I think our WR's are gonna surprise even us

They have to be able to catch the ball too. Remember that Leonard Scott could run like the wind, but he could not catch the ball. Kenny O Neal could run like the wind but could not catch the ball. Justin Hunter had the size but could not catch half the balls thrown his way.

Yes, North & Harris have all of the intangibles, but can they catch the ball or do they just look like receivers...

Justin Hunter having close to 1,100 receiving yards the year after tearing his ACL, does not mean that he can't catch a ball. It means that he was rusty that he didn't end up with 1,500 yards.

I'm sure you knew that already, though.

Reactions: 2 people
Sunshine pumpers.

None of our QBs have shown any capability to make the best of our unproven, questionably talented WR corp.

Grow up. :hi:

Reactions: 1 person
I agree. We'll be fine on O if the players can get in sync and learn the plays/routes/schemes/etc by seasons start. The D will be the part that can hurt us and the kicking game. Not because the D won't play hard, but the other teams O will be very good too. Our O this year may not be the high-power/scoring team like the last few yrs. So the O will need to play the clock game and allow the D to rest and given the time to prep for every series. Which is something they didn't get much of this past season.

Fortunately cbj will have 4 solid choices to work with at QB. Which is way better than only having 2 campus neophytes.

Sunshine pumpers.

None of our QBs have shown any capability to make the best of our unproven, questionably talented WR corp.

This isn't necessary man. It doesn't ruin a crappy season that much more if you have more positive expectations. I mean we've lived through the worst stretch of poor football play that UT's been through in a while. What's the worst that can happen if we as a fanbase think we have a chance to win all of the games? We have a totally new coaching staff with an incredibly improved mentality. Sure there are gonna be bumps in the road but why not enjoy the possibility of victory?

Reactions: 8 people
This isn't necessary man. It doesn't ruin a crappy season that much more if you have more positive expectations. I mean we've lived through the worst stretch of poor football play that UT's been through in a while. What's the worst that can happen if we as a fanbase think we have a chance to win all of the games? We have a totally new coaching staff with an incredibly improved mentality. Sure there are gonna be bumps in the road but why not enjoy the possibility of victory?
I have titled this "Ode of the Delusional Sunshine Pumper".

:bad:

I agree. We'll be fine on O if the players can get in sync and learn the plays/routes/schemes/etc by seasons start. The D will be the part that can hurt us and the kicking game. Not because the D won't play hard, but the other teams O will be very good too. Our O this year may not be the high-power/scoring team like the last few yrs. So the O will need to play the clock game and allow the D to rest and given the time to prep for every series. Which is something they didn't get much of this past season.

Fortunately cbj will have 4 solid choices to work with at QB. Which is way better than only having 2 campus neophytes.

Good post
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Sunshine pumpers.

Not like when Peyton Manning starred in the spring practice and O&W game before his freshman year...ohhhhwaaiit...and who excels in ANY spring practice? Drop the butter knife your wrist is getting infected!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 5 people
I think they would surprise even themselves. The problem is passing. If there's not a good QB under center no one will ever know.

Sunshine pumpers.

We are allowed to blindly support our players, this fan base is nationally known for that! :rock:

Worley didn't have the horrendous spring game some are accusing him of. I saw bad drops and poor route running, which makes perfect sense when you only have a handful of healthy scholarship WRs. Worley got rid of the ball quickly and stood tall against pressure. Some gimmicky plays that probably won't be used much were thrown into the mix too.

As for the wide receivers, I think Jenkins will be an excellent fit but he may be needed at defensive back. North will make plays based on pure athleticism. He wasn't used well as a receiver his senior year, and I think he may be more polished than expected. Harris will come along with additional coaching. Croom is unstoppable when he's on his game. Pig and Devrin will play well in the slot. I think Blanc may become a surprising playmaker at some point. All in all, the receivers will be solid but unspectacular.

Jones offense is much more run oriented than what we experienced with Chaney and Dooley. Neal, Lane (who is reportedly on pace to return next month), and Hill will give us good strong running behind an excellent line.

Tight end will be a mix of pure tight end play and King as an H-back. Downs will get first crack at being the man at tight end, but Woody Quinn could factor in if he displays solid blocking.

All in all, the offense will be okay. Worley is the best option right now at QB but it's possible that one of the freshmen could blow the coaches away. Barring one of the freshmen being exceptional in fall camp, expect it to be Worley backed by Peterman. A first run at the top five receivers would be North, Croom, Harris, Young, and Howard, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Harris or Howard drop out to make room for Jenkins. Neal, Lane, and Hill should split carries 40-35-25 with no particular order on how those are split up between them. We will sink or swim on defense this year because we will only be able to do enough to win on offense, not blow many people out. If the defense forces turnovers and negative plays, I think this offense is capable of capitalizing.

Last edited:
I think there is some raw talent there. But, I'm a little concerned that they had so many similar injuries in the Spring. That may not be a coincidence. We may have a problem with their conditioning. Just seems strange.

These guys are being asked to do some physical things they were not asked to do by the previous staff. Pulled hamstrings are going to happen. That is areas the strength and conditioning coaches and staff will have to help out with over the summer workouts. By the time preseason workouts begin, hopefully those injury issue guys should have better flexibility.

