How Many 4* Recruits Does WKU Have

I will tell you this...
we better have more on O than a QB that doesn't "run" the read option and WRs that don't run precise routes...

WKU has enough to outscore the O we showed last week.imo

Fortunately, we showed nothing last week, so we should be ok

Let's keep it real, though. That RB is pretty good. We should dominate up front, but if that guy gets it out in space, he could be a little pesky.
They aren't going to beat us, but this should be a lot better of a game than last week.

Reactions: 1 person
Jonathan Dowling, a transfer from Florida, was a 5-star recruit and now the starting safety for WKU.

Dowling was a 4-star recruit, and he seems to only excel when facing kentucy. The rest of the season he was an average safety considering the talent he was up against.

WKU's center is really good. I met him and his Dad on a flight. Stand up, good guys.

His Dad was a former starting LB at Penn St and said NFL teams are looking at drafting his son around the 4th round. This was in May.

LOL. Some of you guys just kill me. When UT gets 2* or plays walk-ons (who might have gotten scholarships from WKU) then it is because they're terrible. When WKU plays them, it is because they were overlooked or underrated.

Give it a break. If you go on talent alone this is no closer than a 20 pt game. Games don't always go on talent alone... but if Jones is not outcoached then the Vols win this game handily.

Dowling was a 4-star recruit, and he seems to only excel when facing kentucy. The rest of the season he was an average safety considering the talent he was up against.

How many WKU or Sun Belt Conference games did you watch last year? I would guess not many.
So how do you know what type of talent Dowling, or Andrews as others mentioned faced? I would guess not much.
The only three common opponents for WKU and UT last year were Alabama, UK and Troy State I believe. In those three games WKU, including Dowling and Andrews performed as well as UT. And Troy finished in 6th place in the Sun Belt. So a team that finished in 6th place gave UT all that they could handle (cue the "But that was Dooley and Sunseri" tape), yet WKU does not face any tough competition. I hate to say it, becasue I have cheered for UT for over 3o years but, UT quite possibly would have lost to Ark State and ULL last year.
As others have posted, if it is so easy to excel at the non-BCS schools, why haven't more people done so?
Several players have ended up at WKU because of grade issues, disciplinary issues or becasue former coach Willie Taggart was great at recruiting talent from his hometown area of Tampa Florida. Some of those issues result in lower star ratings, and in Andrews case, he was a QB in high school.
UT will win this game, but discounting the talent level because a Rivals or Scout writer does not rate them high is a mistake.
As an aside. Isn't it funny how when Rivals doesn't rate a UT commit as highly as we would like, the scout is an idiot and knows nothing about football, but when the same scout rates a WKU player as a 2* we take it as gospel that the scout is a genius and the player is lousy?
Believe it or not there are some very good players in the Sun Belt Conference.

WKU's center is really good. I met him and his Dad on a flight. Stand up, good guys.

His Dad was a former starting LB at Penn St and said NFL teams are looking at drafting his son around the 4th round. This was in May.

Sean Conway, RS Senior center, is a four year starter and is getting graded out by NFL scouts. He's a great kid out of Father Ryan in Nashville. He has great size for an NFL center at 6'3" 305lbs or so. He looks part. He is focusing on getting into the NFL. He has held his own against SEC competition. He's pretty excited to play at UT, where his sister attends, this weekend.
His dad, Glenn Conway is different story. He's not listed as a football letterman @ PSU.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/psu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/all-time-lettermen.pdf

Attachments

• all-time-lettermen.pdf
    153.3 KB · Views: 1
No... You can show a little bit more in the passing game without showing the whole play book.

Yeah... because they wouldn't want you to be bored or not feel the electricity... now would they?

After thinking about it... I don't know what UT was thinking. Everyone involved in the decision to hire Jones should be fired immediately. To think, they had you right under their noses and they hired this bum who has no idea what his team needs to work on vs AP. How they could have so flagrantly missed someone with such great "football IQ" is beyond me.

In all seriousness, do you have any idea at all how arrogant you sound nitpicking Jones' "failure" to throw more?

Sean Conway, RS Senior center, is a four year starter and is getting graded out by NFL scouts. He's a great kid out of Father Ryan in Nashville. He has great size for an NFL center at 6'3" 305lbs or so. He looks part. He is focusing on getting into the NFL. He has held his own against SEC competition. He's pretty excited to play at UT, where his sister attends, this weekend.
His dad, Glenn Conway is different story. He's not listed as a football letterman @ PSU.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/psu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/all-time-lettermen.pdf

Hmm I must be mistaken about the starting part. Maybe he was only a walkon. Him (for his age) and his son def look the part. I've trained with NFL, SEC, and Sun Belt players -- Sean's built on an SEC level no doubt.

