If the "D" is supposed to lack talent

No.

We didn't have the right qb for the system and we didn't have the kind of playmakers at wr he was looking for.

The one he liked for that year broke his leg on a kickoff return against Tennessee

We struggled, but had a good defense

Tebow and harvin supplemented what was there in 2006, but the offense did not take off until tebow started in 2007

Struggling offense w/o right playmakers ... and a NC. I'll take two of those please.

Am I the only one who thinks if the defense is has been said to lack talent and still be a step behind, what does that say about our offense at the orange and white game. I know it was supposed to be vanilla but the defense seemed to step up and the O not so much....Thoughts?

It means a lo of drinking this fall:rock:

If we played any top half of the sec right now we would get curb stomped. That's just where we are until they get the kinks worked out .

Who in their right mind would expect an offense with an entire new coaching staff, 2 quarterbacks that are basically brand new, lost the best receiving duo in the nation, injury to the best returning receiver (who by the way has never played and was a TE last year) would expect anything at all in a dang spring game!!!! I am surprised they got a freakin first down!!!

ANd before you say what about the offensive line??? would it be a good practice game (and by the way dont forget this was just a glorified practice) to run it every down????? Come on man!! Think a little before you post!!!

Your expectations are too high for this board. :whistling:

I think people understood what Dooley walked into and were patient until it was obvious nothing was getting better

I think it will be the same with jones except there will be progress and improvement which will create more patience.

But, it still won't be fun for a little while longer

No.

We didn't have the right qb for the system and we didn't have the kind of playmakers at wr he was looking for.

The one he liked for that year broke his leg on a kickoff return against Tennessee

We struggled, but had a good defense

Tebow and harvin supplemented what was there in 2006, but the offense did not take off until tebow started in 2007

No

Tennessee will go bowling

Having said that, Tennessee has done worse than I thought for the last two years

How much longer did Ms. Cleo say we have before we start winning games? How can you say it won't be fun for awhile if you think we'll be bowling this year? You realize what a bowl birth would do for this team and all of these '14 recruits?

Bowl game = all our recruits now stayed committed, ya Hurd? And then some more commit. Then some more.

And I'm not sure where we lack talent as you previously mentioned, but our O will be fine. Unlike CUB in his first year, bUTch does have players that fit in his system. He recruited Peterman out of high school, he prefers smaller shifty slot receivers and he's got 2 of those. Best Oline in the nation, and TE doesn't look bad either. Rb's will be fine, as I believe Lane will be back. The biggest concern is WR, but as everyone knows, it is usually one of the easiest to transition to. :clapping:

IMO, the defensive rankings under Wilcox were deceiving.

As an example, I don't remember the last time Tennessee put consistent pressure on a qb.

That's fine. Wilcox had youth everywhere and turned in a mid-pack finish.

Against common opponents that year UT compared this way to UF (UT/UF) in points allowed:

UGA- 20/24
LSU- 38/41
UK- 10/10
USC- 14/17
Vandy- 21/21
Bama- 37/38

UT allowed equal or fewer pts to every common opponent.
UT played Arkansas that year while UF played an offensively inept Auburn team. That was the difference between the two teams in scoring D vs the SEC.

No question that UT has struggled to pressure the passer over the last several years. We will see if this staff can fix that.

O-line will be very good this year. So will the backs.

Qb and wr is where they need major improvement from what they have

Frosh wr may begin to fix that

Right. UF is always on the verge of greatness regardless of their problems. UT is always years away from struggling.

Some people don't see this here. It annoys me a great deal when you do it.

I don't think you can read too much good or bad into the spring game, but I'm confident the players will give their ALL for Tennessee everyday this summer to get ready for the 2013 season.

If this is all we are going to talk about all summer it's going to be a long summer. If they O had lit up the D we would be have 4 different threads about the D sucking. I mean idk what could have happen to not make the fan base complain.
That damn hip hop music. Whatever happened to 30 minutes country 30 minutes urban like at the high school dance. West High School Class of '86. GO REBELS!!!

FWIW, McCullers and Couch have the physical talent to be the best DT pair in the country this fall. I have no idea how they will actually play but the physical talent is there in great abundance.

Reactions: 1 person
How much longer did Ms. Cleo say we have before we start winning games? How can you say it won't be fun for awhile if you think we'll be bowling this year? You realize what a bowl birth would do for this team and all of these '14 recruits?

Bowl game = all our recruits now stayed committed, ya Hurd? And then some more commit. Then some more.

