How Do We Attack NCSU Defense

Reminder to the Overthrow Joe fans. Nico was on the bench last year. They have now out scored opponents 142-6 in his starts. Reminder. He was on the bench all year last year watching overthrow Joe talking smack after overthrowing a wide open receiver by 30 yards.
Nico was learning the system last year and dealing with some stuff. The best path was chosen for him and the team’s success at the time. It’s fun to think about what might’ve been but the best decision was made for his future.

Dropping 8- I believe they had CBs playing to jump those routes in the short flat.

Drop 8 is tough. People think of it as a pass defense, but when I was a DC it was my go to 1st and 2nd down run defense. If I’m not mistaken, Saban too loved quarters as a run D

Reactions: sjt18
The lack of quick screens was interesting to me. I would have loved to have seen more (although I know most of our fan base hates them)

I’m not sure why we didn’t. Maybe they were playing a lot of press?
I was really expecting a lot more quick game to the sidelines, but it wasn’t really needed when we’re running up the gut. State knew they were out-athleted going in and played not to get beat . We really went heavy w/ 2 tight ends for a lot of the game and took what was given to us. This team is EASILY the most complete team we’ve had in years, forget Heupel’s tenure. This team can go 12 personnel and pound you or if you want to challenge our wideouts in man we can hit you over the top. Pick your poison. I think we have a very good football team. And honestly, we didn’t even play that clean offensively on Saturday night.

Reactions: gnm53108
Miles Kitselman graded out at 94.0 on PFF...

I was not surprise to see a number of DBs grade out pretty high. As I have said before, we have a lot of talent in the secondary and they will continue to get better as the years progresses.

I was not surprise to see a number of DBs grade out pretty high. As I have said before, we have a lot of talent in the secondary and they will continue to get better as the years progresses.
I've been cautiously optimistic. They're physically more talented than what UT has had for the last few years. They seem to align more with what Heupel is doing culture wise. They were recruited to scheme... and the front 7 makes their growing pains more manageable.

I'm not going to declare NCSU a "great" win. I think they have issues. I think McCall specifically has issues. But the young Vol secondary held up to a veteran QB and good veteran WRs. Concepcion is getting some NFL draft props and was held to 53 yds. Joly who had 89 yds vs the Vols for UConn last year had 30 yds. Everyone else would have done as well if they'd stayed on the bus. Overall holding anyone to 104 yds is a pretty decent accomplishment. We've seen some pretty bad passing attacks have some good days against the UT secondary over the last few years. Lots of teams have eaten the Vols up with a short passing game. I remember one big gainer and then a bunch of short gains in the passing game. Even the short stuff was under duress.

Mostly I've grown to trust Heupel's judgment. Basically they scrapped the whole secondary and started fresh. If he thought the cost/benefit didn't favor that move then some of the guys who moved on would have gotten better incentives to stay.

Reactions: walkenvol
I don’t recall. Did we motion a lot or are you just saying you like that against this front?
You usually run motion to determine if the defense, especially LBs, are in zone coverage. I don’t think we ran that much, but we usually only motion the TE anyway. Saturday night it paid off as our TEs had a heyday.

VN Store

Back