I’m a Volunteer on Saturday and a _______ on Sunday

I was a Packers fan before a Vols fan, growing up in Wisconsin, then moving to Tennessee. I enjoy having such history laden teams to support every weekend. The Packers, then later the Vols, were/are the team(s) I could always talk about with my dad, starting with watching exceedingly mediocre Green Bay games in the early 80s together.

Reading this thread, though, is pretty amusing, seeing the collective of folks who don't watch the NFL for "woke" reasons or whatever, which always struck me as a sort of cutting off the nose to spite your face thing. I guess you'll show them by not being entertained. Ha!

It was fun watching Dobbs show how bright and talented he is. I also enjoyed seeing Allen and Burrow fight it out.

I usually flip through the NFL games for one that looks good or has someone playing I want to watch, but I'm not a "fan" and haven't been since Reggie retired, really.

I just like good football games.

Reactions: MAD
I click follow on all former Vols on ESPN and just follow their stats on Sunday. I used to manually do it but now I update my list during the draft and UDFA period. Same with the NBA. I follow teams with Vols. But if you forced me i'd say Niners and Lakers. Magic Johnson and Jerry Rice are the reasons I started following sports in the first place. I didn't really follow college ball until my early teens.

I click follow on all former Vols on ESPN and just follow their stats on Sunday. I used to manually do it but now I update my list during the draft and UDFA period. Same with the NBA. I follow teams with Vols. But if you forced me i'd say Niners and Lakers. Magic Johnson and Jerry Rice are the reasons I started following sports in the first place. I didn't really follow college ball until my early teens.
Loved Magic when he played against Bird in the NCAA Final.

Loved Magic when he played against Bird in the NCAA Final.
That was the game that changed sports forever. Before then the NBA games were mostly only on TV late late on tape delay. After that game live games and even prime-time games became a thing. All from that single college game.

I was a Packers fan before a Vols fan, growing up in Wisconsin, then moving to Tennessee. I enjoy having such history laden teams to support every weekend. The Packers, then later the Vols, were/are the team(s) I could always talk about with my dad, starting with watching exceedingly mediocre Green Bay games in the early 80s together.

Reading this thread, though, is pretty amusing, seeing the collective of folks who don't watch the NFL for "woke" reasons or whatever, which always struck me as a sort of cutting off the nose to spite your face thing. I guess you'll show them by not being entertained. Ha!
Cutting your nose off to spite your face is a valid point. Based on my own feelings, I think was the “straw that broke the camels back” sorta thing … many people were already tiring of the NFL. But I do enjoy keeping up with former Vols.

Don't care one way or the other about the politics of the NFL. I just always viewed the Titans as the Oilers, and give my allegiance to whatever team has an impactful Vol. I generally default to the eagles, because of Reggie. Was a Packers fan when he was there too.

Really, I prefer NCAA because the NFL is so homogenous in systems teams run compared to college ball and overtime sucks

Reactions: SAPPER 5 and MAD
Being old and from Nashville, I grew up rooting for teams that had UT players on their roster since we had no team back then. And the Lawrence Taylor Giants. I try to root for the Titans but it's like they are being run by Jeremy Pruitt, Butch Jones, and Derek Dooley combined...

Reactions: SAPPER 5 and MAD
I was a Raiders fan in the 60s, 70s and then up until they left Oakland. Something just changed after that. Kinda lost the mojo for the NFL until Peyton got there. Followed his career and pulled for his teams like every other Vol fan. After he retired, I just kinda lost interest. Plus it's just not the same game anymore. All these so-called "protective rules" just ruined it for me. It's closer to flag football than the NFL.

Last edited:
I like a few teams, but mainly Seahawks. I got into them when they won their SB and they've been decent ever since. I also love the bright green.

Vols on Saturday and whoever is still healthy on my fantasy football team on Sundays.

VN Store

Back