How can Iowa possibly prepare for Tennessee

They prepare more for schemes than players. Now if you have a couple of elite level players you might have some special things.

dBs don't matter. RBs don't matter. They know the offensive playbook will be much smaller than what is on tape due to young inexperienced QB.

They will bring constant pressure on passing downs. Just what you do with youth at QB

I actually think the playbook will be opened up much more with Nico than it would have with Milton. Outside of throwing the ball far, Milton had no attributes of a good QB. Hopefully we open it up and show what this offense is supposed to look like

I actually think the playbook will be opened up much more with Nico than it would have with Milton. Outside of throwing the ball far, Milton had no attributes of a good QB. Hopefully we open it up and show what this offense is supposed to look like

I believe that to and I am hoping they run the offense at a faster pace than they did with Joe, which we all know is how that O is most effective. I think they can wear down Iowa's D if they can do that. Joe did not seem to be able to handle the offense at a fast pace, lots of delays signaling plays.

I think that is quite possible next year as the season progresses. But people need to understand Nico has had no experience executing plays. Now maybe Josh will do more but I seriously have doubts about that since Nico has limited game experience. The speed of games compared to practice or scrimmages is much greater. Won't be long and we will be able to see.

We'll probably try and run the ball and bubble screens. I hope he let's Nico air it out. If he throws picks, so be it.
Best get mistakes on film in this game so he can study them and will be able to relate to the film since it's him down there and he knows what he was seeing at the time
Just hope he don't throw JG type, Kentucky pick 6s, that could stunt his growth. I agree let him play but a "man's got a know his limitations" per Dirty Harry.

Reactions: HalfullVol
There is a secondary they have never seen, different running back rotation, new quarterback, probably new plays and play calling strategy, plus who knows what.
With an inexperienced freshman QB the history shows that you bring the house, blitzing until he proves that he can beat you.

The DB situation and an inexperienced QB has me a little apprehensive. I think we prevail, but a stout Iowa defense and inexperienced QB has me a little less confident that most about this game. GBO!

Last edited:
Reactions: DaddyChad
I saw the betting line changed this AM from Vols +8.5 to Vols -6. That's big change. Apparently LV is bothered by all the TN bowl opt outs and an inexperience OB.

I'm preparing for the offense to really struggle against Iowa's stout defense. Is it realistic to expect an extremely inexperienced QB to "light it up"? I think not.

I'm preparing for the offense to really struggle against Iowa's stout defense. Is it realistic to expect an extremely inexperienced QB to "light it up"? I think not.
I don’t think he will light it up. But I do think he can give us JOEish numbers. If he can go for 200+ yards and limit INTs I think we can win the ball game.

Oh they are going to come after him . No doubt about it but if he has the green light to tuck it and run for 8 or 10 every time he see’s the chance we will keep the chains moving. Hopefully his speed can make them pay.

I think we will lose this game but in the long term it won’t matter if Nico goes on to have a great career at UT. This game win or lose will be valuable experience for him going into the offseason. A new era has begun.
Lol based off what? Iowa is horrendous on offense

From Volreport

Iowa's list of nonparticipants isn't overwhelming. Most players who are leaving were either already hurt or weren't projected to play.

However, notable players quarterback Cade McNamara and tight ends Erick All and Luke Lachey are still out. This leaves Deacon Hill as the starting signal caller. All is the team's leading receiver at 299 yards despite not having played since mid-October, as well.

On defense, Iowa is in a pretty good spot. An injury that will benefit the Vols is defensive back Cooper DeJean, but the majority of contributors are set to play.

Here's what GoIowaAwesome's Adam Jacobi had to say on The VolReport Show:

"Iowa is a little bit of a dinosaur of the college football world in a lot of ways. Playbook being one of them, but another type is that the team is pretty much intact at this point. The biggest source of losses for this game personnel wise isn't transfer portal, or opt-outs, or the NFL draft, it's injuries. It's injuries to guys like Cade McNamara. Erick All, Luke Lachey the two All-American caliber tight ends. They want to be out there. Cooper DeJean is out with a broken foot. Those guys want to be out there, they can't be out there. That is unusual among teams and even for Iowa its a little unusual. They had more people opting out of the Music City bowl last year than they do for the Citrus Bowl this year. They've done a great job somehow of keeping the wagons circled and keeping everybody intact. So, Iowa should be pretty close personnel wise to 100% of the guys that are physically capable of being out there. But, DeJean is a perfect example of how Iowa won't be at 100% and he's a guy that opens up a lot of doors for the Hawkeyes and their defense. So, Tennessee will have a personnel gap to exploit there."

Reactions: HalfullVol
I saw the betting line changed this AM from Vols +8.5 to Vols -6. That's big change. Apparently LV is bothered by all the TN bowl opt outs and an inexperience OB.
not sure you typed this correctly. line moved but not 14 pts.

Vols were -8 ish

Vols now -6 ish

Reactions: GAVol
There is a secondary they have never seen, different running back rotation, new quarterback, probably new plays and play calling strategy, plus who knows what.
All they have to do is blitz most plays. Our freshman cannot stop that effectively for an entire game.

He should do just fine based on all the people on here wanting him to start all year long. The fans know best.
Absolutely. I hope they start allowing speakers in the QB's helmet so that fans can speak directly to players during the game and tell them the right moves to make.

Reactions: K87vol
They prepare more for schemes than players. Now if you have a couple of elite level players you might have some special things.

dBs don't matter. RBs don't matter. They know the offensive playbook will be much smaller than what is on tape due to young inexperienced QB.

They will bring constant pressure on passing downs. Just what you do with youth at QB

Iowa is good vs the Run, and UT has their best Back and best backup out. Most downs will be passing downs. Unless Sampson has a career day.

Nobody is really mentioning that, but pass protection has the potential to be a big issue for our RBs.

I thought of the veteran Backs opting out and how it would affect protection. Sampson is very small........ Tenn should play 2 tight ends to help out.

Just hope he don't throw JG type, Kentucky pick 6s, that could stunt his growth. I agree let him play but a "man's got a know his limitations" per Dirty Harry.
Well, I'll up you a Tyler Bray "1st pass" Pick 6?

VN Store

Back