Hit me with some mind blowing facts

We know that the circumference of a circle is pi times diameter; but I just learned yesterday that pi should be pronounced not like pie, but more like pee.

A stolen bride responsible for Reelfoot lake.

In the winter of 1811-1812, the 150-mile long New Madrid fault line produced a series of four earthquakes so powerful that the Mississippi River was said to have flowed backward for 10-24 hours. This intensity created Reelfoot Lake, and shocks were felt as far away as Quebec. They remain the largest earthquakes ever recorded in the eastern United States. The lake now encompasses 15,000 acres, with an average depth of 5.5 feet (the maximum depth is 18 feet).

The lake's name comes from a legend about a 19th-century Chickasaw Indian chief who was called Reelfoot because he had a deformed foot. His defiance of the Great Spirit by stealing a bride from a neighboring tribe supposedly caused the earthquake that formed the lake.
So you have read the placemat at the restaurant huh? Can't remember which one it is though. Boyette's maybe?

Reactions: Go aeiou
may not be mind blowing for some people who lived through it: the first time someone suggested the dinosaurs were killed off by a meteor, in a peer reviewed paper, wasn't until 1980. the exact location in Mexico wasn't found, and the 1980 theory proved until 1990. It wasn't accepted until 1996.

crazy that I was learning about dinosaurs as history was being discovered. and that such a major event wasn't known until just recently.

That story will change one day anyways. It's already shaky at best.

VN Store

Back