Idiots Buck, Aikman mock flyover

Ehh, debatable. I'm not convinced Aikman even knows that much about his own profession.
Probably more so than anyone posting in this forum, but maybe not so much compared to others with his experience. Romo is much better and was so from day 1, even after Aikman had been doing it for years

There is actually a whole logistics Jenga puzzle on this. Aircraft have finite lifetimes before they are either replaced or remanufactured. And when they are reman’ed it’s normally a SLEP or service life extension program which doesn’t zero time it to its original build configuration but rather it zero times it to a new equipment “block” baseline.

So the Jenga puzzle is wear out rate of a lower number of aircraft vs lower utilization rate of a higher fleet size. And yes the aircraft people manipulate the Jenga puzzle to maximize their profit. It’s on government oversight to protect their interests. Good luck with that they’re bringing a knife to an RPG fight.

I work in the industry and I’ll categorically state we spend too much and should spend less. However I also know enough to see that it’s not as simple as “just buy 30% less aircraft”.

From the perspective of an admitted layman, it seems that the entire industrial military complex is bloated by about 3-5x what’s actually necessary. I have personal anecdotes, but I’m sure you know enough to determine the validity of this assumption without them.

Probably more so than anyone posting in this forum, but maybe not so much compared to others with his experience. Romo is much better and was so from day 1, even after Aikman had been doing it for years
Troy has no personality he’s the definition of a stiff corpse talking. But he knows the game he just doesn’t articulate it well.

Tony came out of the gate knowledgeable and actually has a personality. More like a Gruden or Madden. And he’s frankly much better at articulating his points than Troy.

I’m a Cowboys fan and followed the careers of both of these guys before and after playing. I was amazed at how well and quickly Tony took to commentary he’s going to be doing it for a long time and could become one of the greats before he’s done. Troy will just be an average commentary person.

Buck needs to stick to baseball. That is all.

From the perspective of an admitted layman, it seems that the entire industrial military complex is bloated by about 3-5x what’s actually necessary. I have personal anecdotes, but I’m sure you know enough to determine the validity of this assumption without them.
Nope you’re mostly right. And sadly it’s exactly what the DoD oversight wants. As a tax payer it pisses me off seeing the inefficiencies of the DoD procurement process. Most of us want to provide a quality product at a competitive price and are committed to the end user. I take immense pride in the product of my efforts and have interacted with a huge number of military personnel over the years via test activities and various design reviews and meetings/conferences.

But... your government must protect you from that scumbag contractor that is out to rip off the country and make a quick buck and risk the lives of the warfighter! Thus we NEED mounds of regulations and DCMA (Defense Contracts Management Agency?) oversight it’s for the best! The effectiveness of all those DCMA auditors is another topic...

After 30 years in this business $500 hammers make complete sense to me. It’s exactly what the system is setup to produce and was purposefully done.

Troy has no personality he’s the definition of a stiff corpse talking. But he knows the game he just doesn’t articulate it well.

Tony came out of the gate knowledgeable and actually has a personality. More like a Gruden or Madden. And he’s frankly much better at articulating his points than Troy.

I’m a Cowboys fan and followed the careers of both of these guys before and after playing. I was amazed at how well and quickly Tony took to commentary he’s going to be doing it for a long time and could become one of the greats before he’s done. Troy will just be an average commentary person.

Agreed. It's amazing how good Romo was right out of the box at commentating - it's like he'd been doing it for years. I think he's as good at it as he is because he genuinely seems to enjoy doing it, and he makes little comments here and there that a fan of the game would make, except he also is able to weave expert commentary into it.

Agreed. It's amazing how good Romo was right out of the box at commentating - it's like he'd been doing it for years. I think he's as good at it as he is because he genuinely seems to enjoy doing it, and he makes little comments here and there that a fan of the game would make, except he also is able to weave expert commentary into it.
How many times have you heard Tony say “ok in this formation watch here is their play” and boom it’s exactly what happens. Still reading the alignments accurately after not playing for several years. That’s just talent

Reactions: Orangeburst
Nope you’re mostly right. And sadly it’s exactly what the DoD oversight wants. As a tax payer it pisses me off seeing the inefficiencies of the DoD procurement process. Most of us want to provide a quality product at a competitive price and are committed to the end user. I take immense pride in the product of my efforts and have interacted with a huge number of military personnel over the years via test activities and various design reviews and meetings/conferences.

But... your government must protect you from that scumbag contractor that is out to rip off the country and make a quick buck and risk the lives of the warfighter! Thus we NEED mounds of regulations and DCMA (Defense Contracts Management Agency?) oversight it’s for the best! The effectiveness of all those DCMA auditors is another topic...

After 30 years in this business $500 hammers make complete sense to me. It’s exactly what the system is setup to produce and was purposefully done.
This man tried to tell us...
B1D1AB82-DFD9-47F7-80EF-57E71DA6A69E.jpeg

How many times have you heard Tony say “ok in this formation watch here is their play” and boom it’s exactly what happens. Still reading the alignments accurately after not playing for several years. That’s just talent
The game definitely changes over time, but he's not all that far removed from his playing days. I'd say he also probably still watches a bunch of film too.

This man tried to tell us...
View attachment 316244
Eh I’d like to see the context of that quote to get the full meaning.

We need an appropriately sized military to execute the missions they are tasked by the CiC and DoD and that’s all we need. No argument. But the term “appropriately” has been abused over the years for sure. Our country went from backwards in the military capability sense in the early 1900’s to an oversized juggernaut bloated beyond reasonable size by the end of the century. But... it also fought two world wars in that time in which it got caught flat footed on from a preparedness standpoint.

