I was pretty worried about our secondary...

I'm not saying he's Eric Berry, but under the circumstances...He had more tackles than Herman Lathers, counting assisted tackles he had 56 more than Curt Maggitt...56!

The TEAM had 12 INT's, 5 of which were his.

Up front big Dan, Smith, Maggitt, Couch, Sentimore, etc. accounted for a paltry 17 sacks. UGA had 32 sacks, Alabama had 35 sacks, South Carolina had 43 sacks.

Only one player for Alabama had 5 INT's, no one for UGA had more than 4, nobody for SC had more than 3.
:good!:
Wow a response that includes facts instead of based on whiny opinion. Looky there.

Reactions: 2 people
I think it's incredibly naive to base our ability based on last years defense. Sal's 3-4 was a HUGE part off that problem. A very difficult defense to run that requires key people we didn't have. You take last year and put is in a 4-3 and we would have done better. Also we have more experience and yes even a bit more depth too. We have a intimidating and now leaner and faster big guy up front in DaMac who physically anyway is a Doug Atkins in size, two excellent LB that appear to be healthy, and I do think a much more solid secondary..... I think many people don't really know what we have but are merely opining based on their feelings because of our losses. I don't care who you got unless your rock solid on defense, being kept on the field as much as we were last year without depth is going to look bad. The reality is we have talent and multiple guys likely going to NFL eventually on D, DaMac and AJ if no one else and likely Curt too....I'm just not remotely agreeing that the pessimism is based on any "realism", but rather hurt feelings.
I agree. Like most things UT the last several years we have smatterings of talent all through the lineup we just have no idea how it all works together and won't until they play. We will be plagued with the issue of inconsistent depth and experience for at least 2 more years.
The bright side is I have full faith Butch has unified them as a team and coached them up and will put them in the best possible position to do well. The opposite of what they were given last year. How far they take it is anyone's guess.

Reactions: 1 person
I think the (fist up) D of 117 will be equal or greater than Wilcox's second squad. Which wasn't overall a bad group. We had little offense that year also which hurt them and frankly is my bigger fear for this year. We need to find playmakers fast on the offensive side of the ball. We didn't just lose the eggs in that basket this NFL draft we lost the whole basket.

That team had a lot of talent and we should have won more than 7 games with a competent coach not to mention that embarrassment in Atlanta. That team had 3 great players in Berry, Hardesty, and D Moore. People always point to Kiffin's lone year and talk about the drastic improvements UT made in one year. While that may be true, the bigger disappointment rests in Fulmer's last year under Clawson. That was a horrible waste of talent.

First, I dislike Kiffin. I disliked the hire from the get go.

In 2008, with Arian Foster gaining 570 yards, 1 TD...Lennon Creer gaining 388, 4 TD's...Montario Hardesty gaining 271, 6TD's...

Crompton passing at a 51. 5 %, 5 INT's/4 TD's it's no wonder that people looked at the Kiffin year as a "drastic improvement".

In 2009 Hardesty would rush for 1413 yards and 13 TD's...Crompton would throw for 2800 yards 27, TD's and 13 INT's

Foster, Berry, Hardesty, Stocker, Bryce Brown, Denarious Moore, Tauren Poole, maybe a few others would eventually go pro.

I'm not arguing that the last year under Fulmer and the "Clawfense" was a waste of talent...I'm saying that last year's defense, the players.... are probably not as bad as they looked.

Last edited:
our 1's wont be the issue its the people stepping up behind them that may cause us problems

I agree. The years of attrition have taken a toll in terms of depth. One example, running back. Wouldn't it be nice to have Borque and/or Watson in competition with Lane, Neal, Hill and Smith? It's across the board.

I'm not saying he's Eric Berry, but under the circumstances...He had more tackles than Herman Lathers, counting assisted tackles he had 56 more than Curt Maggitt...56!

The TEAM had 12 INT's, 5 of which were his.

Up front big Dan, Smith, Maggitt, Couch, Sentimore, etc. accounted for a paltry 17 sacks. UGA had 32 sacks, Alabama had 35 sacks, South Carolina had 43 sacks.

