If Tennessee goes 8-4 will Butch Jones be named SEC Coach of the Year?

No. We have a great offensive line and linebackers. The QB position is a huge question. WR is weak with raw talent, RB are below SEC average, secondary has some talent but was one of the worst in UT history last year, kickers have been head cases, and D-line is a big question mark with some good talent mixed in.

Lots of question marks and hoping for some pleasant surprises.

Spot on

No. We have a great offensive line and linebackers. The QB position is a huge question. WR is weak with raw talent, RB are below SEC average, secondary has some talent but was one of the worst in UT history last year, kickers have been head cases, and D-line is a big question mark with some good talent mixed in.

Lots of question marks and hoping for some pleasant surprises.

Kickers can drive you :crazy:!

With the clean up job he has to do because of Sunseri alone - plus a win over Saban, then yes he would be COY

I think the switch to a 4-3 will make a huge difference for the defense. As far as Butch being coach of the year I'm going to hold off on making that prediction. This year is going to be interesting that's for sure I still say best case scenario 7-5 or 6-6 and I'll be happy. You start talking anywhere in the 8, 9, 10 area and I think we need more talent to get there. It's a good thing Butch and his staff believe in their system because this team is going to have to overachieve and play mistake free football.

If Butch wins 8 games, he'll be named UT Coach of the Millennium and knighted by the queen.

This year will be a wake up call to CBJ. He will be playing the best of the best almost weekly. and will probably be in shock and awe of what real football is all about lol I'm not expecting to much this year..6 wins is over achieving imo

This year will be a wake up call to CBJ. He will be playing the best of the best almost weekly. and will probably be in shock and awe of what real football is all about lol I'm not expecting to much this year..6 wins is over achieving imo

Butch may age several years in 2013. There's a reason the SEC has won the past 7 NC's in-a-row. It's a very tough league and you have to be very tough to last. Or at least you'd better have talent and be a little lucky.

The one silver lining I see with this schedule, is that if somehow someway Butch pilots this team to a 8-4 record he'll be talked up nationally pretty well. Since 1998...15 seasons...we've systematically become conditioned to expect mediocre results as if hoping for a 8-4 schedule result is evidence of a low iq. Losing is contagious among players, teams and even fanbases. The hope, is why I love Tennessee football, the hope that they will do better than expected. Thats more important to me than to look conservative or conventionally smart.

I'm the most optomistic person in the world where my Tennessee football is concerned.

I know that anything can happen on any given gameday and I always hope for a miracle.

Reality is a royal pain in the butt though and reality says we have 1 of the toughest schedules in the country, are clueless at the QB, WR, TE, D line, S and CB positions.

Our depth is weak and it WILL take us 4 really good years of recruiting to get back on top in the SEC on a coinsistent basis.

For the next 2 years 6-6 and back in a bowl game are a Win for us, Winning a bowl game makes it good seasons.

3 years from now I expect 8 or 9 wins and 4 years from now I expect to compete for the SEC East Championship.

Rome wasn't built in a day and rebuilding our football program back to the top of the SEC and National standards WILL take 4 or 5 years but I honestly believe that buTch and company can accomplish that if our crazy fanbase will shutup and give them total support and the time needed to get it done brick by brick.

VFL...GBO!!!

The month of November will give us our answer. We will probably be 3-5 entering that month, with three games that could go either way. If the players still believe in CBJ then it's entirely possible that we could win out and go 7-5. If not we could just as easily go 1-3 for the month and finish 4-8. I'm leaning toward the former.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I have a feeling with the low expectations attached to Tennessee in 2013,8-4 would probably get Butch Jones SECCY. What do y'all think?

If they win 8 games it will be because Jacques Smith, Marlon Walls, Corey Miller, Jordan Williams, Mo Trilla and Big Dan eat every O-line for lunch.

I have a feeling with the low expectations attached to Tennessee in 2013,8-4 would probably get Butch Jones SECCY. What do y'all think?

No, but he'll be a rock star in the eyes of Tennessee fans everywhere. Go Vols! Brick by brick!

It would more than likely be Hugh Freeze if Ole Miss gets in the hunt and makes some noise in the west.

I don't understand all of the downplaying of the Vols this next season. Seems some posters still believe that Dools is here and that it was just bad players last season. Did you forget that the roster is filled with top 20 recruiting class players? The players did let down some after repeated losses, but they had no chance to succeed with the defensive scheme of Dools/Sunseri and with Dools inability to manage a game, a roster and motivate players. The S&C program produced size, but no explosivenss except with those that were naturally fast.

All that has changed with Jones & staff. Add in that we have the most proven, talented O-line in the SEC with the most experienced front 7 on D - I simply don't get the low expectations. The game is won and lost in the trenches. Control the ball and minimal turnovers on O. Stop the run, contain the passing with zone, and create turnovers on D.
last year + spring game= lowered expectations

Someone on another thread said that UT should beat UGA and USCe with "this roster". Serious question; is the roster a good one? I don't believe that Rivals keeps such rankings (I usually go by pre-season, etc. rankings anyway). I know that QB is a position in question. What does the rest of the roster look like?

