I think our WR's are gonna surprise even us

Sunshine pumpers.

None of our QBs have shown any capability to make the best of our unproven, questionably talented WR corp.

Grow up. :hi:

I hear there is a biker bar close to your house where everyone is way too optimistic about the future of Harley Davidson. Please drive over there immediately and let everyone know what a bunch of niave babies they are. We are all counting on you.

Also, there is an old lady buying a lottery ticket somewhere right now who you forgot to shame. Stop dropping the ball.

Reactions: 4 people
My thoughts about it are

1.) we had 2 greats recievers for the past two years ahead of everyone not allowing us to see how good they are
*DR AND JH
*CP and JH

2.)we are going to have someone step up that we don't expect. (North is my guess as a freshman)

3.)our QBs should have plenty of time to throw the ball because of a great OLine

You can have Randy Moss and Jerry Rice - if you dont have a qb to throw the ball to them there worthless. I see some talent, young talent, but talent in our WR corps, but from what I saw in the O&W game, I am worried that we may need a true frosh (Dobbs) to come in and play right away.

Based on? The spring? Several and maybe most of the contributors in the fall did not play in the spring game. The likely starting TE didn't. Croom didn't.

I really like Dobbs. He looks like the better prospect vs Ferguson. But what advantage do you think he has over Worley or Peterman?

They will both have a head start on the system and working with the team/receivers. Both are FAR more developed- both came in similar in size to those guys and are now around 220... a huge gain in muscle mass. Worley in particular was a VERY accomplished passer in HS... better than either of the incoming guys.

It is VERY foolish to make a conclusion about those two based on what fans saw of spring practice.

Reactions: 1 person
Worley has proved he can make the throws. Once he and the WRs get the new system down and come back from injuries they will be fine. You can't really draw good conclusions from the OW game.

I've not seen any proof that Worley can "make the throws". I do have hopes that the quick-read-and-deliver passing game that Butch prefers will suit him, since it looks a bit more like what he did in high school, but so far at least it doesn't seem to be the case. The spring game is obviously just a glorified practice, but I was hoping that I wouldn't see the same Worley I saw in games last year. He looked the same to me.

Because I honestly don't understand the mentality that "if you think the team is going to do better than I do, then you are a sunshine pumper and don't know anything about football". Excuse me for not watching every game with an expected "L" in the game column.

It depends on the attitude of te teams and coaching staff. Attitude is wort at least two games, either wins or losses. Our attitude is reflected by the comments expressed on the boards, radio talk shows and the rest of the media. The more positive our attitude, the more results will be.

Coach Z has even expressed that help is needed at WR. I am sure we will be decent, but I don't expect spectacular just yet.

But of course I hope I am wrong!

I've not seen any proof that Worley can "make the throws". I do have hopes that the quick-read-and-deliver passing game that Butch prefers will suit him, since it looks a bit more like what he did in high school, but so far at least it doesn't seem to be the case. The spring game is obviously just a glorified practice, but I was hoping that I wouldn't see the same Worley I saw in games last year. He looked the same to me.

He made the right decisions in the spring. The receivers, most of whom aren't likely to start, couldn't get free. He recognized running wasn't practical because he was basically playing touch football, and he got rid of the ball rather than taking sacks. He tended to miss via overthrows rather than shortarming the the passes, reducing the likelihood of interceptions. He understands how to play the position and manage the situation. He isn't the wide open passer Bray was, but he should be a solid game manager. I saw enough to lead me to believe he can do the job.

Coach Z has even expressed that help is needed at WR. I am sure we will be decent, but I don't expect spectacular just yet.

But of course I hope I am wrong!

Help is coming in this summer. Jenkins knows what he's coming into and North is an exceptional talent. Smith is a player who could surprise some people like Rogers and Blanc. We should have 11 scholarship receivers, maybe twelve if Jonathan Johnson can qualify. Competition will drive improvement.

I'm thinking the JUCO's will be a big contributing factor in the next few seasons. I'm excited to see Johnson play this season if/when he can get on campus.

Justin Hunter had no problem catching before coming off his ACL injury. That was an anomaly, IMHO. He had good hands as a freshman and sophomore, and only had some lapses in concentration here and there last year.

Haven't heard/read anything about our WR's having trouble catching the ball....but you can continue to have a glass half empty attitude, if that helps you sleep better. :rolleyes:

As good as Justin was his freshman year, he only caught 16 balls the whole year . There is only so much production you can count on from freshmen wr's

We only need a couple of receivers that can catch passes between 10-20 yrs at a time in traffic. We don't "need" a Tyler Bray type of arm or a pre-injury Justin Hunter to be damn good. We just need ppl that can execute quickly and consistently.

Reactions: 2 people
the spring game was skewed in the Defense's favor because the offense only had about 15 plays. (they were picking them off a poster) so the D was reacting quickly because they already knew what routes the WRs were going to run. since there was no contact on the QBs, the D could commit more defenders and did not have to watch for a QB scramble. all of that compounded to make things more difficult for the Offense. once our O has more time to implement the entire scheme, things should look more positive for them. also our o-line was not healthy and neither were a bunch of the WRs.

