If Tennessee goes 8-4 will Butch Jones be named SEC Coach of the Year?

It would more than likely be Hugh Freeze if Ole Miss gets in the hunt and makes some noise in the west.

I don't understand all of the downplaying of the Vols this next season. Seems some posters still believe that Dools is here and that it was just bad players last season. Did you forget that the roster is filled with top 20 recruiting class players? The players did let down some after repeated losses, but they had no chance to succeed with the defensive scheme of Dools/Sunseri and with Dools inability to manage a game, a roster and motivate players. The S&C program produced size, but no explosivenss except with those that were naturally fast.

All that has changed with Jones & staff. Add in that we have the most proven, talented O-line in the SEC with the most experienced front 7 on D - I simply don't get the low expectations. The game is won and lost in the trenches. Control the ball and minimal turnovers on O. Stop the run, contain the passing with zone, and create turnovers on D.

:dry:

Attachments

• oddballkellysheroes2T1.jpg
    oddballkellysheroes2T1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: 1 person
they usually just give it to Saban or the team with the best record... right? would love to see 8-4 with a bowl win over a ranked team

There's a big difference in possible and probable.

This. All the folks saying that 8-4 is impossible are being ridiculous. It is improbable. That said, some improbable things are going to have to happen if UT is ever going to get to the top of the SEC again.

But, why all the talk of Coach of the Year awards? Who cares? Didn't Sylvester Croom win SEC Coach of the Year a few years back?

It would more than likely be Hugh Freeze if Ole Miss gets in the hunt and makes some noise in the west.

I don't understand all of the downplaying of the Vols this next season. Seems some posters still believe that Dools is here and that it was just bad players last season. Did you forget that the roster is filled with top 20 recruiting class players? The players did let down some after repeated losses, but they had no chance to succeed with the defensive scheme of Dools/Sunseri and with Dools inability to manage a game, a roster and motivate players. The S&C program produced size, but no explosivenss except with those that were naturally fast.

All that has changed with Jones & staff. Add in that we have the most proven, talented O-line in the SEC with the most experienced front 7 on D - I simply don't get the low expectations. The game is won and lost in the trenches. Control the ball and minimal turnovers on O. Stop the run, contain the passing with zone, and create turnovers on D.

Wait, doesn't Bama run the same D?

8-4 should get him National Coach of the Year, IMO. Whoever made this schedule did us no favors. It doesn't get better next year. A trip to Oklahoma will not be much better.

Someone on another thread said that UT should beat UGA and USCe with "this roster". Serious question; is the roster a good one? I don't believe that Rivals keeps such rankings (I usually go by pre-season, etc. rankings anyway). I know that QB is a position in question. What does the rest of the roster look like?

No. We have a great offensive line and linebackers. The QB position is a huge question. WR is weak with raw talent, RB are below SEC average, secondary has some talent but was one of the worst in UT history last year, kickers have been head cases, and D-line is a big question mark with some good talent mixed in.

Lots of question marks and hoping for some pleasant surprises.

This post is exactly correct except for qb play. That has to be considered but return of some injured wr's should assist.

I have a feeling with the low expectations attached to Tennessee in 2013,8-4 would probably get Butch Jones SECCY. What do y'all think?

It's tough to say without seeing the other coaching performances. But, if UT goes 8-4 I will be surprised and ge would certainly get, at least, a share of my vote.

Hope is eternal,especially this time of year. I almost lost hope for the Tennessee program the last two seasons. Butch has gotten Me charged up for the first time since 2009.
That's fine. But the great recruiting class that is generating hope will all be playing in highschool for 2013.
6-6 would even require some good fortune. Anything better coach of the year.

VN Store

Back