How Do We Attack NCSU Defense

Here is a great write up on it
The 3-3-5 Defense: An In-Depth Guide

I dont think its going to fly very well because we have a killer center and our OL is going to create some serious space for our RBs to gash them on the edges. Then they try to stack the box to stop the bleeding and viola Nico begins a tutorial on how to air out the football. Suddenly they are down 14 and its still 5 mins in Q1. Trying to play catch up for their O is going to be bad bad bad.
Excellent analysis. From the write up, I believe we have the skill players to attack this defense. Being able to handle the blitz packages will be critical.

Establishing the run game out of the gates
Need the oline to blow their dline off the ball
Gona need tight ends in a big way, and the screen passes
Didn't Willcox run the 3-3-5, I know Willcoxs 3-3-5 used to give Oregon fits in the late 2000s

Last edited:
Establishing the run game out of the gates
Need the oline to blow their dline off the ball
Gona need tight ends in a big way, and the screen passes
Didn't Willcox run the 3-3-5, I know Willcoxs 3-3-5 used to give Oregon fits in the late 2000s
In all honestly, most teams are multiple these days, and their base defense is only in their part of the time.

Wilcox had us in a 4-3 that would flex into a 4-2-5

Reactions: VolForLife83
Not trying to be negative, just curious about how you attack this defensive alignment. I personally believe if our offensive line controls the los our running backs will feast. Nico has to not force passes, and use his feet when necessary.

I just don’t see this as being any different than how you approach any other odd front. The questions that matter are

1. How many deep safeties
2. Do we have numbers on the perimeter

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
In all honestly, most teams are multiple these days, and their base defense is only in their part of the time.

Thanx man I read the article didn't see Willcox on their, ty for clarifying

I want to attack the middle of that defense bc I don’t think their linebackers are worth a damn. I want to run straight at them, work the RPO game and hit some slants and underneath stuff. They’re going to try and keep everything in front of them so the quick hitters outside the hash are going to be there too. Eventually we’re going to hit one over the top.

Last edited:

This... People tend to think whatever opponents base defense is, that's what personnel they will be locked into lol

Haven’t seen any discussion on this topic. NCSU runs a 3 3 5 defense. How do we go
about attacking this scheme?

Arky is doing it with the rush and especially QB runs against OkSt today.

Also short passes to the TEs to take advantage of the soft white underbelly.

Reactions: BoroVolFan
The beauty is in the balance of run and pass. Once a team sells out to stop one thing, it’s over.
Yes. If they can't stop the run with those three down linemen then issa wrap. If they have to sell out to get pressure and play zero coverage behind it they'll pay then too.

Always interesting to see how teams handle the wide splits. If you have the athletes to play a lot of man coverage, then you can keep more in the box. If not, where do you pull the support from? We are capable of running inside and outside, which puts tremendous pressure on the defense. We have some excellent WRs, so we will run isolation plays by overloading one half of the field and leaving man coverage on the other. With the 3-3-5, the defense has a lot of flexibility in blitzing so the OL and RBs will have to be ready.

I want to attack the middle of that defense bc I don’t think their linebackers are worth a damn. I want to run straight at them, work the RPO game and hit some slants and underneath stuff. They’re going to try and keep everything in front of them so the quick hitters outside the hash are going to be there too. Eventually we’re going to hit one over the top.
When they're in the 3-3-5, we'll likely attack the edges with the run and hit the seam on 4 verticals or the TE on the seam. But...

I bet they'll run something other than the 3-3-5 because it's a terrible matchup for the veer and shoot offense.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I have no clue. I’m not on the coaching staff. I imagine the game plan is to score at least 1 point more than them.
I have to say I can't stand when some of y'all are like this lol. Dude's asking an interesting question that a lot of us are curious about from a scheming perspective.

To answer the question, it's a lot of what others have said already. TEs will be huge, but establishing the running game early will solve a lot of potential issues along with not getting into 3rd and 7+ situations frequently.

I have to say I can't stand when some of y'all are like this lol. Dude's asking an interesting question that a lot of us are curious about from a scheming perspective.

To answer the question, it's a lot of what others have said already. TEs will be huge, but establishing the running game early will solve a lot of potential issues along with not getting into 3rd and 7+ situations frequently.
Grow thicker skin because its only week 2 of this. More weeks to come!!! 😃

Haven’t seen any discussion on this topic. NCSU runs a 3 3 5 defense. How do we go
about attacking this scheme?
3-3-5 is going to be a slightly smaller defense than we are used to seeing. Spread them out and make them commit to stopping the pass with safety help or the run by loading the box, then counter over and over again. If our offense has the right people running it, and we do this year, you can't slow it down unless you have lockdown CBs that can defend on an island and tackle in space.

VN Store

Back