Only one player for Alabama had 5 INT's, no one for UGA had more than 4, nobody for SC had more than 3.

all that and a new coaching staff determined the best place for him was sitting on the bench.

the stats are meaningless here.

at some point, you have to watch the game and pay attention to what's going on.

so, i'll throw some stats at you. byron moore had more interceptions and tackles last season than matt elam.

which guy is the better football player?

if that doesn't do it for you....

last season byron moore had more tackles and interceptions than eric berry when eric berry won the thorpe award.

Reactions: 2 people
all that and a new coaching staff determined the best place for him was sitting on the bench.

the stats are meaningless here.

at some point, you have to watch the game and pay attention to what's going on.

so, i'll throw some stats at you. byron moore had more interceptions and tackles last season than matt elam.

if that doesn't do it for you....

last season byron moore had more tackles and interceptions than eric berry when eric berry won the thorpe award.

I'm not under any illusions. Moore changed positions when Randolph got hurt. Eric Berry gave Randolph a glowing review I believe, before heading to the NFL. When he slid over to SS, McNeil came in as FS and has apparently taken Moore's job.

I don't know enough about Matt Elam to compare the two, but maybe you can tell me how many defensive schemes he's had to adjust to, position coaches, etc...

As I said, and Moore is just one player, fwiw, I think this about Coleman, Orta, Lanier(when he was here)...we don't know much about a lot of the defensive players from last year because it's hard to believe that the system and the coaching didn't play a huge part.

Did anyone predict Arian Foster would make the Pro Bowl during Clawson's year?

edit: it was Janzen Jackson that got the EB stamp of approvel, not Randolph, apologies.

lol... I looked up Mr. Elam on the University of Florida website. Dude was ranked as the #1 HS safety, a 5 * and the 10th best over all prospect in the nation. So, I guess you are saying he lived up to his billing.

99gator - In terms of SEC stats, UF was either first or second in every meaningful defensive statistical category. We were last, or next to last.

UF has the good fortune of not playing Alabama in the regular season this year or last.

UF also has the good fortune to play Fla. St. with Sunseri as a DE coach and not as a Coordinator.

While I realize UF sits on a giant talent pool and we do not, it's hard to believe we don't have some guys that can play.

Sunseri joins Florida State after serving as the defensive coordinator at Tennessee in 2012. With the Vols, Sunseri coached two of the nation's top defensive players. Linebacker A.J. Johnson was fourth in the nation and led the SEC averaging 11.5 tackles per game. Cornerback Byron Moore was tied for 11th in the nation in interceptions and he led the Southeastern Conference in that category.

The larger point keeps getting lost, we had an inexperienced DC working for an unqualified head coach. The whole program was in shambles.

Programs that finish #1 or #2 in every SEC defensive category have no business losing to Louisville.

What part of we're running a completely different defense don't you get? The 3-4 was a huge part of our problem and everyone we played knew it? You have NO TD's to compare because we are not running that crap this year.

We had guys out of place and lost in space, all because of that scheme that should only be attempted on a deep defense with people recruited specifically for it. if I didn't know better it was a Bama instigated on purpose sabotage.

I don't know better either way. But, if I'm Obama, then I would do it. Best money ever spent.

I'm really impressed on what i'm hearing and have seen from Cam Sutton... I believe he brings promise for the future in our secondary... I was watching a practice video and he was locking guys down... Cam Suttonn was also the first guy to get his stripe taking off by Randolph... I'm also impressed with Mcneil and his phsicality that he brings to the strong safety position that B.Moore didn't have... I also think B.Moore will have good significant playing time and our secondary is not going to be very weak when he comes in to relieve either safety!!! These guys work hard and grind every day and competition is always good for the team. I find it very hard to believe that our secondary won't be better than last years!!!!!

VG, I just dropped your negavol certificate in the mail. I'll be in touch about our meeting schedule.

He was terrible last year. To argue otherwise is nonsense.
Reasons are irrelevant. Last year he was terrible. He has this year to do something different.

Everyone was terrible then last year, even out best player, AJ, had some runs in the middle that went right by him for long TD's.
BMo was out of position for all of those long plays, but why don't we look at some positives for him. He is pretty quick and his 5 INTs( one for a TD) proves that he has good hands/ awareness. IF properly coached he is a better 3rd man at the safety position then most teams have.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back