer inherited a healthy program hitting its stride that was among the best in the conference. Heupel inherited a dumpster fire of the highest magnitude, a losing program with NCAA sanctions on top of a flood of transfers, many of whom were the best players on the last Pruitt team. It's not even comparable.

At the end of the day it’s about 2 things:

Wins vs losses and the Jimmie’s and Joes on the field.

He’s doing a great job with both so far!
"Jimmie's and Joes on the field" Kirby has proven this to be true.

While growing and getting better, IMO he's not a very good coach. After the Tennessee game he admitted:

Jenny: "Alright coach 28 straight wins...what is the winning formula for this program? You keep doing it."

Kirby: "Sign good players. Sign good kids. And get them to believe that, if they don't care who gets the credit, that they'll be very successful"

I would argue that nearly 300 traffic violations including reckless driving that killed two people probably does not fit in the "good kids" category. A super-soft schedule and a weak SEC East doesn't hurt those leg-humpers, either. I guess what I'm saying is, Kirby is no Saban - but he keeps winning in spite of his shortcoming because of the talent.

One other note about the Georgia program - for being such a "feeder system for the NFL", notice how much their players underperform on Sundays.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly

While growing and getting better, IMO he's not a very good coach. After the Tennessee game he admitted:

Jenny: "Alright coach 28 straight wins...what is the winning formula for this program? You keep doing it."

Kirby: "Sign good players. Sign good kids. And get them to believe that, if they don't care who gets the credit, that they'll be very successful"

I would argue that nearly 300 traffic violations including reckless driving that killed two people probably does not fit in the "good kids" category. A super-soft schedule and a weak SEC East doesn't hurt those leg-humpers, either. I guess what I'm saying is, Kirby is no Saban - but he keeps winning in spite of his shortcoming because of the talent.

One other note about the Georgia program - for being such a "feeder system for the NFL", notice how much their players underperform on Sundays.
I think Kirby did learn the two most important lessons Saban can teach:
1. you will not be a contender if you cannot stack top 5 recruiting classes
2. once you have stacked top 5 classes for 3 or more cycles, don't get cute and think you need a tricked-out system to win. Just let you talent play big boy football and beat the ever living hell out of everyone in the second half.

Kirby is absolutely correct in that statement. You cannot teach talent into a kid but you can teach a talented kid. He and Saban are part of the few coaches that have been successful with a defensive mind set in modern day football. However they have been smart enough to realize that it takes a really good offense to win now because of the rules etc...in favor of offensive play.

John Wooden use to say, "I can't teach someone to be 7' tall but I can teach a 7' foot tall person to play basketball". Same discussion!

I think Kirby did learn the two most important lessons Saban can teach:
1. you will not be a contender if you cannot stack top 5 recruiting classes
2. once you have stacked top 5 classes for 3 or more cycles, don't get cute and think you need a tricked-out system to win. Just let you talent play big boy football and beat the ever living hell out of everyone in the second half.
Agree 100%.

Need more proof...look what CBJ was able to do in '15 and '16 with young #6 and #4 ranked recruiting classes. He was simply unable to develop the talent in later years and let the locker room get out of control.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Fulmer inherited a healthy program hitting its stride that was among the best in the conference. Heupel inherited a dumpster fire of the highest magnitude, a losing program with NCAA sanctions on top of a flood of transfers, many of whom were the best players on the last Pruitt team. It's not even comparable.
Absolutely. But I do give Fulmer a good bit of the credit for building the team he took over - the guy was a great recruiter as a position coach, coordinator and head coach.

“In what was considered a “down year” for Coach Heupel, here is where he ranks vs every Tennessee team since 2010 with a bowl game left to go.

8 wins (3rd)
67% win percentage (3rd)
31.5 PPG (5th)
21.8 Opponent PPG (2nd)

Still one of the top coaches in CFB.”.. Luke Jackson

We need to stop comparing them. One is not like the others in the only way that matters.

Heupel 26-7
Pruitt was 15-19
Jones was 20-27
Dooley 15-21
Heupel 26-12 (14-10 in SEC) 68% win overall
Pruitt 5-19 (2-16 in SEC) wins vacated for cheating 21%win overall
Jones 34-27 (14-24 in SEC) 56%
Dooley 15-21 (4-19 in SEC) 41%
Kiffin 7-6 (4-4 in SEC) 53%
Fulmer 152-52 (91-35 in SEC) 75%
Majors 116-62 (57-40 in SEC) 65%

Heupel has Vols trending right

Heupel 26-12 (14-10 in SEC) 68% win overall
Pruitt 5-19 (2-16 in SEC) wins vacated for cheating 21%win overall
Jones 34-27 (14-24 in SEC) 56%
Dooley 15-21 (4-19 in SEC) 41%
Kiffin 7-6 (4-4 in SEC) 53%
Fulmer 152-52 (91-35 in SEC) 75%
Majors 116-62 (57-40 in SEC) 65%

Heupel has Vols trending right
Yes, he does. We are at the point where we need to stop saying it's rebuilding and getting there. Not saying fire him if it's 8 wins, but the goal has to be to compete for the east and that means 10+.

Reactions: Evet Vols
Yes, he does. We are at the point where we need to stop saying it's rebuilding and getting there. Not saying fire him if it's 8 wins, but the goal has to be to compete for the east and that means 10+.
Where did you expect us to be starting 3 years ago?
Go Vols

VN Store

Back