How long will it take to be a championship team?

Too little too late. Clean up your mess and have pj or Vader email me. That's not gonna fly. I've seen less get more reaction. I'm pissed and not kidding. Delete this one too once you read it.

You damn well know my ties and where I stand with y'all. This has become crap I don't deserve on a free site.

Reactions: 1 person
Too little too late. Clean up your mess and have pj or Vader email me. That's not gonna fly. I've seen less get more reaction. I'm pissed and not kidding. Delete this one too once you read it.

You damn well know my ties and where I stand with y'all. This has become crap I don't deserve on a free site.

I really don't know what you're talking about, nor have I seen any reported posts by you. Feel free to shoot me an email if you feel it's worth your time: vol_freak@yahoo.com

:hi:

Reactions: 2 people
is there an a&m-tennessee rivalry brewing?

did i miss something?

From what I can tell, he was upset at one of the always expected, "this is a Tennessee board, go home troll" comments that didn't get modded quickly enough. Obviously, there must be more that I missed or he's just having a really bad day.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

Reactions: 4 people
It is a Tennessee board and there really isn't any reason for rival fans to post on here, except to troll. I wasn't the one who posted the comment, but I don't disagree with it. Why do you go to a rival's messageboard if you have such thin skin?

Why don't you take a few notes from 99 about how to be a rival poster and still respected by most on VN instead of this incessant whining. Good grief.

Reactions: 3 people

Why you so mad?

It is a Tennessee board and there really isn't any reason for rival fans to post on here, except to troll. I wasn't the one who posted the comment, but I don't disagree with it. Why do you go to a rival's messageboard if you have such thin skin?

We've had quite a few solid rival posters here over the years that offer a unique insight and perspective. Not all are solely here to troll. But you're right, it does take a bit of thick skin because inevitably some fans believe anyone who isn't a Vol fan is automatically a troll.

IMO, the only team in the country right now that is year-in and year-out part of the national championship discussion is Alabama. They are simply in a class by themselves.

After that, its less a pecking order and more a number of tiers. Teams routinely in the second tier are your Florida's, LSU's, Oklahoma's, and now probably Ohio State. Those are teams that have solid talent and,with luck and a favorable schedule, can make a run.

Third tier teams. These are teams that either have to have some kind of marquise player just explode onto the scene, or have to get incredibly lucky and win 2-3 games they shouldn't have, or both. This would be the likes of UGA, USCw, Notre Dame.

Tier 4 teams are your South Carolina's, Nebraska's, and FSU's. You win almost all the games you are supposed to, but we can count on you to blow one or two along the way you were supposed to win handily, and you immediately tumble out of contention.

I'm speaking now to the question of what you are on an annual basis. A team in Tier 2 might have a year or two where they under perform and aren't where they should be. But they are quickly back into form. Same with Tier 3 and 4's.

Right now, UT is not even a fourth tier team. You aren't winning with any consistency and are struggling with teams that ought to be automatics. I'm not saying you don't have the tools and the means to get there. But you need to get to tier 4 before you get to tiers 2 or 3.

I guess that's a long about ways of saying your question is the wrong one. You need to be at a point where you don't worry about Kentucky and Vandy games before you can start figuring out SEC championship and BCS possibilities.

This. Perhaps the attack on him was a bit rough, but it comes with the territory. Look at 99 gator. I can actually stomach him more than 25% of Vol Fans. He's probably the coolest gator fan I've ever encountered. Yet he gets smashed on frequently when he's generally speaking the truth. I go on a WVU website occasionally. Not to troll. Because the only other team I really even remotely care about is WVU. I've got deep ties to the school thru both my moms family and some of my step dads family. I truly want WVU to do well. And I truly go over there because I want to see what's going on with the program....recruiting etc. WVU is CLEARLY. An inferior program to UT. They know that, but won't admit it. But their short man syndrome from being a second tier program, along with their envy of the SEC has made me the subject of several pretty serious attacks over there. When I'm actually there to see what's up with the program. Hell, I cheer for them, yet the Davy Crockett Avitar alone is enough to make them hate me.

So while I hope A&M dude doesn't leave, he must know that it comes with the territory.

IMO, the only team in the country right now that is year-in and year-out part of the national championship discussion is Alabama. They are simply in a class by themselves.

After that, its less a pecking order and more a number of tiers. Teams routinely in the second tier are your Florida's, LSU's, Oklahoma's, and now probably Ohio State. Those are teams that have solid talent and,with luck and a favorable schedule, can make a run.

Third tier teams. These are teams that either have to have some kind of marquise player just explode onto the scene, or have to get incredibly lucky and win 2-3 games they shouldn't have, or both. This would be the likes of UGA, USCw, Notre Dame.

