How important is the Oregon game to CBJ?

lol, what?
Seriously, what are you reading? Also to your previous point, 4 of our front 7 is a bit misleading. Oregon rotates a ton on the defensive line, and nobody around these parts is hesitating in describing that unit as a "veteran" bunch. We lost a ton of tackles from our two primary LBs in Kiko Alonso and Michael Clay, and that's the challenge for us right now. Dion Jordan is of course another loss of significance, but for all of his freakish athleticism he never really produced at the level he should/could have for us and two of the guys filling in his spot at "drop end" have played a lot of football for us.

So you say, but describing them as such and them showing they're just as good with the new guys remains to be seen, and Avery Patterson still is recovering from his injury. You guys have a very good defense, but it is NOT your teams strength, and considering the teams we have to play in the SEC, it's not even matching the top 4 or 5 defenses we have to face off with. The SEC doesn't always have the very best offenses around the country, but defense in the SEC just still seems to be on a different level then other conferences and the bowl records back that up. Given how we performed last year, if we don't have some serious young talent, and some brilliant coaching, it might be enough to polish us off this year....but it is still suspect in terms of a national championship.....not sure I would bank on it to say Beat Bama or (insert SEC team that will likely be in Nat Champ here) or Stanford for that matter. I like the ducks, I usually root for them in pac_10 games, I am not in anyway trying to be critical, just saying honestly the Ducks defense is not why it has a high ranking, and it is a possible chink in it's national championship hopes.

Great post-

Oregons D line WILL be very good this year, the matchup vs our offensive line will be fun to watch. I am hoping that we will be ready for the team speed that Oregon has on offense. Hopefully with a couple games under our belt, + good coaching, and some experience against a really great spread offensive mind in Petrino, we will play very disciplined defensive football. We need a mistake free game but plus side, no one including Oregon will know what to expect from this Vol team. HOPING for an upset, but praying we just stay healthy for Florida..;.

Reactions: 1 person
No doubt Defensively (as in for our defense) Oregon is one of our two toughest games this year.... their offense is explosive. Just don't buy into that statue of liberty fake they do!!!! :p

No doubt Defensively (as in for our defense) Oregon is one of our two toughest games this year.... their offense is explosive. Just don't buy into that statue of liberty fake they do!!!! :p

I don't think Oregon has run the statue of liberty fake since 2007 when Mike Bellotti was head coach. I do have to admit it was fun to see Michigan get crushed at home.

So you say, but describing them as such and them showing they're just as good with the new guys remains to be seen, and Avery Patterson still is recovering from his injury. You guys have a very good defense, but it is NOT your teams strength, and considering the teams we have to play in the SEC, it's not even matching the top 4 or 5 defenses we have to face off with. The SEC doesn't always have the very best offenses around the country, but defense in the SEC just still seems to be on a different level then other conferences and the bowl records back that up. Given how we performed last year, if we don't have some serious young talent, and some brilliant coaching, it might be enough to polish us off this year....but it is still suspect in terms of a national championship.....not sure I would bank on it to say Beat Bama or (insert SEC team that will likely be in Nat Champ here) or Stanford for that matter. I like the ducks, I usually root for them in pac_10 games, I am not in anyway trying to be critical, just saying honestly the Ducks defense is not why it has a high ranking, and it is a possible chink in it's national championship hopes.

Oregon's D is underrated. Statistics that measure defensive efficiency and take into account factors that may skew traditional defensive statistics (ex: garbage time points/pace of play) look favorable on Oregon (football outsiders is a helpful website). Oregon's D last year was superior to most teams in the SEC with the exception of Alabama and Florida and more on par with LSU and uSC. Oregon's D also led the country in turnovers which is nice when they have that type of offense.

Oregon's defense this year could be better led by one of the best secondaries in the nation. Linebacker is the largest concern. From what I have seen, none of the linebackers will be able to replace Kiko Alonso and Michael Clay. However, their dline has been getting praise heaped on them for how well they are playing in practice (you talking about practice?) I'm honestly more concerned about the offense and what the dip in efficiency will be with Scott Frost calling the plays. Helfrich will not be calling the plays (nor has he ever).

Patterson nonsense... "and considering the teams we have to play in the SEC, it's not even matching the top 4 or 5 defenses we have to face off with."

Patterson is not still recovering, I'm not sure what you're reading. Our secondary is 100% full go.

The rest of that? More party line drivel... yawn.

Last edited:
I don't think Oregon has run the statue of liberty fake since 2007 when Mike Bellotti was head coach. I do have to admit it was fun to see Michigan get crushed at home.

This why I'm a semi Duck fan. Love seeing it when you guys shut up loudmouth obnoxious BIG teams. Hope you get a chance to do that to OSU too. To be fair, SEC teams tend to be arrogant too but nothing like the Taurus excrement I've seen from UM and OSU. The others are generally Ok, but those two: :gun:

Under those circumstances, "Go Ducks!"