Don't know if we will be able to run or pass against decent teams but the defense will be better and has some talent. The offense has talent at receiver (no experience) and the o-line will be very good. This is one year where I have no idea how we will play but don't see the talent/experience/depth to threaten the top of the conference outside of USCe.

I would think that if anyone takes a non-favored team to the SECCG, they'd get the honor over Butch with 8 wins. By 'favored', I mean Bama, LSU, TA&M, UGA, Florida, and USCe.

If the SECCG is composed of two of those favored teams mentioned above, Butch could probably get it with 8 wins.

Don't know if we will be able to run or pass against decent teams but the defense will be better and has some talent. The offense has talent at receiver (no experience) and the o-line will be very good. This is one year where I have no idea how we will play but don't see the talent/experience/depth to threaten the top of the conference outside of USCe.

I think UT is probably the biggest wild card in the SEC this year. Just don't know how they'll perform or what they'll look like. It's a very tough schedule and could be a disaster for a new HC. Then again, he could be all that and get the most out of his players. The o-line is a positive but they need something to keep them going. If the D's giving up lots of pts, they may not be able to keep focus. Bama had the best o-line I may have ever seen last season but they did rattle at times. I'm pretty sure 8-4 won't win any COY's, but it would catapult the program. 4-8 might have the opposite effect. I predict somewhere in the middle. But I've been wrong before.

8-5 wouldnt be a miracle,8-4 might be

WILL beat
AP
WKY
S ALAB

SHOULD BEAT
KY
VANDY(HOME GAME,LOT OF EMOTIONS HOPEFULLY)

50/50
MISSOURI
AUBURN(If they are playing anywhere near a level by week ten that they should be,they can beat Auburn at home..(reminds me of '10 Ole Miss)

probably wont beat
UF
USC
UGA

Stay Close and Hope
Bama
Oregon

Can only win 7 with a 10+ point upset at home or by sweeping Missouri on the road and Auburn late in the season a thome
really need to see some product to judge it's quality..all of the 4-8 predictions are based on a beat down team that wasnt playing with any heart last year...with some incentives late in the year I dont see why they cant go out on a 4 game win streak..looking at it objectively

Last edited:
8-5 wouldnt be a miracle,8-4 might be

WILL beat
AP
WKY
S ALAB

SHOULD BEAT
KY
VANDY(HOME GAME,LOT OF EMOTIONS HOPEFULLY)

50/50
MISSOURI
AUBURN(If they are playing anywhere near a level by week ten that they should be,they can beat Auburn at home..(reminds me of '10 Ole Miss)

probably wont beat
UF
USC
UGA

Stay Close and Hope
Bama
Oregon

Can only win 7 with a 10+ point upset at home or by sweeping Missouri on the road and Auburn late in the season a thome
really need to see some product to judge it's quality..all of the 4-8 predictions are based on a beat down team that wasnt playing with any heart last year...with some incentives late in the year I dont see why they cant go out on a 4 game win streak..looking at it objectively

This game really sets the tone. A sloppy blowout and your young players might lose confidence. Keep it close and play with confidence and it'll give you something to build on. With your lack of experience at QB, CBJ has to keep things simple. Ball/clock control (time of possession will be the most important stat). If you can't run on the Ducks, you're screwed. Good DE's will pin their ears back and hunt (Clowney is already salivating). I think you definitely to UF, USCe, and Bama. Should lose to UGA & AU, Vandy, and Mizzou are toss ups (depending on how QB develops). I think it's kinda weird that some would predict upsets when you don't even know who your starting QB is. 6-6, 7-5.... bowling again.

Wait, doesn't Bama run the same D?

yeah - but they have this "saban" guy that suppossedly knows what he's doing. Oh and enough talent & depth to actually run it.

and to answer your earlier question about this roster - with the loss of JH, CP, MR and TB we lost about 90% of our offensive production - you tell me how the roster looks!

Last edited:
This game really sets the tone. A sloppy blowout and your young players might lose confidence. Keep it close and play with confidence and it'll give you something to build on. With your lack of experience at QB, CBJ has to keep things simple. Ball/clock control (time of possession will be the most important stat). If you can't run on the Ducks, you're screwed. Good DE's will pin their ears back and hunt (Clowney is already
salivating). I think you definitely to UF, USCe, and Bama. Should lose to UGA & AU, Vandy, and Mizzou are toss ups (depending on how QB develops). I think it's kinda weird that some would predict upsets when you don't even know who your starting QB is. 6-6, 7-5.... bowling again.

Clowney is salivating? Are you retarded? Did you watch the UT-Scar game last year? You know the strongest unit on our team?

Clowney is salivating? Are you retarded? Did you watch the UT-Scar game last year? You know the strongest unit on our team?

The answer to that is no he didn't watch and why would he?

Clowney will want to prove himself against that line and unless some WR's emerge as a solid threat he may get his shots.

VN Store

Back