I agree with volballer2014. Why should this prestigious university expect less than a&m success last year. New coach, new qback and new conference and they still won. Football is won and lost in the trenches and that is supposedly our strengths. And I am also tired of waiting till next year. You can wait to or three years to get excited but I expect to be in contention immediately.

Worley didn't have the horrendous spring game some are accusing him of. I saw bad drops and poor route running, which makes perfect sense when you only have a handful of healthy scholarship WRs. Worley got rid of the ball quickly and stood tall against pressure. Some gimmicky plays that probably won't be used much were thrown into the mix too.

As for the wide receivers, I think Jenkins will be an excellent fit but he may be needed at defensive back. North will make plays based on pure athleticism. He wasn't used well as a receiver his senior year, and I think he may be more polished than expected. Harris will come along with additional coaching. Croom is unstoppable when he's on his game. Pig and Devrin will play well in the slot. I think Blanc may become a surprising playmaker at some point. All in all, the receivers will be solid but unspectacular.

Jones offense is much more run oriented than what we experienced with Chaney and Dooley. Neal, Lane (who is reportedly on pace to return next month), and Hill will give us good strong running behind an excellent line.

Tight end will be a mix of pure tight end play and King as an H-back. Downs will get first crack at being the man at tight end, but Woody Quinn could factor in if he displays solid blocking.

All in all, the offense will be okay. Worley is the best option right now at QB but it's possible that one of the freshmen could blow the coaches away. Barring one of the freshmen being exceptional in fall camp, expect it to be Worley backed by Peterman. A first run at the top five receivers would be North, Croom, Harris, Young, and Howard, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Harris or Howard drop out to make room for Jenkins. Neal, Lane, and Hill should split carries 40-35-25 with no particular order on how those are split up between them. We will sink or swim on defense this year because we will only be able to do enough to win on offense, not blow many people out. If the defense forces turnovers and negative plays, I think this offense is capable of capitalizing.

Curious if you left Blanc out of your top 6 WR rankings by oversight or otherwise. Anyway, I appreciate your rundown -- always informative.

I know it's "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts..." but I couldn't help thinking about how great it would have been if we had Cameron Clear in the lineup at TE this year. Sure wish he could have kept his hands in his own pockets...

Curious if you left Blanc out of your top 6 WR rankings by oversight or otherwise. Anyway, I appreciate your rundown -- always informative.

I know it's "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts..." but I couldn't help thinking about how great it would have been if we had Cameron Clear in the lineup at TE this year. Sure wish he could have kept his hands in his own pockets...

I think Blanc has a ton of potential, but I wonder if he might not get buried on the depth chart. He may need one more year to fully bloom into a full-blown pkaymaker.

I think Blanc has a ton of potential, but I wonder if he might not get buried on the depth chart. He may need one more year to fully bloom into a full-blown pkaymaker.

No Jacob Carter? He played really well when he was in last year. I could see his style fitting in with Jones' system.

I'm being serious, douche. What's is the worst that can come from higher expectations? Those not being met? SO WHAT?!! We lived through that for 5 ****ing years. Enjoy your miserable life dude. There's no use helping people like you. Have fun not cheering on UT every game this season. But I guess looking more apprehensive (and somehow you think that makes you look like the smarter football fan) is more important to you than the excitement and loyalty of thinking your team has a chance.

Reactions: 6 people
I'm being serious, douche. What's is the worst that can come from higher expectations? Those not being met? SO WHAT?!! We lived through that for 5 ****ing years. Enjoy your miserable life dude. There's no use helping people like you. Have fun not cheering on UT every game this season. But I guess looking more apprehensive (and somehow you think that makes you look like the smarter football fan) is more important to you than the excitement and loyalty of thinking your team has a chance.

Oh u mad...y u so mad though sunshine

Oh u mad...y u so mad though sunshine

Because I honestly don't understand the mentality that "if you think the team is going to do better than I do, then you are a sunshine pumper and don't know anything about football". Excuse me for not watching every game with an expected "L" in the game column.

Reactions: 3 people
You can have Randy Moss and Jerry Rice - if you dont have a qb to throw the ball to them there worthless. I see some talent, young talent, but talent in our WR corps, but from what I saw in the O&W game, I am worried that we may need a true frosh (Dobbs) to come in and play right away.

Worley has proved he can make the throws. Once he and the WRs get the new system down and come back from injuries they will be fine. You can't really draw good conclusions from the OW game.

If we can get healthy, we will field the largest group of WR's in our history and very likely in the entire NCAA. 3 WR's from 6'4"-6'5." That's just crazy and practically unheard of at this level. And all of them can fly.

If Harris and North can play at an SEC level, as freshmen, it's on like Donkey Kong! :)

Then our most fundamentally sound WR (Cody Blanc) is 6'3," himself. I really do think opponents are going to struggle with that amount of size. Why? Cause it's hard to defend with your best CB, let along ask all of them to defend a guy who can use your helmet for a snack tray (eating peanuts, ya'll). :dance2:

Where's the Croom love? Dude looks like he could be a beast.

VN Store

Back