I think bUTch already has a plan since we have so many WR's now and all have talent.

Run, run and RUN some more until the DB's on the other team are falling out.

We have enough talented WR's now that we could bring in 2 or 3 new WR's for every play and keep our WR's fresh and still run the other teams DB's to death.

We have the speed to do that too and if we keep up the fast pace and RUN those DB's to death we'll get our big shots down the field as well as our shorter yardage plays to keep moving the chains.

I think we're going to see lots of our WR's getting playing time and the more real game experience the better they will become.

I also think we're going to see the CROOMSTER getting playing time at both TE spots and God help a LB trying to cover him.

bUTch ball is going to be fun to watch!

VFL...GBO!!!

Worley didn't have the horrendous spring game some are accusing him of. I saw bad drops and poor route running, which makes perfect sense when you only have a handful of healthy scholarship WRs. Worley got rid of the ball quickly and stood tall against pressure. Some gimmicky plays that probably won't be used much were thrown into the mix too.

As for the wide receivers, I think Jenkins will be an excellent fit but he may be needed at defensive back. North will make plays based on pure athleticism. He wasn't used well as a receiver his senior year, and I think he may be more polished than expected. Harris will come along with additional coaching. Croom is unstoppable when he's on his game. Pig and Devrin will play well in the slot. I think Blanc may become a surprising playmaker at some point. All in all, the receivers will be solid but unspectacular.

Jones offense is much more run oriented than what we experienced with Chaney and Dooley. Neal, Lane (who is reportedly on pace to return next month), and Hill will give us good strong running behind an excellent line.

Tight end will be a mix of pure tight end play and King as an H-back. Downs will get first crack at being the man at tight end, but Woody Quinn could factor in if he displays solid blocking.

All in all, the offense will be okay. Worley is the best option right now at QB but it's possible that one of the freshmen could blow the coaches away. Barring one of the freshmen being exceptional in fall camp, expect it to be Worley backed by Peterman. A first run at the top five receivers would be North, Croom, Harris, Young, and Howard, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Harris or Howard drop out to make room for Jenkins. Neal, Lane, and Hill should split carries 40-35-25 with no particular order on how those are split up between them. We will sink or swim on defense this year because we will only be able to do enough to win on offense, not blow many people out. If the defense forces turnovers and negative plays, I think this offense is capable of capitalizing.

there was a link on here somewhere showing the differences from Kellys offense to CBJs,a lot of curl routes,does that cause hamstring problems ?I think it is going to take some time for the freshmen to pick up the timing on the routes,so I'm leaning more to the receivers with the most practice time,to do well,as it will be with the QBs,there might be some surprises,but i doubt it

I have titled this "Ode of the Delusional Sunshine Pumper".

:bad:

i've debated on this for awhile,i don't like to do it,because i do like to hear both sides of an argument,but you have to go to my ignore list,i think you just started this account to be obnoxious and you have done a fine job

good day sir :hi:

This is one of the reasons I love volnation.

On the one hand, Tyler bray is lazy, had no work ethic, and didn't care. Yet, he was never challenged for his job.

On the other hand, we'll be fine at qb because the people who never pushed a player who didn't care for his job, will have no problems.

On the one hand, Tyler bray is lazy, had no work ethic, and didn't care. Yet, he was never challenged for his job.

On the other hand, we'll be fine at qb because the people who never pushed a player who didn't care for his job, will have no problems.

LOL yes, we can be irrational can't we? but i'm sure that no one on any gator blog would ever say anything irrational as that! :dry:

If I were a gator fan, I would worry about your own QB problems considering Tennessee finished 15th in passing while the Gators were 118th.

Your passing game was ranked worse than our defense.

Let that sink in.

Different players, different systems. Bray is a gunslinger; Worley is a game manager. Worley won't make big plays, but he also won't make big mistakes. Last two years we were looking for big plays in the passing game. This system is built more around the run. The QB just needs to not hurt the team and find a few running yards along the way. That wasn't Bray's game. I don't think Bray was lazy, but you didn't hear much about him putting in extra work either.

Last edited:
there was a link on here somewhere showing the differences from Kellys offense to CBJs,a lot of curl routes,does that cause hamstring problems ?I think it is going to take some time for the freshmen to pick up the timing on the routes,so I'm leaning more to the receivers with the most practice time,to do well,as it will be with the QBs,there might be some surprises,but i doubt it

It does require more planting, so it can cause such problems. I don't think it will be a huge issue. Curl routes aren't overly difficult to run, but Jones also runs a lot of screens. Screens and curls won't demand too much of the young guys. May limit the playbook, but the young guys definitely get their chance.

If I were a gator fan, I would worry about your own QB problems considering Tennessee finished 15th in passing while the Gators were 118th.

Your passing game was ranked worse than our defense.

Let that sink in.

37 points
500+ yards of total offense
Jeff Driskel, SEC player of the week

Let that sink in

VN Store

Back