If Kiffin had stayed.

We probably would've been NCAA sanctioned into oblivion.

At the time, Kiffin was a terrible cultural fit here. He lacked emotional intelligence, he was very unaccomadating to the media and public in general, he recruited some HIGHLY questionable players, plus, other than his dad, I don't think he would have retained staff very well. At the time, I think abruptly losing Kiffin was a blessing in disguise. We just didn't have the proper leadership to handle the situation correctly.
This is the other likely scenario. Either tons of crazy amounts of winning, or couldn't get out of his own way.

I've never seen a buzz on the Hill compared to when he was here. Ever. Not even close.

Rest his soul, because he passed away and it is sad and I believe he was a great person with a big heart, but Mike Hamilton mishandled the entire athletic program. Great guy, awful administrator. The contracts favored only the coaches with ZERO protections for the University, none. He was not a good negotiator and ran a very disorganized department. I saw it first hand.

I've never seen a buzz on the Hill compared to when he was here. Ever. Not even close.

Looking back on it now, I think a lot of that was simply because Kiffin was so Fulmer adjacent. I won't lie, part of the reason I was in favor of the Fulmer firing was because after 17 years, I was sick of looking at him. I was tired of predictable offensive play calling that produced "loss of 3" results and punts over and over and having to watch him clap as the offense meandered its way back to the sideline. I think fans wanted the direct opposite of Fulmer in everything from offensive philosophy to personality.

I am curious. Why would a topic like this become such an important thought that you felt an impulse to post it two weeks or so from the start of what could be an incredible year under our CURRENT head coach?
Mainly because of all the hype Ole Miss is getting. If they are as good as everyone thinks he would have been like Kirby here.

Before some of you jackhammers start with he didn't star or grow up or move on or all the other violations slams, would we be more similar to Georgia or Ole Miss?
He had a lot of growing up to do from the time he left here and where he is now. I don't know if he'd be as good of a coach if he had stayed. No telling how long he would have made it.

1. Kiffen never goes to Bama and they are short two titles
2. kiffin isn't that good at beating winning teams which makes him a diluted Mark Richt and we stick with him for about 8 years after which he is fired
3. Butch Jones keeps winning at Cincinnati which makes him the next candidate for LSU in 2016
4. After we fire kiffin, we hire a hot name at the time like Charlie Strong or Tom Herman
5. Those guys flame out so we hire Matt Campbell since he likes our stability
6. During this entire time, Butch has built a dynasty at LSU and wins four consecutive natties with Pruitt as his DC
7. Butch marries pole assassin
8. LSU is destroyed
9. Texas is finally back
10. Matt Campbell is fired
11. We hire Heupel

2009 Kiffin would have flamed out had he stayed. 2023 Kiffin would have us competing for 12 team playoff in future years.

The NCAA was already looking at Pearl. Kiffin's recruiting would have received extreme scrutiny, especially if Bama saw him as a threat

The death penalty, no, but the fact Pearl was under the microscope as well would have multiplied any issues....
What violations did Kiffin commit? I recall a smoke machine being used. And there was the hostess contact thing (which, come to find out, everyone was doing).

The “Kiffin was breaking all the rules” narrative was blown WAY out of proportion. Granted, it was partly his fault because he subscribed to the “any publicity is good publicity” theory, but on a substantive level, no one has shown any evidence that substantial violations occurred.

What violations did Kiffin commit? I recall a smoke machine being used. And there was the hostess contact thing (which, come to find out, everyone was doing).

The “Kiffin was breaking all the rules” narrative was blown WAY out of proportion. Granted, it was partly his fault because he subscribed to the “any publicity is good publicity” theory, but on a substantive level, no one has shown any evidence that substantial violations occurred.

Everyone cheats. The issue would have been the NCAA would have gone to the ends of the earth to find violations, especially if they were already investigating Pearl....

If he had stayed, the NCAA would have dug in deeper on the Reggie Bush connection too and got him/Orgeron based on that.

See what they (i.e., the Bama grads working for the NCAA) did to Ole Miss for Hugh Freeze.

Multiply that by 10 since we ticked off UK basketball (i.e Cal getting his biggest competition gone), Ohio State, and Alabama football.

Had Land stayed it would be somewhat miraculous if he was still here...this would be what 16 or 17th season? That's longer than Johnny and maybe about the same as Phil.

Everyone cheats. The issue would have been the NCAA would have gone to the ends of the earth to find violations, especially if they were already investigating Pearl....

If he had stayed, the NCAA would have dug in deeper on the Reggie Bush connection too and got him/Orgeron based on that.

See what they (i.e., the Bama grads working for the NCAA) did to Ole Miss for Hugh Freeze.

Multiply that by 10 since we ticked off UK basketball (i.e Cal getting his biggest competition gone), Ohio State, and Alabama football.
He had nothing to do with Reggie Bush. I don't know what would have happened if he stayed, but I do know the least likely would be that we had some type of probation. He hasn't gotten anyone else in trouble. I've never figured out how so many guys need to speculate so wildly about it
Worst thing UT did was make Fulmer AD. That led directly to serious NCAA trouble

Last edited:
More like Ole Miss? What exactly is better about that program than ours? He hasn’t won jack squat there.
My grandson is a QB and practiced this Spring and is again this Fall at Ole Miss.
He tells me Kiffin is an offensive master and all the players really like him. Their team is really hyped up for the season. I still do not want he to ever coach Tennessee again, but he is now winning a lot of games.

He had nothing to do with Reggie Bush. I don't know what would have happened if he stayed, but I do know the least likely would be that we had some type of probation. He hasn't gotten anyone else in trouble. I've never figured out how so many guys need to speculate so wildly about it
Worst thing UT did was make Fulmer AD. That led directly to serious NCAA trouble

Todd McNair, who reported to Kiffin, was the fall guy. Does that change if Kiffin became a threat to Alabama. Remember Memphis got busted because "they should have known" Derrick Rose had a bad test score in this same timeframe. Does the AA apply that same logic to Kiffin? Once the AA assigned Bama grads to investigate and supervise the Freeze investigation, I know there's very little they wont do to get their way (The string of NCAA court losses backs up this belief)...

Every major program cheated back then. You only caught if you

a. You ticked off a Bama, OSU, etc enough to warrant a NCAA investigation. See Hugh Freeze and Bruce Pearl

b. You were stupid. See Pruitt

c. The school wants a reason to fire you to save on a buyout. See Pruitt.

Todd McNair, who reported to Kiffin, was the fall guy. Does that change if Kiffin became a threat to Alabama. Remember Memphis got busted because "they should have known" Derrick Rose had a bad test score in this same timeframe. Does the AA apply that same logic to Kiffin? Once the AA assigned Bama grads to investigate and supervise the Freeze investigation, I know there's very little they wont do to get their way (The string of NCAA court losses backs up this belief)...

Every major program cheated back then. You only caught if you

a. You ticked off a Bama, OSU, etc enough to warrant a NCAA investigation. See Hugh Freeze and Bruce Pearl

b. You were stupid. See Pruitt

c. The school wants a reason to fire you to save on a buyout. See Pruitt.
The allegations that got McNair redlit occurred on Pete Carroll’s watch.

VN Store

Back