How long will it take to be a championship team?

skasper06

I think most Vol fans would agree that Butch gets it. Every thread I have read has someone posting that he does...but how long will it take for him to get us back to SEC/National championship form?

2 years? 5 years?

I'm going to say we have an 8 win season within 3 years... And a 10+ win season within 5 years... Once his recruits have come in and have established themselves in CBJ's system we will be there.

Even further... how long until we beat Alabama and Florida?

5 year- you should be in Atlanta

Who you face there will determine that next step you're asking about.

There is no reason Tennessee should be a middle of the pack East team for any longer than 4-5 years. By then, the upcoming teams of today will have fizzled, and the teams at the top in the east currently will have new coaching staffs.

However, let me remind you boys as I've said before: you CANNOT INSTALL A REVOLVING DOOR AT YOUR COACH'S OFFICE. PICK A GUY THAT DOES NOT SUCK AND KEEP HIM.

Hopefuly this guy is the right fit.

NB4: "Oh he is 07, he gets it!" yaddda yaddda blah blah blah.....

Reactions: 5 people
I'd say 2 years to start competing for one 4-5 to get one
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Tennessee won when Hamilton left. They repeated when Fooley left. They three peated when Jones was hired. Awaiting legendary status.

Reactions: 1 person
You're talking about the SEC. I don't think 10 wins is enough to be at a championship level. UGA, UF, and Bama were all 11-1. That's pretty tough to do in the SEC. Granted the schedules set up favorably for UGA and Bama and UF caught aTm early.

It may take a while to get into "championship" form but I think UT can at least beat some of the upper tier teams.

3 years tops, Butch has done it everywhere else he's been. The guy just knows how to win. How many other coaches in the country could have a top 4 recruiting class coming off 3 straight losing seasons.

In the past 20 years, every coach who has won an SEC championship has won one in their first 6 years. And actually, only two coaches have taken that long (Phillip Fulmer and Tommy Tuberville). Everyone else won it in their first 3 years. And all of those guys won at least 9 games in their second year (actually, Tuberville is the only one who only won 9, the rest won 10 or more by year 2).

If Butch Jones is an SEC championship caliber coach, we should know it rather quickly.

Reactions: 6 people
I think we should be competitive by CBJ's 3rd year. (I still believe Dooley built a team last year that a better coach could have been much more competitive with).

I'm with TXA&M07 overall, though. We've got to stand by our man as a fanbase. Give him a good 5-6 years. We'll never get back to championship level if we fahr the head coach every 2 1/2 years...

Well this class we are putting together will be juniors in year 4. that is the year i will look for us to compete for an SEC title.

I think most Vol fans would agree that Butch gets it. Every thread I have read has someone posting that he does...but how long will it take for him to get us back to SEC/National championship form?

2 years? 5 years?

I'm going to say we have an 8 win season within 3 years... And a 10+ win season within 5 years... Once his recruits have come in and have established themselves in CBJ's system we will be there.

If we have to play 9 S.E.C. games per year, it will take longer....

Also, it also depends on when the teams at the top of the S.E.C. pekcing order start to decline. When Alabama, A & M, etc. start to slip, then we should be in position to strike....

I think we should be competitive by CBJ's 3rd year. (I still believe Dooley built a team last year that a better coach could have been much more competitive with).

I'm with TXA&M07 overall, though. We've got to stand by our man as a fanbase. Give him a good 5-6 years. We'll never get back to championship level if we fahr the head coach every 2 1/2 years...

Every year you stick with a loser puts you further behind. Just imagine the state of our program if we had given Dooley another year.

Year 3 to be in the hunt for the East, IMO. If recruiting keeps up, we should have excellent players at every position by 2015.

This 2014 class is going to carry us through a lot of games.

2 years? 5 years?

How long it takes imho will be determined by how many wins he get's this year.....if we get that 8 win season this year.... I say we will be competing for SEC by year 3

If we hit 6-6 ...maybe 5-6 yrs...if we go 4-8 could be a verrry long time :)

2 years? 5 years?

Other than us playing in the S.E.C. Championship game, when will we play both Alabama & Florida in the same season?

Aren't we getting rid of the rival games????? Thus we will not play Alabama each season????

Other than us playing in the S.E.C. Championship game, when will we play both Alabama & Florida in the same season?

Aren't we getting rid of the rival games????? Thus we will not play Alabama each season????

That is yet to be determined.

Doc - good to see you made it back!

took johnny 9 years
took phil 5 years
took dickey 4 years

battle, kiffin and dooley never did

Instead of naming a year for CBJ to meet my expectations, I'll just say that I expect to improve each year both on the field and in recruiting. If those 2 things happen, we'll be back to competing for SEC championships sooner than alot of teams will, and I'll be a happy fade.

Reactions: 2 people
In the past 20 years, every coach who has won an SEC championship has won one in their first 6 years. And actually, only two coaches have taken that long (Phillip Fulmer and Tommy Tuberville). Everyone else won it in their first 3 years. And all of those guys won at least 9 games in their second year (actually, Tuberville is the only one who only won 9, the rest won 10 or more by year 2).

If Butch Jones is an SEC championship caliber coach, we should know it rather quickly.

end thread this is the truth....n is the bar he must meet

VN Store

Back