How Iowa might win

When we limp to Orlando with half our roster and still beat your team like a drum, will you finally admit we have more talent?
1702035230828-jpeg.600807
How is all-time first-rounders relevent? I'm talking about NFL players who are still playing, not Payton Manning šŸ˜‚

Over the last 3 years (which is most relevant to this game), UT has produced 11 and Iowa has produced 7. This is as UT comes out of one of the worst dips in program history. Even judging by the CURRENT number of players in the NFL... Iowa has 29 and UT has 21. Following the absolute incompetence of Butch Jones and Jeremy Pruitt... it should embarrass you that UT is that close.

But that falls far short of an adequate assessment of talent. It isn't just the "stars" but more so the guys around them that won't go pro. UT will likely have more drafted in the next few years but let's say both average 4. That's 16 out of 85. Your problem isn't the 16... your problem is the 69 others.
Iowa should be embarrassed to have 38% more NFL players than Tennessee? Not sure I understand that logic. I know that Tennessee is talented, as are most all SEC teams. Just not sure you guys are "Going to run us off the field with overwhelming talent". Iowa isn't Vandy, Mississippi State, Mizzou, South Carolina etc.

As to your other point of the other "69", over the last twenty years 87% of Iowa's starters under Ferentz have either been drafted or signed free agent contracts. I think our "69" tends to have plenty of talent as well.

Last edited:
So basically you're saying Tennessee has had more talent at the top but Iowa has more depth the last twenty years?

So you agree you were wrong about your program putting more guys into the nfl?

Whatā€™re you basing your ā€œmore depthā€ claim on?

So you agree you were wrong about your program putting more guys into the nfl?

Whatā€™re you basing your ā€œmore depthā€ claim on?
Current NFL players:

Iowa 29

UT 21

More depth is based on your comment of 15 first rounders for UT vs. 9 for Iowa since 2000. It looks like you guys have more first round picks, but we have more NFL talent overall. Hence, my point of better depth.

By percentage, Iowa puts nearly 40% more players into the NFL than Tennessee. That's even including the big draft class you just had last year. Oh btw, Iowa had two first round picks off their defense in the 2023 draft, and a first rounder will be taken in 2024 from Iowa's defense if Cooper Dejean doesn't return for his senior year.

and since you seem to be somehwhat of a history buff when it comes to NFL picks, Iowa has 5 all time NFL hall of famers, Tennesee has 3.

Last edited:
I get it, hence my 17-3 prediction.

So you're saying your current RBs are faster than Hurd and Kamara? I'm not seeing that when I watch your games. If you're saying the Vol RBs are faster than the Iowa RBs, I would argue with that as well.

We know what we're bringing into this game. Our offensive success rests on the play of the OL, which has not been good for most of the season. They did improve in run blocking, but Michigan's D was too much to overcome. I don't think UT's D is as good as Michigan's. Obviously, hard to apply any sort of transitive property.

We have played some man D, just more typically a cover six zone. The LBs do a good job in pass coverage as well. I think/hope you will be impressed by this year's version of the Iowa D. I think the Tax Slayer and Rose Bowl disasters made our DC change his philosophy a bit and an example of that would be the rise of players like Sebastian Castro (and your Titan's Amani Hooker).
Sampson is faster then Hurd or Kamara. Thatā€™s a fact. Wright has been clocked over 22 mph, he is very fast. Not trying to argue you probably havenā€™t seen enough of them yet. GBO

Sampson is faster then Hurd or Kamara. Thatā€™s a fact. Wright has been clocked over 22 mph, he is very fast. Not trying to argue you probably havenā€™t seen enough of them yet. GBO

No, I haven't. Know that we were definitely at a speed disadvantage the last time we played. I think our defense is much better now, but if that is actually good enough certainly remains to be seen.

Iowa should be embarrassed to have 38% more NFL players than Tennessee? Not sure I understand that logic. I know that Tennessee is talented, as are most all SEC teams. Just not sure you guys are "Going to run us off the field with overwhelming talent". Iowa isn't Vandy, Mississippi State, Mizzou, South Carolina etc.
LOL. Seriously? You definitely aren't Mizzou... and not even MSU or USCe. In fact, according to 247's composite... you'd be the 13th most talented team in the SEC this year just above Vandy

UT is much more talented. There are ways to overcome talent gaps but you aren't being very realistic.

As to your other point of the other "69", over the last twenty years 87% of Iowa's starters under Ferentz have either been drafted or signed free agent contracts. I think our "69" tends to have plenty of talent as well.
We will see soon enough. I've been around this forum a while. There are always guys like you coming around and talking out of their rears before games like this. We had some Utah State fans tell us how their stars were just as good as SEC players. There were Iowa fans the last time telling us how the Hawkeyes were going to bully UT with Big 10 football.

The caveat to all of this is that UT is losing some players to the portal that would have been important in this game. We will have to see how that plays out. Two defensive starters announced today.