I can understand how our military and associated spending got as large as it is currently but that doesn’t mean I agree with it not by a long shot.

I think that's part of the problem. There wasn't a whole lot of sophistication to QB in his days. He was exactly what the Cowboys needed him to be. They kept the reads easy. His arm and Irving's speed kept the D honest, and then the Cowboys just ran it down everybody's throats. Being able to make all the throws mattered a lot back then, and Aikman could make every throw. But he was reading one defender and then making a decision. It's so much more cerebral now, and Romo gets it more than most QB's, and he also has a talent for relating* his knowledge to the public. He's already my favorite commentator ever in any sport.

*Witten knew it all, but he was up there doing Adam Sandler's excited southerner impression

We need an appropriately sized military to execute the missions they are tasked by the CiC and DoD and that’s all we need. No argument. But the term “appropriately” has been abused over the years for sure. Our country went from backwards in the military capability sense in the early 1900’s to an oversized juggernaut bloated beyond reasonable size by the end of the century. But... it also fought two world wars in that time in which it got flat footed on from a preparedness standpoint.

I can understand how our military and associated spending got as large as it is currently but that doesn’t mean I agree with it not by a long shot.

What pisses me off is the money we pay defense contractors for R&D, we shouldn't be doing that. DOD should put out a spec, we want a plane/tank/truck ext that can do x,y,z the company that builds that machine gets the contract.

We need an appropriately sized military to execute the missions they are tasked by the CiC and DoD and that’s all we need. No argument. But the term “appropriately” has been abused over the years for sure. Our country went from backwards in the military capability sense in the early 1900’s to an oversized juggernaut bloated beyond reasonable size by the end of the century. But... it also fought two world wars in that time in which it got caught flat footed on from a preparedness standpoint.

Agreed, we were not really prepared until the ‘40s, but after that we understood what was necessary. Along with that, though, a lot of people understood the prospect of the profitability of war. Since that time we’ve engaged in an endless series of unnecessary conflicts and exponential bloating of the industry.

What pisses me off is the money we pay defense contractors for R&D, we shouldn't be doing that. DOD should put out a spec, we want a plane/tank/truck ext that can do x,y,z the company that builds that machine gets the contract.
But there's no opportunity for grift that way, which is ultimately what "they" want and what the system was designed for. What you're talking about would be described in other industries, or if done by the governments of other countries, or if the mob was doing it as skimming or a kickback. Our system of bribery - er, I mean lobbying, is extremely institutionalized and sophisticated.

If you have that large of a pool of money that is going to be doled out by bureaucrats via a political process (as opposed to it being spent in more of a free market or competitive environment), it is going to attract swindlers.

Well, I mean Eisenhower would know...he was instrumental in setting the MIC up himself.
And was in command of the largest theater military machine we’ve ever fielded.

But I’ll be the first to admit do we really NEED a machine that big anymore.

It’s a tough balancing act. DoD R&D is funded by the government it doesn’t happen without it. But most contractors make money not by doing research but in building product. We don’t make money designing stuff we make money producing and maintaining stuff. But we also have to keep the R&D side churning to keep that assembly line full with new toys of mass destruction.

Honestly the worst thing I think that ever happened were the mass mergers. Instead of 20 to 30 smaller agile contractors you’ve got about 5 lethargic slovenly blobs with no ability to react. And I’m convinced that’s exactly how our lazy ass government wants it less entities for them to deal with. Not to mention the inbreeding on the boards of the companies after service retirement. *sigh* I’m jaded I guess 🤷‍♂️

Agreed, we were not really prepared until the ‘40s, but after that we understood what was necessary. Along with that, though, a lot of people understood the prospect of the profitability of war. Since that time we’ve engaged in an endless series of unnecessary conflicts and exponential bloating of the industry.
Completely agree

Reactions: OHvol40
That’s just it. The DoD procurement model doesn’t allow it. Think about it there is only one customer for everybody to sell their new car to and that customer won’t let you sell your losing car to somebody else. So there is no way you spend your money to design a car for them. Everybody agrees that the customer will pay the R&D. Again it’s setup to be inefficient on purpose 🤷‍♂️

Romo is enthused, breaks the plays down terrific, and makes the game fun. What the legends did.
When I arrived in Tyler TX in 1996 I partook a few beers with some locals and I was surprised by the comments about Aikman even at that time. Quite derogatory in personal nature.

Romo is enthused, breaks the plays down terrific, and makes the game fun. What the legends did.
When I arrived in Tyler TX in 1996 I partook a few beers with some locals and I was surprised by the comments about Aikman even at that time. Quite derogatory in personal nature.
He’s always had a deer in the headlights look about him. He was just surrounded by so much damn talent it didn’t matter. He was a solid game manager and did hit the receivers he had to hit. Irvin doesn’t make those TD’s if he doesn’t get the ball. During those years we were just so loaded with talent and I’d guess we never get back to that level again in my time 😥

Reactions: Orangeburst
Why is it that some people needed to have a patriotic circle jerk before watching a game?

I actually agree with u in some aspect. But it is one uniting factor, supposedly, between two competitors that on a higher scale signifies we are on the same team. Guess not though.

I actually agree with u in some aspect. But it is one uniting factor, supposedly, between two competitors that on a higher scale signifies we are on the same team. Guess not though.
Meh, I understand that sentiment. But you can't have it both ways. On the one hand, you can't politicize the opening of a meaningless game on Sunday but then get bent out of shape when someone with an opposing view politicizes the same event.

I think neither side should have a voice before a damn football game. I've got money on these games. Just play the game and get on with it. No need for propaganda on either side.

VN Store

Back