How can Iowa possibly prepare for Tennessee

I'm sure Iowa will seek to confuse Nico and disguise things, but by now, Nico will know the playbook. If his WRs are up to speed on making their reads/decisions, I hope they'll let Nico attack the entire field. They have to keep Iowa honest. If they continue with the same play calling used with Milton and lean heavily on that WR screen play, it will be a long afternoon for UT. If Nico is going to learn, they have to accept some mistakes. If he's going to make those rookie mistakes, I'd rather it be vs Iowa in a meaningless bowl game than in a critical game next season. Protect him physically, but let Nico play.

he may know the playbook but 80% of it he has never attempted to execute

I think we shall see it

The playbook wasn't as limited as some think it was. But with the new personnel I expected it to be very limited. I could be wrong but Nico doesn't strike me as a Dobbs type QB who could make plays where none existed.

I just hope we have enough offense to win the game.

DeBord was a surprisingly good OC at Tennessee.
Iowa's issue this season was more about lack of players than the offense itself. Cade McNamara is a good QB and was playing well before tearing his ACL. Their whole offense is built around Tight ends and they lost their top 2, both NFL prospects. Even with those guys out their top offensive threat ended up being their TE#3. Losing those tight ends also affected their running game negatively. They do have a decent running back.

I think we will lose this game but in the long term it won’t matter if Nico goes on to have a great career at UT. This game win or lose will be valuable experience for him going into the offseason. A new era has begun.

This game will set the tone for next year - a close loss is probably okay - a complete beat down is not. It is good that it is Iowa and not an Ohio State, Oklahoma or someone like that though. We have a chance and mistakes may not be as costly.

I do wonder if the results could impact how Tennessee approaches the transfer portal. If Nico, looks really good ... and I think we all want that .... then it is a sure bet we'll get no help at that position from the portal. But if he doesn't, would that lead one of the more experienced QB's to think they could come here and win the starting QB position?

Not sure how much smaller the playbook can get, before now you had runs between the tackles and bubble screens on 80% of plays.
Agree...any smaller than it was for Milton you could put our play calls on half of the index card Mike Leach used. (RIP)

Iowa is #5 defensively in the nation. Which initially scares me. Then I start digging a little deeper into the level of competition and it makes more sense.

Iowa is #130 offensively in the nation, against the same level of competition, and I start to feel even better about the Nico led Vols.

The playbook wasn't as limited as some think it was. But with the new personnel I expected it to be very limited. I could be wrong but Nico doesn't strike me as a Dobbs type QB who could make plays where none existed.

I just hope we have enough offense to win the game.

I agree with this. It was not as limited as most think..

Iowa is #5 defensively in the nation. Which initially scares me. Then I start digging a little deeper into the level of competition and it makes more sense.

Iowa is #130 offensively in the nation, against the same level of competition, and I start to feel even better about the Nico led Vols.
Agreed. Iowa played 2 ranked teams (PSU and Michigan), losing by a combined score of 57-0. They lost to Minnesota (last place team in B10 West) at home, 12-10. Excluding Rutgers, the average winning margin in their other 6 conference games was 5.5 pts. Iowa appears to be way over-rated. If the Vols score 17 and don't give up a pick 6, we win. I could see the Vols winning by 3TD if we don't have more than one turnover (pretty big IF). Vegas has the Vols as 8 pt. favorites.

This game means absolutely nothing in regards to recruiting, NIL or transfer portal. It is a glorified scrimmage with a trophy at the end . Regardless , like Herm Edwards said, you play to win the game. If Iowa wins then good for them , if we lose so be it .

Guarantee this beat down Texas A&M is taking tonight will not affect what they do next year what so ever. Neither will us losing to Iowa if that were to happen.

This game means absolutely nothing in regards to recruiting, NIL or transfer portal. It is a glorified scrimmage with a trophy at the end . Regardless , like Herm Edwards said, you play to win the game. If Iowa wins then good for them , if we lose so be it .

Guarantee this beat down Texas A&M is taking tonight will not affect what they do next year what so ever. Neither will us losing to Iowa if that were to happen.
A&M has a freshman from Nashville playing QB and think they said he was Mr.Football but yeah I don't see them losing causing them any issues recruiting.

It'll be like DeBord is OC on both sides.
Iowa doesn’t have the speed to really gash us imo. I actually think we can tighten coverage down a lot and be fine. I said initially I thought Iowa would have problems with our speed but we’ve really lost a lot of players. Idk how this goes down. Iowa wants an ugly game and this could turn into that.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
They prepare more for schemes than players. Now if you have a couple of elite level players you might have some special things.

dBs don't matter. RBs don't matter. They know the offensive playbook will be much smaller than what is on tape due to young inexperienced QB.

They will bring constant pressure on passing downs. Just what you do with youth at QB
Similar to what we did to Clemson last year I would guess.

I am confident we win. I don't know why, just am. I don't think Iowa's gameplan has changed at all.

We need to air it out. If we run our vanilla up the gut plays and they stuff it (which they probably will) we’ll be in trouble. They can’t pass at all. Show us something on offense

Agreed. Iowa played 2 ranked teams (PSU and Michigan), losing by a combined score of 57-0. They lost to Minnesota (last place team in B10 West) at home, 12-10. Excluding Rutgers, the average winning margin in their other 6 conference games was 5.5 pts. Iowa appears to be way over-rated. If the Vols score 17 and don't give up a pick 6, we win. I could see the Vols winning by 3TD if we don't have more than one turnover (pretty big IF). Vegas has the Vols as 8 pt. favorites.

Defense is Iowa's strength. It is hard to predict how well those teams will do from game to game. They typically don't win by a lot of points when they win.

I don't see a 3 TD victory. Too many unknowns on the Tennessee side with this one.

spread the field, nickel and dime them to death on slants and screens
to our rb's and watch them run all over the field. Jalin Hyatt (Sampson) all over again!!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Not sure how much smaller the playbook can get, before now you had runs between the tackles and bubble screens on 80% of plays.
We haven't had a ton of Nico on the field to judge by, but; MAYBE the play book gets opened up! GBO!

I think we will lose this game but in the long term it won’t matter if Nico goes on to have a great career at UT. This game win or lose will be valuable experience for him going into the offseason. A new era has begun.
Of course you’re predicting a loss

VN Store

Back