Tier 4 teams are your South Carolina's, Nebraska's, and FSU's. You win almost all the games you are supposed to, but we can count on you to blow one or two along the way you were supposed to win handily, and you immediately tumble out of contention.

I'm speaking now to the question of what you are on an annual basis. A team in Tier 2 might have a year or two where they under perform and aren't where they should be. But they are quickly back into form. Same with Tier 3 and 4's.

Right now, UT is not even a fourth tier team. You aren't winning with any consistency and are struggling with teams that ought to be automatics. I'm not saying you don't have the tools and the means to get there. But you need to get to tier 4 before you get to tiers 2 or 3.

I guess that's a long about ways of saying your question is the wrong one. You need to be at a point where you don't worry about Kentucky and Vandy games before you can start figuring out SEC championship and BCS possibilities.

I generally agree with your premise - programs are grouped in tiers. BUT traditionally strong programs that are down for a short period of time like TN dont start back with tier 4 when they start winning again. See Alabama 2007 to 2008-2012. When a major program like TN gets the right coach - I.e. BUTCH - the program jumps back to its usual spot quickly, which for TN is tier 2.

Agree?

NoOne asked You....Blow up a picture of your avi and post that....Otherwise just refrain.......:eek:lol:.......JK....lol.GBO

We've had quite a few solid rival posters here over the years that offer a unique insight and perspective. Not all are solely here to troll. But you're right, it does take a bit of thick skin because inevitably some fans believe anyone who isn't a Vol fan is automatically a troll.

i was a bit hard on him but he acts lkke a n m is something special n we r dirt. when people act like that i get mad because this is our house n if u invite yourself n u better respect us. i just felt that post showed no respect......thats all

I generally agree with your premise - programs are grouped in tiers. BUT traditionally strong programs that are down for a short period of time like TN dont start back with tier 4 when they start winning again. See Alabama 2007 to 2008-2012. When a major program like TN gets the right coach - I.e. BUTCH - the program jumps back to its usual spot quickly, which for TN is tier 2.

Agree?

Yes, of course. But I'm sorry I just think UT has been "down" too long to be in those groupings.

Can it be turned around? Of course. I just think people envisioning some sort of quick turn around are deluding themselves about just how far a road you have to travel at this point to get back into the mix.

Yes, of course. But I'm sorry I just think UT has been "down" too long to be in those groupings.

Can it be turned around? Of course. I just think people envisioning some sort of quick turn around are deluding themselves about just how far a road you have to travel at this point to get back into the mix.

It does appear like TN is way down, but remember CDD was the head coach the last three years. I suspect those three teams were much better then their record. Alabama only won 3 games the year before Saban. Butch is putting together a top 5 class with a losing program. If he can coach a team to win games like he did at his last two stops TN will be back much quicker than you think. Once Butch gets one big win over a top 10 team, the recruits will come pouring in.

Remember TN is a top 10 program all time in wins, bowls, players drafted in the NFL, and almost all other all time records that matter. TN has the second most SEC titles all time. It will recover very quickly when it has the right coach.

Last edited:
It does appear like TN is way down, but remember CDD was the head coach the last three years. I suspect those three teams were much better then their record. Alabama only won 3 games the year before Saban. Butch is putting together a top 5 class with a losing program. If he can coach a team to win games like he did at his last two stops TN will be back much quicker than you think. Once Butch gets one big win over a top 10 team, the recruits will come pouring in.

Remember TN is a top 10 program all time in wins, bowls, players drafted in the NFL, and almost all other all time records that matter. TN has the second most SEC titles all time. It will recover very quickly when it has the right coach.

The problem is that the kids now don't have that on their radar, it was too long ago. By that logic, a team like Lehigh is just a big win or two from being back on top. (An extreme example, but you get my drift, I'm sure).

My personal sense is that, for UT to get back in the hunt, you simply need much better players than you have. Not two or three of them. 30 of them. And to do that they have to be convinced that coming here is a good step towards getting to the NFL.

That should be the focus right now, imo.

Weird that Florida is tier 2 and Florida State is tier 4. I never would have thought there was such disparity.

Hmmm...well, let's look at recent results. Over the last three years Florida's record is 26-13, while Florida State's is 31-10. Huh? That's kind of weird, since Florida is two tiers above FSU. Well, how about head to head results? Florida State has won 2 of the last 3? Wow, this just gets stranger...Oh, but maybe we should look at recruiting rankings. Well, that's weird. It looks like the average ranking of the last three signing classes for each school (per Rivals) is FSU is 6 and Florida is 6.15.

But you're saying that Florida is a full two tiers ahead of FSU? Odd. I mean, surely this a well-informed perspective you're offering here and not just more silly gator trolling.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back