And I'm not sure where we lack talent as you previously mentioned, but our O will be fine. Unlike CUB in his first year, bUTch does have players that fit in his system. He recruited Peterman out of high school, he prefers smaller shifty slot receivers and he's got 2 of those. Best Oline in the nation, and TE doesn't look bad either. Rb's will be fine, as I believe Lane will be back. The biggest concern is WR, but as everyone knows, it is usually one of the easiest to transition to. :clapping:

depends on what your definition of fun is.

if by fun, you mean being bowl eligible. get the champagne ready.

if by fun, you mean competing for a conference championship.....it's going to take a while.

step 1 is becoming good. tennessee isn't good at this point in time.

after that, it doesn't become easy. bcs caliber football teams can lose 3 or 4 games playing in our league right now. 2010 alabama lost 3 games. 2012 lsu lost 3 games. those were very good football teams.

when tennessee gets to where everyone wants them to be, it doesn't mean they will necessarily win. it will just mean that now it will be a fair fight. good teams can lose at florida, at georgia, at alabama, etc, etc, etc.

the difference will be tennessee will win their fair share. and if butch jones is all everyone here hopes he will be, he will win more than his fair share.

but, competing for championships (which is what i meant by fun) won't happen quickly. and again, i emphasize "competing" which may or may not equal "winning".

Right. UF is always on the verge of greatness regardless of their problems. UT is always years away from struggling.

Some people don't see this here. It annoys me a great deal when you do it.

i don't know if you are being sarcastic or not.

but, uf, offensively is not on the verge of greatness. they will need new talent in certain spots and then that talent will need time.

as far as tennessee goes, i don't know what anyone really is supposed to say here.

i don't think you will find an "expert" who will project them any higher than 4th in the sec east this season. so, if you think the kind of things i am saying are from an arrogant gator, fine. but, it's the majority point of view outside of knoxville.

Am I the only one who thinks if the defense is has been said to lack talent and still be a step behind, what does that say about our offense at the orange and white game. I know it was supposed to be vanilla but the defense seemed to step up and the O not so much....Thoughts?

You do realize that our offense producers left to go pro. It will take a while.

Who in their right mind would expect an offense with an entire new coaching staff, 2 quarterbacks that are basically brand new, lost the best receiving duo in the nation, injury to the best returning receiver (who by the way has never played and was a TE last year) would expect anything at all in a dang spring game!!!!

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

I am surprised they got a freakin first down!!!
too much

Tyler Bray completed what against Seal in last years spring game. Buff said. Move along.

Our defense will surprise some come fall. Before last year's 3-4 experiment we had a good 4-3 defense. Many of those same players are still on the team.

Defense going back to a more simplistic 4-3. Offense installing a new playbook with bad QB play and thin at WR. I'd say it went by the script.

Not so sure the issue is the 4-3 being more simplistic defense. IMO the difference is more about the players we have (slow LBs and undersized DEs) were recruited to play a 4-3 rather than a
3-4.

depends on what your definition of fun is.

if by fun, you mean being bowl eligible. get the champagne ready.

if by fun, you mean competing for a conference championship.....it's going to take a while.

step 1 is becoming good. tennessee isn't good at this point in time.

after that, it doesn't become easy. bcs caliber football teams can lose 3 or 4 games playing in our league right now. 2010 alabama lost 3 games. 2012 lsu lost 3 games. those were very good football teams.

when tennessee gets to where everyone wants them to be, it doesn't mean they will necessarily win. it will just mean that now it will be a fair fight. good teams can lose at florida, at georgia, at alabama, etc, etc, etc.

the difference will be tennessee will win their fair share. and if butch jones is all everyone here hopes he will be, he will win more than his fair share.

but, competing for championships (which is what i meant by fun) won't happen quickly. and again, i emphasize "competing" which may or may not equal "winning".

Agreed

That's fine. Wilcox had youth everywhere and turned in a mid-pack finish.

Against common opponents that year UT compared this way to UF (UT/UF) in points allowed:

UGA- 20/24
LSU- 38/41
UK- 10/10
USC- 14/17
Vandy- 21/21
Bama- 37/38

UT allowed equal or fewer pts to every common opponent.
UT played Arkansas that year while UF played an offensively inept Auburn team. That was the difference between the two teams in scoring D vs the SEC.

No question that UT has struggled to pressure the passer over the last several years. We will see if this staff can fix that.

i think it paints a misleading picture to use one statistical measure.

i can post all kinds of stats such as 3rd down conversion %, rushing yards allowed per attempt, yards allowed per play, opponent passer rating, etc, etc, etc.

florida gave up less than 300 yards of total offense a game in 2011 (299).

Young young young if we can get 6 and 6 out of this group be happy.

And next year when we lose our entire o-line? Is 5 wins suppose to be an improvement? Im not saying its going to be easy but i really hope Butch can do better than 6-7 and 5-8 his first 2 years.

The defense is always ahead of the offense during spring ball, unless you have a complete lack of defense

Clearly this must have been the OP's first spring game.

There's no way he could have seen last years, where on of the best offenses we've had in a decade looked atrocious against one of the worst defenses we've ever had.

VN Store

Back