I really like our chances in the Swamp

Stevorino

I'm not putting money on a win for the Vols, but I do like some things about this game:

1) Based on interviews only, it seems like this team wants to bounce back in the worst way. This is the game I want if I am a player after a gut-check. Florida is a beatable team and a win would be a HUGE statement. It's rare you can make such a statement over a relatively average team - but that is the case with Florida. There's enough here to create some motivation for extra hours in the film room.

2) Florida has not shown the offensive firepower to put this game out of reach early.

3) Our team, so far this season, has been more disciplined and opportunistic. In a defensive game, those two attributes are very important.

4) I hate calling for a new QB, but if Worley produces a few more of his 3-and-out deer-in-headlights drives, I don't see how Butch can pass up giving another QB a shot to make something happen.

5) I could be wrong about this, so please correct if that's the case: It sounds like the coaches have been developing the playcalling and offensive plan around Worley's assets.

Based on this week's presser, it sounds like they now recognize that it's just not enough. Hopefully we pull out some new wrinkles that Florida doesn't have tape on and we get some big plays for a half. Once again, in a defensive game, this could be a big factor.

Reactions: 4 people
If we cannot pass we will lose big, Florida will stop the run with their front 7. Fact

Our Oline is beastly but we have to pass the ball and pass it enough to move the sticks.

Go Vols

Reactions: 3 people
I couldn’t respectively disagree more. I don’t see us being able to put together a TD drive on Florida. Maybe a few FG’s, Florida can win this game with 14 points. Hope I’m wrong but don’t think I am.

Reactions: 15 people
I think you greatly underestimate Florida's defense. Oregon's defense is good, Florida's is markedly better.

Reactions: 7 people
I was surprised how bad the offense was at Oregon, Florida's D is like playing an NFL team.

I couldn’t respectively disagree more. I don’t see us being able to put together a TD drive on Florida. Maybe a few FG’s, Florida can win this game with 14 points. Hope I’m wrong but don’t think I am.

Based on what we've seen, I think we could win with as little as 14 as well. Their offense is pretty bad.

They only put up 24 against Toledo (who gave up 38 to Missouri and 33 to E Washington)

They only put up 16 against Miami.

Reactions: 1 person
I really like our chances in the Swamp
Not sure if serious.

There is a much greater potential to keep the final score reasonable because of Florida's QB issues and some other weaknesses on their offense, but Florida is as good as Oregon in many areas.

Tennessee has to play way better than anything we've seen thus far in order to not be blown out.

If we lose by say, less than 2 TDs, we shouldn't be too disappointed.

The only thing we can do is run and Florida is giving up 49 yds per game rushing ... You do the math

Based on what we've seen, I think we could win with as little as 14 as well. Their offense is pretty bad.

They only put up 24 against Toledo (who gave up 38 to Missouri and 33 to E Washington)

They only put up 16 against Miami.

Until TN proves me wrong (which I pray they do) Florida has looked bad the past few years before our game and we make them look like world beaters. I'm sure it will happen again.

Reactions: 2 people
Florida's defense dominated Miami. Our best hope is Driskell spotting us a few. The Florida offense is putrid but they always seem to put it together against us. Hoping for a low scoring game and a chance to win in the end.

I felt good before the Florida game last year. And by 3pm Saturday, I'll feel good about Florida this year. That's how it works for me.

To be fair, the Stevorino was also certain we were going to beat South Carolina before that game last year. IIRC

I felt good before the Florida game last year. And by 3pm Saturday, I'll feel good about Florida this year. That's how it works for me.

I felt good until the second half of the Florida game last year. If Burton doesn't hit any big plays I feel pretty good about our defense even after the debacle in Oregon.

If we would've played Oregon closer, I'd agree. With that said, we've got no chance in hell.

This isn't the Florida team of old.

In 2011, we took a young team to the Swamp. 4/5 OL starting then are still starting. AJ/Maggitt got extensive playing time and as True Freshman recorded a total of 10 solo tackles with each adding a TFL. Randolph, Sapp, Miller and Smith saw good amounts of playing time.

Point is... that young team went to the Swamp and lost by 11 with Dooley as HFC against a good Defense and a much better Florida Offense. We still have a good number of players from that team still on roster.

I'm possibly naive here but I'm thinking (hoping) our Offense has played vanilla in all 3 games. We just needed wins against AP and WKU. We wouldn't have won Oregon no matter what we did.

If we can find something resembling a passing game, we have a legit shot. Otherwise, they'll load the box and shut our run down. If our QB can roll out of the pocket in response to pressure instead of standing in the pocket and rushing a throw, we'll have a shot. Florida will get pressure.

I think we'll see screens to Neal/Lane/Pig/Johnson early to stifle Florida's aggressive rushes. I'm worried about our young receivers against their veteran CBs that will likely man up and press them all game. They haven't shown elusivness to this point.

We'll beat Florida with playcalling, good tackling and sound football. We need to exploit their deficiences on Offense as our Offense likely won't move the ball well on them. Miami has a better Offense than we do and they got stifled.

But, rest assured, Florida doesn't have the dynamic weapons they used to. They have some, but they don't have them all over the field like in the Meyers and early Muschamp days.

Reactions: 2 people
I couldn't agree more. One thing that I would like to add to OP's list is that Florida will be playing NOT to lose. Think of how bad it would be for that team, their coach, and their program if they went 0-2 on the season with those two losses being to Miami and Tennessee--two of their three biggest rivals (FSU being the other one). Playing not to lose is an incredibly precarious position to be in. It's like starting in a hole and hoping it doesn't get any deeper. It's really hard to get motivated to win those games because even the slightest bit of turmoil can squelch any intensity that the team has. I would say we have more than a fair shot at this one.

Also, if we have a new QB and we manage to pull the upset, look for him to be the starter for the rest of the year unless he falls apart because he would be an instant hero to VolNation.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back