Of course you have guys go to the portal... mostly because they can.

Reactions: TnScooby
LOL. Seriously? You definitely aren't Mizzou... and not even MSU or USCe. In fact, according to 247's composite... you'd be the 13th most talented team in the SEC this year just above Vandy

UT is much more talented. There are ways to overcome talent gaps but you aren't being very realistic.

We will see soon enough. I've been around this forum a while. There are always guys like you coming around and talking out of their rears before games like this. We had some Utah State fans tell us how their stars were just as good as SEC players. There were Iowa fans the last time telling us how the Hawkeyes were going to bully UT with Big 10 football.

The caveat to all of this is that UT is losing some players to the portal that would have been important in this game. We will have to see how that plays out. Two defensive starters announced today.

Of course you have guys go to the portal... mostly because they can.
You clearly aren't understanding what I'm saying. I have zero doubt that your freshaman class would probably beat ours. But do you think high school rankings or NFL talent is a better indicator of the teams that will be on the field? I don't know how Tennessee decides on depth chart, but at Iowa it's the experienced and developed players who play in the games, not the high school recruits. And every empirical piece of evidence says Iowa players leave our program and have a better shot to be NFL talent than Tennessee's players and that is who will be playing the game, and is an indisputable FACT.

If anything, the fact that your 4 and 5 stars stand a 60% chance of making the NFL as our 2 and 3 stars probably points to the strength of our coaching vs. yours over the years.

Also, I looked it up and Iowa has 13 first round picks since 2000, not 9 so you guys don't even have a big edge in top end talent and Iowa dominates in mid-late round picks compared to Tennessee the last ten years.

Since 2010 Iowa has 10 first round picks and Tennessee has 6.

Since 2019, for an even more current reflection of NFl talent gap, Iowa has 6 first round picks to Tennessee having just one.

Last edited:
You clearly aren't understanding what I'm saying. I have zero doubt that your freshaman class would probably beat ours. But do you think high school rankings or NFL talent is a better indicator of the teams that will be on the field? I don't know how Tennessee decides on depth chart, but at Iowa it's the experienced and developed players who play in the games, not the high school recruits. And every empirical piece of evidence says Iowa players leave our program and have a better shot to be NFL talent than Tennessee's players and that is who will be playing the game, and is an indisputable FACT.
Right. You are wrong but it is only because I don't understand. I don't put the faith in individual rankings that many do. We've had some pretty heated arguments over the topic. But when looked at in the composite, it is a good measure of a roster's talent. More talent with good development vs less talent with good development... is still more talent.

You are making a false assumption that a team with more talented players necessarily does a lesser job of development. That can be true but generally isn't.

The "empirical" evidence says no such thing unless you cherry pick that "empirical" evidence as you seem to be doing. And no, nothing you've said so far is an "indisputable fact". You've chosen the total number of players in the NFL from a period when UT was at a historic low as a program.
If anything, the fact that your 4 and 5 stars stand a 60% chance of making the NFL as our 2 and 3 stars probably points to the strength of our coaching vs. yours over the years.
No dispute that prior to Heupel Ferentz is better than anyone UT has hired since Fulmer. The recruiting sites are fairly accurate when they give 4/5*. They miss as many as they find. That still doesn't help you though since you aren't going to find ALL of the underrated 3* players. I respect what Iowa and programs like them do. You find guys with potential then develop and coach them into good players. But you want to pretend that man for man Iowa's 2/3* guys are just as good talent wise as UT's players... or MSU, Mizzou, or USCe.

They're not. That doesn't mean you can't win. It just makes it less likely
Also, I looked it up and Iowa has 13 first round picks since 2000, not 9 so you guys don't even have a big edge in top end talent and Iowa dominates in mid-late round picks compared to Tennessee the last ten years.

Since 2019, for an even more current reflection of NFl talent gap, Iowa has 6 first round picks to Tennessee having just one.
Fulmer declined after 98. By the time he was fired the roster was pretty bad. Between Kiffin, Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt there is no argument that it didn't get better. It is better and is getting better now.

And UT is well coached now. The last time UT beat Iowa... Butch Jones was HC. He's not even a good mid-major level coach.

And again, you are cherry picking. UT has put more guys in the NFL than Iowa since Heupel arrived... in spite of not having a good roster.

Reactions: TnScooby
Iowa plays Big Ten offenses. Who suck. That is partly why their defense is decent.

I canā€™t see TN not winning this game if Milton has even an average game.

Well, Iowa's chances for winning just went up significantly. We're not the defense an inexperienced QB should be cutting his teeth on.

Guess many of you are getting what you want with Nico starting. If he can keep from getting greedy he will likely do fine.

Also, he needs to be smart on his runs to stay healthy. #29 is lurking.

Reactions: VolFanatic27

Bro those NFL numbers aren't even accurate. Our program went through a scandal during this time frame. The number of transfers alone skew the numbers. There are a number of guys that were multi year starters at UT, who transfered during the scandal. They all spent 1 year at their next stops and went to the NFL.