Patterson is not still recovering, I'm not sure what you're reading. Our secondary is 100% full go.

The rest of that? More party line drivel... yawn.

Well likely won't prove one way or the other after playing us....but I wouldn't be too cocky going into Standford or the BCS bowl should you get there......regardless of what happens in our game just remember you're gonna have the state of Tennessee rooting for ya against USC....the other USC, that new USC on the west coast.

I must admit it was epic....We enjoyed playing Michigan ourselves.

This why I'm a semi Duck fan. Love seeing it when you guys shut up loudmouth obnoxious BIG teams. Hope you get a chance to do that to OSU too. To be fair, SEC teams tend to be arrogant too but nothing like the Taurus excrement I've seen from UM and OSU. The others are generally Ok, but those two: :gun:

Under those circumstances, "Go Ducks!"

One of the best moments of that Oregon vs. Michigan game came "After" the game. A recruit Michigan had at the game, turned and pointed to the Ducks and said "I want to play for them". Then the kid's high school coach gave his contact info to an Oregon coach and said "I've got a lot of kids for you guys". Got to thank Michigan for helping the Ducks recruit in the midwest. :)

I must admit it was epic....We enjoyed playing Michigan ourselves.

Yea we took a lot of heat BEFORE the game from Michigan fans about how we were just a high school team that really didn't belong on the field with Michigan and all their 'tradition".

Got quiet afterwards.......... I remember when they came to Autzen and couldn't handle the noise. Pretty fun......

One of the best moments of that Oregon vs. Michigan game came "After" the game. A recruit Michigan had at the game, turned and pointed to the Ducks and said "I want to play for them". Then the kid's high school coach gave his contact info to an Oregon coach and said "I've got a lot of kids for you guys". Got to thank Michigan for helping the Ducks recruit in the midwest. :)

Made my day. :) :) :) :) :)

If this team comes out and plays 4 quarters of football on both sides of the ball, giving it everything they have against a team as good as Oregon, I am impressed. The fact that they are on the road does matter and how this team handles themselves in a hostile environment will show how effective Coach Jones various methods of game type situations has been. Oregon has every right to be favored in the game. They are at home against a team that hasn't had a winning season in a while and they can count the number of times they have lost in the last 2 years on one hand.

If I see our team come in and give it all they've got for 4 quarters, with no give in them, I can live with that. Given the situation it really is all that anyone can ask of them.

That being said, upsets do happen in College Football. Most of the time its a team that's favored and not paying attention to the team thats coming in for whatever reason that might be. Sometimes its a team that traditionally doesn't do well, from a smaller conference or whatever the case may be. I watched the Appalachian State vs Michigan game so no one can tell me that we can't be Oregon, even in their own house.

For better or worse, we won't know until the 14th of September.

Reactions: 3 people
Well likely won't prove one way or the other after playing us....but I wouldn't be too cocky going into Standford or the BCS bowl should you get there......regardless of what happens in our game just remember you're gonna have the state of Tennessee rooting for ya against USC....the other USC, that new USC on the west coast.

Sgt Nick, thanks to the 12 team conference scheduling we don't get U$C this year. Or possibly in the PAC-12 Championship. I expect UCLA to win the South this year. The North is going to be tough, with Oregon, Stanford, Washington and Oregon State all capable of winning it this year.

If this team comes out and plays 4 quarters of football on both sides of the ball, giving it everything they have against a team as good as Oregon, I am impressed. The fact that they are on the road does matter and how this team handles themselves in a hostile environment will show how effective Coach Jones various methods of game type situations has been. Oregon has every right to be favored in the game. They are at home against a team that hasn't had a winning season in a while and they can count the number of times they have lost in the last 2 years on one hand.

If I see our team come in and give it all they've got for 4 quarters, with no give in them, I can live with that. Given the situation it really is all that anyone can ask of them.

That being said, upsets do happen in College Football. Most of the time its a team that's favored and not paying attention to the team thats coming in for whatever reason that might be. Sometimes its a team that traditionally doesn't do well, from a smaller conference or whatever the case may be. I watched the Appalachian State vs Michigan game so no one can tell me that we can't be Oregon, even in their own house.

For better or worse, we won't know until the 14th of September.

You can be darn sure Oregon is paying attention to Tennessee. It a verification game for them, especially after the LSU whipping. They"ll be out to dismantle a bit of the SEC mystique. Expect a pedal to metal approach from them.

I hope that game will be on national TV cause I will want to see how this team reacts to a powerhouse like Oregon. Should be an exciting and fun game to watch unless its a dismantling by halftime. I just hope the boys go out there give it all they got on both sides of the ball for 60 mins and if they have good numbers but come up on the short end, I think Volnation will be happy regardless, only cause the guys gave it all they had.

VN Store

Back