If Kiffin had stayed.

The allegations that got McNair redlit occurred on Pete Carroll’s watch.

Absolutely. But Carroll had already bolted. You find the next person who the AA thinks "should have known". The "should have known" was the standard for the AA at that time until plausible deniability became the standard. Again, I am speculating but the AA has given us enough reason to be jaded.

Im just saying the AA at that time did whatever it wanted for their cash cows. See UNC and Kansas basketball. The worse thing about an AA investigation isnt the penalties but the uncertainty.

They have a long record of getting stuff overturned but after 3-5 yrs of uncertainty, the damage is done

On the other hand…

In the off season, Kiffin would be arrested for having carnal knowledge of an underaged girl who had been dosed with a date rape drug. The girl was on campus visiting her sister who happened to be among Kiffin’s squad of undergraduate coeds. Did Kiffin dose her? Did one of the squad dose her? Did an incel who despised Kiffin and his squad dose her?

Who had administered the drug may never be solved, but the solid evidence and eye-witness testimony would have Kiffin cold on the sexual acts. His attorneys would cut a deal to minimize jail time in a minimum security prison and get him favorable probation terms, but he would wind up on the registry.

Layla would divorce him. UT would hire Butch Jones.

Last edited:
Everyone cheats. The issue would have been the NCAA would have gone to the ends of the earth to find violations, especially if they were already investigating Pearl....

If he had stayed, the NCAA would have dug in deeper on the Reggie Bush connection too and got him/Orgeron based on that.

See what they (i.e., the Bama grads working for the NCAA) did to Ole Miss for Hugh Freeze.

Multiply that by 10 since we ticked off UK basketball (i.e Cal getting his biggest competition gone), Ohio State, and Alabama football.
Oh. So conspiracy theories.

I guess this is a thread about speculation though.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Absolutely. But Carroll had already bolted. You find the next person who the AA thinks "should have known". The "should have known" was the standard for the AA at that time until plausible deniability became the standard. Again, I am speculating but the AA has given us enough reason to be jaded.

Im just saying the AA at that time did whatever it wanted for their cash cows. See UNC and Kansas basketball. The worse thing about an AA investigation isnt the penalties but the uncertainty.

They have a long record of getting stuff overturned but after 3-5 yrs of uncertainty, the damage is done
That all may be true, but the Pearl reference is inappropriate in this context. Pearl lied to the AA, asked others to lie, then lied again. If he would have admitted breaking the rule in the beginning, it wouldn't have amounted to much more than a slap on the wrist

Kiffin is a good coach. If the NCAA didn't ass blast us into oblivion we would have been just fine. And that's a big if. I do think that stint at Bama was a defining moment for his career so it's hard to hypothetical around that.

Also, we are less than three weeks from gameday. This is a February thread if there's ever been one. Y'all need to lock in.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Nothing to say here as stated in Shirley's post above. Its a question that cannot be answered except with opinions and speculation.
I think we can safely say our team character coefficient would be considerably lower. Sleaze begets sleaze!

My litmus test, would DW consider a guy as a candidate for an opening. I think NOT!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Oh. So conspiracy theories.

I guess this is a thread about speculation though.

Here are the conspiracy theories

1. I dont have the belief that every player at every program is 100% clean and 100% of boosters are clean.

2. Look at what the AA actually nailed Ole Miss on. It was stuff way down in the weeds. They gave unprecedented immunity to other schools and players. Once again, facts.

3. Bama grads actually led the Freeze investigation. You can imply from that what you may.

4. How many times with its limited resources has the NCAA with initiated a full blown investigation over a secondary, minor whistleblower allegation? How many times when Ohio State wasn't the whistleblower?

Here are the conspiracy theories

1. I dont have the belief that every player at every program is 100% clean and 100% of boosters are clean.

2. Look at what the AA actually nailed Ole Miss on. It was stuff way down in the weeds. They gave unprecedented immunity to other schools and players. Once again, facts.

3. Bama grads actually led the Freeze investigation. You can imply from that what you may.

4. How many times with its limited resources has the NCAA with initiated a full blown investigation over a secondary, minor whistleblower allegation? How many times when Ohio State wasn't the whistleblower?
And I'm sure you know who the whistleblower was when Alabama got nailed😉

That all may be true, but the Pearl reference is inappropriate in this context. Pearl lied to the AA, asked others to lie, then lied again. If he would have admitted breaking the rule in the beginning, it wouldn't have amounted to much more than a slap on the wrist

Agree on Pearl. Pearl screwed Pearl but it doesnt even get to that point if 350 other D1 schools had brought it up....

Agree on Pearl. Pearl screwed Pearl but it doesnt even get to that point if 350 other D1 schools had brought it up....
What you're not getting is that 350 other schools weren't recruiting Aaron Craft. Craft told the OSU coach about his visit to UT. Matta turned Pearl in because Pearl had played snake as an assistant at Iowa. Much more details to that issue than a general conspiracy theory

Reactions: #1fulmerite
Mainly because of all the hype Ole Miss is getting. If they are as good as everyone thinks he would have been like Kirby here.
What has he won since being a football coach? Multiple goof of the year awards. If you haven't noticed, the team you supposedly support since you are on the site is a subject of a substantial amount of hype as well. And that is with our CURRENT coach that brings a whole different brand of culture to this program. Strange time to dredge up a well pulverized equine topic. SMH

Reactions: Behr and VFL-82-JP
We probably would've been NCAA sanctioned into oblivion.

At the time, Kiffin was a terrible cultural fit here. He lacked emotional intelligence, he was very unaccomadating to the media and public in general, he recruited some HIGHLY questionable players, plus, other than his dad, I don't think he would have retained staff very well. At the time, I think abruptly losing Kiffin was a blessing in disguise. We just didn't have the proper leadership to handle the situation correctly.

I get that he could have flamed out, but I don’t see how it could have been worse than what ultimately happened the next 12 years to us anyways…

VN Store

Back