Last edited:
Yeah... because they wouldn't want you to be bored or not feel the electricity... now would they?

After thinking about it... I don't know what UT was thinking. Everyone involved in the decision to hire Jones should be fired immediately. To think, they had you right under their noses and they hired this bum who has no idea what his team needs to work on vs AP. How they could have so flagrantly missed someone with such great "football IQ" is beyond me.

In all seriousness, do you have any idea at all how arrogant you sound nitpicking Jones' "failure" to throw more?

Survey says........ No.:no:

The guy that is playing with lesser talent. It is similar to a stud high school senior playing on the 8th grade team.

He can only pad his stats if he's better than all the competition he's playing. In that case he'd be a BCS level talent (good enough to hold his own vs us) playing in a small pond. Even when you try to refute his talent you indirectly make the case for him.

43 tackles and 6 INT's is a solid year no matter what. Just because he plays weaker competition doesn't mean the QB's are necessarily throwing more picks across the board. Bo Wallace is an SEC "caliber" QB and led the nation in INT's. Maybe if Dowling played against the likes of him more he'd have more.

Hmm I must be mistaken about the starting part. Maybe he was only a walkon. Him (for his age) and his son def look the part. I've trained with NFL, SEC, and Sun Belt players -- Sean's built on an SEC level no doubt.

You're probably not mistaken in what you heard from his dad. His dad's recollection of events when relating to himself have been known to range from slightly askew to down right embellished.
All the things he is saying about his son have a whole lot of merrit to them. Sean's play against McCullers and Hood could be fun to watch this weekend.

Let me share something with you fella...! I absolutely promise you I couldn't care less what you think of me or my "arrogance". You just go ahead and pretend everything's all all good...all the time...in all situations so long as Butch is the coach. Which I myself like Butch, but I'm beginning to think you might actually have a man crush on him. GO VOLS!

From Rocky Top Blitz on Facebook...

Two WKU football players were asked to come speak with the Bowling Green PD about the murder of another WKU student that took place Monday night. When they didn't show for their interview on Tuesday, detectives showed up at Petrinos office at 6 am yesterday morning. Names of the playets have not been released. JM

I will tell you this...
we better have more on O than a QB that doesn't "run" the read option and WRs that don't run precise routes...

WKU has enough to outscore the O we showed last week.imo

you mean the O that basically just ran the ball up the middle for a 42-0 halftime lead? I haven't seen a more vanilla playbook in my life so an analysis of UT's offense is a little premature.

you mean the O that basically just ran the ball up the middle for a 42-0 halftime lead? I haven't seen a more vanilla playbook in my life so an analysis of UT's offense is a little premature.

Yes...you're right. We should know a lot more after Saturday.

Dowling was extremely overrated. A descent player yes, but not a 5* by no means. Nowhere near as good as Randolph

Well, the facts speak otherwise.

Dowling was All-Sun Belt first team for 2012, and pre-season 2013, as well as being named a Thorpe Award finalist for this year.

Randolph has really yet to prove anything, but I really hope he is successful and surpasses expectations.

You are correct---I thought I read somewhere he was a 5-star, but upon research I discovered I was mistaken.

However, whoever votes for the All-conference team and Thorpe Award finalists disagrees with you on Dowling being "average."

There is insistence by many on here that all of WKU's best players are really just overrated and fluffed-up, but that simply isn't true.

Since I know WKU's talent-level, a close, hard-fought win instead of a blow-out will not dent my enthusiasm for this season's UT team.

Yet no one else besides Barry Sanders has accomplished it. By your logic every all purpose guy that plays mid level competition should accomplish that feat. Its an apples to apples comparison; BCS level players are playing against stiffer competition but they should theoretically be BCS talent themselves. Andrews is playing weaker competition but by everyone here's account he should be less talented as well.

The difference is, Andrews plays 9-10 games vs equal talent and 2-3 games against better talent. A BCS level player plays 9-10 games against equal talent and 2-3 games vs inferior talent. Now who has a chance to pad their stats?

So youre saying he would have the same success on an SEC team then

VN Store

Back