I was pretty worried about our secondary...

Just a note.

BMo was not "really good" last year.

Yep! I agree with this.

The only thing BMo was good at was surviving burns that would have killed most men.

Want to know what is scary?

BMo was second on the team in tackles.

First Vol to have 2 picks in a game (Akron), since Eric Berry in 2007.

He had 5 interceptions, which was good enough to tie for 8th in the NCAA. One was a pick six versus Georgia.

Both Rivals and Scout ranked him as a 4 star juco prospect.

Most of this done after moving from strong safety to free safety after Randolph (a consensus 3 star) got hurt in the third game of the season. McNeil ended up at strong safety as a true freshman. He was a consensus 4 star high school prospect. His first start coincided with that of Daniel Gray, remember him?

The scary part is this...we've now gone through a spring practice and fall camp and none of the new comers have fared any better than BMo at either FS/SS and if Randolph or McNeil go down, BMo has the experience of playing both positions. His 5 INT's are 5 more than either Randolph or McNeil have...combined.

Reactions: 4 people
As many times as people were frantically running around shouting or putting their hands up to their ears as the ball was being snapped... safe to say the defense will be less painful to watch this year.

May not turn this season into a bowl winning one, but hey, bring on foozball.

Want to know what is scary?

BMo was second on the team in tackles.

First Vol to have 2 picks in a game (Akron), since Eric Berry in 2007.

He had 5 interceptions, which was good enough to tie for 8th in the NCAA. One was a pick six versus Georgia.

Both Rivals and Scout ranked him as a 4 star juco prospect.

Most of this done after moving from strong safety to free safety after Randolph (a consensus 3 star) got hurt in the third game of the season. McNeil ended up at strong safety as a true freshman. He was a consensus 4 star high school prospect. His first start coincided with that of Daniel Gray, remember him?

The scary part is this...we've now gone through a spring practice and fall camp and none of the new comers have fared any better than BMo at either FS/SS and if Randolph or McNeil go down, BMo has the experience of playing both positions. His 5 INT's are 5 more than either Randolph or McNeil have...combined.

Lol. You're really trying to argue this point?

Btw, he was just not named a starter. Guess the coaches did not have all your info.

Reactions: 2 people
Lol. You're really trying to argue this point?

Btw, he was just not named a starter. Guess the coaches did not have all your info.

Actually, you must have missed my point. The scary part is that should Randolph or McNeil go down, we haven't upgraded the roster with players that have beaten out BMo for the second spot on the depth chart at either position.

I think it's incredibly naive to base our ability based on last years defense. Sal's 3-4 was a HUGE part off that problem. A very difficult defense to run that requires key people we didn't have. You take last year and put is in a 4-3 and we would have done better. Also we have more experience and yes even a bit more depth too. We have a intimidating and now leaner and faster big guy up front in DaMac who physically anyway is a Doug Atkins in size, two excellent LB that appear to be healthy, and I do think a much more solid secondary..... I think many people don't really know what we have but are merely opining based on their feelings because of our losses. I don't care who you got unless your rock solid on defense, being kept on the field as much as we were last year without depth is going to look bad. The reality is we have talent and multiple guys likely going to NFL eventually on D, DaMac and AJ if no one else and likely Curt too....I'm just not remotely agreeing that the pessimism is based on any "realism", but rather hurt feelings.

Last edited:
I think it's incredibly naive to base our ability based on last years defense. Sal's 3-4 was a HUGE part off that problem. A very difficult defense to run that requires key people we didn't have. You take last year and put is in a 4-3 and we would have done better. Also we have more experience and yes even a bit more depth too. We have a intimidating and now leaner and faster big guy up front in DaMac who physically anyway is a Doug Atkins in size, two excellent LB that appear to be healthy, and I do think a much more solid secondary..... I think many people don't really know what we have but are merely opining based on their feelings because of our losses. I don't care who you got unless your rock solid on defense, being kept on the field as much as we were last year without depth is going to look bad. The reality is we have talent and multiple guys likely going to NFL eventually on D, DaMac and AJ if no one else and likely Curt too....I'm just not remotely agreeing that the pessimism is based on any "realism", but rather hurt feelings.

I agree with a lot of this. Many players admitted that they didn't understand the scheme.

In addition, we had a revolving door of players and with that comes missed assignments, which makes everybody look worse.

It was exactly like the Clawfense. Worst offense in school history. Kiffin comes in and does a makeover on Crompton and won 7 games with the basically same players.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
It matches for sure. TD after TD agrees with me.

What part of we're running a completely different defense don't you get? The 3-4 was a huge part of our problem and everyone we played knew it? You have NO TD's to compare because we are not running that crap this year.

We had guys out of place and lost in space, all because of that scheme that should only be attempted on a deep defense with people recruited specifically for it. if I didn't know better it was a Bama instigated on purpose sabotage.

It was exactly like the Clawfense. Worst offense in school history. Kiffin comes in and does a makeover on Crompton and won 7 games with the basically the same players.

Good comparison it was the defensive equivalent.

What part of we're running a completely different defense don't you get? The 3-4 was a huge part of our problem and everyone we played knew it? You have NO TD's to compare because we are not running that crap this year.

We had guys out of place and lost in space, all because of that scheme that should only be attempted on a deep defense with people recruited specifically for it. if I didn't know better it was a Bama instigated on purpose sabotage.

He was terrible last year. To argue otherwise is nonsense.
Reasons are irrelevant. Last year he was terrible. He has this year to do something different.

How is that possible...we haven't played ONE **** GAME YET. What do you want...the best pre-season camp every in the history of UT? :banghead2:

I'm not saying it isn't/hasn't happened. I just haven't seen it.

I love Coach Jones the work he's put in, and I love the work the players have put in. I feel great about where our program is, and where it's going.

When we play a game, and when I see things have actually turned the corner, then I'll feel good. Until then, I'm afraid of getting my heart broken again.

Reactions: 4 people
Good comparison it was the defensive equivalent.

That team had a lot of talent and we should have won more than 7 games with a competent coach not to mention that embarrassment in Atlanta. That team had 3 great players in Berry, Hardesty, and D Moore. People always point to Kiffin's lone year and talk about the drastic improvements UT made in one year. While that may be true, the bigger disappointment rests in Fulmer's last year under Clawson. That was a horrible waste of talent.

Assuming an injury at cornerback, who do you guys feel is most adept to coming in and performing at a serviceable level for Cam or Justin?

Reasons are irrelevant. Last year he was terrible. He has this year to do something different.

Tell me specifically why you think that? He was phenomenal in Georgia game....INt for TD, 6 tackles as well....

To say he was terrible without giving a reason or stats is nonsense.

I'm not saying he's Eric Berry, but under the circumstances...He had more tackles than Herman Lathers, counting assisted tackles he had 56 more than Curt Maggitt...56!

The TEAM had 12 INT's, 5 of which were his.

Up front big Dan, Smith, Maggitt, Couch, Sentimore, etc. accounted for a paltry 17 sacks. UGA had 32 sacks, Alabama had 35 sacks, South Carolina had 43 sacks.

Only one player for Alabama had 5 INT's, no one for UGA had more than 4, nobody for SC had more than 3.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back