Well, Iowa's chances for winning just went up significantly. We're not the defense an inexperienced QB should be cutting his teeth on.

Guess many of you are getting what you want with Nico starting. If he can keep from getting greedy he will likely do fine.

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£. WGWTFA

Reactions: #1HomeGrownUTVOL
Guys please do not argue with inferior fan basesā€¦it truly is a waste of timeā€¦it is like trying to argue with a Mizzou or Kentucky fan. They will try to pull different time frames of somewhat success they have had. They will try to argue NFL draft picks with you when 3rd string right guards are really a thing to gloat about or when most guys prior to 1960 barely cared playing pro ball because the pay sucked. That program is 693-575-39 all time playing schedules not even closely resembling ours. We are 864-414-53. Other fanbases will never get it and honestly you guys shouldnā€™t worry about it. They are excited to play us, even in our down years and will beat their chest if they win. Schools like that are just another game to us and almost meaningless if we win or lose. We are the school of Peyton, Reggie, Doug Atkins and countless others. Their two best players are a guy known for dying in a war and a bad actor. These are the factsā€¦nearly 200 win differenceā€¦itā€™s a joke. Anybody can win on a given dayā€¦but they show they discount history or their lack of simple comprehension of it by running their mouths. If you arenā€™t Bama, Michigan level historically then please move along and respect our program and quit trying to think you are even close to a level we have achieved. It is simply disrespectful.
Again guysā€¦do not entertain these people. Go Vols!!!

Hey man- please donā€™t let a vocal extreme minority of chest beating 20 year olds paint you a picture of the overall nature of our fanbase.

Being the only meaningful football team in the entire state (the oilers donā€™t count), we have a very large and diverse fanbase. As a result, like when dredging for shrimp, youā€™re gonna get a few rusty beer cans in your net.

As a whole, we greatly respect your program and know this game will be a four quarter war- and starting a true frosh at QB is always a recipe for disaster.

Protip: protect your QB and throw it deep- youā€™ll either get a 15 yard PI call and auto first down, or a TD on nearly every play.

Best of luck to Iowa, and travel safe if going to game !

Hey man- please donā€™t let a vocal extreme minority of chest beating 20 year olds paint you a picture of the overall nature of our fanbase.

Being the only meaningful football team in the entire state (the oilers donā€™t count), we have a very large and diverse fanbase. As a result, like when dredging for shrimp, youā€™re gonna get a few rusty beer cans in your net.

As a whole, we greatly respect your program and know this game will be a four quarter war- and starting a true frosh at QB is always a recipe for disaster.

Protip: protect your QB and throw it deep- youā€™ll either get a 15 yard PI call and auto first down, or a TD on nearly every play.

Best of luck to Iowa, and travel safe if going to game !
Well, we don't protect our QB and don't throw more than 20 yards downfield, so no worries there.

The chances of winning are the same as they were before close to 0. The chances of getting fiddy dropped on you have lessened. I predict 17-3 by the half final score 37-10..... Gaston Moore will likely get some meaningful snaps this game.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
Guys please do not argue with inferior fan basesā€¦it truly is a waste of timeā€¦it is like trying to argue with a Mizzou or Kentucky fan. They will try to pull different time frames of somewhat success they have had. They will try to argue NFL draft picks with you when 3rd string right guards are really a thing to gloat about or when most guys prior to 1960 barely cared playing pro ball because the pay sucked. That program is 693-575-39 all time playing schedules not even closely resembling ours. We are 864-414-53. Other fanbases will never get it and honestly you guys shouldnā€™t worry about it. They are excited to play us, even in our down years and will beat their chest if they win. Schools like that are just another game to us and almost meaningless if we win or lose. We are the school of Peyton, Reggie, Doug Atkins and countless others. Their two best players are a guy known for dying in a war and a bad actor. These are the factsā€¦nearly 200 win differenceā€¦itā€™s a joke. Anybody can win on a given dayā€¦but they show they discount history or their lack of simple comprehension of it by running their mouths. If you arenā€™t Bama, Michigan level historically then please move along and respect our program and quit trying to think you are even close to a level we have achieved. It is simply disrespectful.
Again guysā€¦do not entertain these people. Go Vols!!!
Hahaha Tennessee has sucked for 20 years and you know it. Sorry, is that a disrespectful thing to say to ā€œthe Nebraska of the Southā€?

The chances of winning are the same as they were before close to 0. The chances of getting fiddy dropped on you have lessened. I predict 17-3 by the half final score 37-10..... Gaston Moore will likely get some meaningful snaps this game.
Iowa's run game is decent. If Tennessee doesn't load up the LOS, Iowa will get yards on the ground and keep the UT offense on the sideline. Nico could have 2-3 ints if he tries to do too.much.

VN Store

Back