How important is the Oregon game to CBJ?

Naw, it hasn't been a decade. Maybe 5-8 years. Plus, Oregon's been building from the worst program in the country towards the top for about 30 years. Turn around year was 1994 for the program. Reference "The Pick" as the turning point. Granted most in the country still think we're a flash in the pan and will disappear quickly with a bad season sometime. LOL

We're building the infrastructure to be around for a long time. And yea, lots of other schools are playing "catch up" in the facilities area. So be it.

And yes, we thank Uncle Phil and Nike very very much.

Where the hell is our security for this site? How in the world did Oregon get in? You better hope CBJ and company are not as good as I think they are because if so the only PICK I'll be referencing to is PICKING your ass up off your field after we plow it! GTFO bUTch!

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

Reactions: 2 people
As long as we see a team that doesn't give up and gives their all then we will see something we havn't see here in a few years. I think it will be a good gage for us to see where we are mentally. I agree that the 3-4 year mark will be the true test. I hope we have things figured out by then because we have some big out of conference games scheduled for the next 4 to 5 years with Oklahoma and Nebraska coming on the schedule.

If this team gives its all and doesn't give up.... and Jones is the coach UT needs... they will win more than six games.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm going to laugh when these Sunshine pumpers cry after we lose 6 or 7 games. Wake up and smell the coffee. We have no depth, new coaches, and no QB. That being said, I would much rather be dead wrong and upset some good teams. I'll gladly eat crow and admit I was wrong.

That... is a case in point of what I was talking about earlier.

I'm not pumping sunshine... and many if not most teams have as many "depth" issues as UT has. Bama doesn't... but UF is desperate enough at WR to be looking at moving one of their better DB's over. UGA lost almost their whole starting D.

EVERY team has a hole to fill. Even Bama has no idea if their replacements will be as good as the players they just put in the NFL.

This really all comes down to one question. Do you think last year was a reflection of the players or a reflection of the coaching? If the former then you see a team that with great coaching should certainly be better than six wins. If the latter then you see overachievement at six wins.

I've looked at it both ways... and find merit in the former but not the latter.

Objectively, the real goal of this season should be to go bowling and to win it.

However, there are intermediate goals along the way.

I think the Oregon game is an important metric for CBJ. The Vols and Oregon actually share similar talent levels. Our strengths should exploit their youth and inexperience. A Wilcox level defense will keep the game under control. Great coaching, and the Vols should put Oregon under a lot of stress and pressure.

I don't expect us to win in the end, but I expect us to be in the game in the fourth quarter this time around. In Knoxville, Mother Nature essentially gave Dooley TWO halftime speeches. It's a wonder half the team didn't jump off Gay Street Bridge after that.

I won't be unduly surprised if we lose big, but IMHO it would be the first question marks against CBJ.

We've all been super impressed with CBJ since he arrived. Circle the Oregon game; I think that will be his - and our - arrival back "in the hunt and in the mix."

I've been saying this for a while. I don't think we are going to win this game, but it should be a good indicator of where we are headed this season. Consider the fact that we get what is essentially two live scrimmages before we hit the road (WKU will be a much better tune up game and the players will be hungry for a better opponent than Austin Peay) and we could show up and play a pretty good game.

Does Nega-Vol = a Realist? I guess it does to the Orange KoolAid crowd.....By chance the SEC power teams all end up with multiple major injuries, our odds of winning will indeed increase. Even if we don't win but 4-5 games, I still intend to enjoy this College Football Season, so let's get it on.
Go Vols

Koolaider here and I dont consider the ones with a bleak outlook realists. They are the ones who label themselves that.

Objective reason is the basis for being "realistic". Most people who talk a lot about being "realistic" seem rather thin skinned, and emotional about our prior losses, and their argument appears aimed at protecting them from being "hurt" again, and not wanting to get hopes up, or some odd satisfaction of having their worst fears become reality ....some of the more extreme sunshine pumpers are about the same but just choose the other way and being hopelessly delusional. Neither group seems likely to have a career in Vegas. Realistic as in Objective reasoning, and fact based analysis, is not actually an opinion you find often on forums.... Realistically there have been SO many changes in coaching and style of play that there's a pretty broad spectrum of what is possible. Would be helpful to see us actually play a game or two before dissecting this team.

Reactions: 3 people
Objective reason is the basis for being "realistic". Most people who talk a lot about being "realistic" seem rather thin skinned, and emotional about our prior losses, and their argument appears aimed at protecting them from being "hurt" again, and not wanting to get hopes up, or some odd satisfaction of having their worst fears become reality ....some of the more extreme sunshine pumpers are about the same but just choose the other way and being hopelessly delusional. Neither group seems likely to have a career in Vegas. Realistic as in Objective reasoning, and fact based analysis, is not actually an opinion you find often on forums.... Realistically there have been SO many changes in coaching and style of play that there's a pretty broad spectrum of what is possible. Would be helpful to see us actually play a game or two before dissecting this team.

Well thought out, rational...you my friend are in need of
a drink.

Or two.

somewhere in Clarksville there is an APSU fan asking "how important is the Tennessee game to CKC?"

If you are basing this team's success or failure on the Oregon game, you are going to be disappointed. While I expect the Vols to be much improved, better coached and to play with more heart, the Oregon game is a terrible match up.

Away from home,hostile crowd, vs a top 3 ranked team, with a lot of speed, depth, and experience. Throw in the fact that they will be trying to make a statement to the world about their ability to play vs an SEC team. Then add in the fact that UT is breaking in an inexperienced, unproven QB and receiving corps and a defense that is not fast, experienced, or deep at LB and DB. This is a recipe for disaster.

I expect at least 7 wins in the regular season and for the team to improve as the year goes on. However, I do not expect this game to be close.

If you are basing this team's success or failure on the Oregon game, you are going to be disappointed. While I expect the Vols to be much improved, better coached and to play with more heart, the Oregon game is a terrible match up.

Away from home,hostile crowd, vs a top 3 ranked team, with a lot of speed, depth, and experience. Throw in the fact that they will be trying to make a statement to the world about their ability to play vs an SEC team. Then add in the fact that UT is breaking in an inexperienced, unproven QB and receiving corps and a defense that is not fast, experienced, or deep at LB and DB. This is a recipe for disaster.

I expect at least 7 wins in the regular season and for the team to improve as the year goes on. However, I do not expect this game to be close.

If they were gonna make a statement to an SEC team, they had no better chance than a couple years ago. They had a chance to make a statement against Bama on the biggest stage in college football and failed miserably.

If they were gonna make a statement to an SEC team, they had no better chance than a couple years ago. They had a chance to make a statement against Bama on the biggest stage in college football and failed miserably.

Actually, it was Auburn and if you are comparing this Tennessee team to that Auburn team led by Cam Newton, you are delusional.

VN Store

Back