If the "D" is supposed to lack talent

Talent level at every position does make a difference.

The good news is that with bUTch running our program our talent IS going to keep going UP.

That starts with this next signing class as we all know already.

The more Wins we get means the better talent we'll get too.

Tennessee has been off the Nartional radar for far too many years but our next recruiting class DOES already have us back on the National recruiting radar and future recruits and media are back to talking about Tennessee again.

That continued exposure on a National level will keep bringing us better and better recruits every year.

I hate being patient but I have to be realistic and I believe it's going to take us 3 or 4 years before we're back competing at the top of the SEC again.

The good news is that once we get back to the top again I believe that bUTch will keep us at the top consistently again like we should always be.

It's a VERY tough climb back up the ladder to the top in the SEC but I believe we're on the way back.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Defense is going to be above average. Why? This group is preaching fundamentals first, scheme second, which I think you have to do with college players. Keep your gap. Take proper angles. Wrap up. Swarm to the ball. Get lower than your adversary. Stand and strip the ball carrier.

It is those little things that we have not done consistently since Chavis was DC. Even with Monte, who did seem to excel at scheme (except against Ole Miss and VT), we missed a ton of tackles that killed us.

Offense won't set any records, but we should be able to win some games with our offensive line wearing the opponent down and we will get better and better as the year wears on.

I think we beat South Carolina, Vandy, Auburn, Mizzou, and Kentucky to have a winning record in the SEC. We might even get the upset vs. the Dawgs. We have the better coaching staff now.

However, Western Kentucky won't be the cake walk everyone assumes it will be, and then we go to Oregon and Florida. Expect a lot of grumbling around these parts until November. The "this offense won't cut it in the SEC" patrol will be out in force. :salute:

Am I the only one who thinks if the defense is has been said to lack talent and still be a step behind, what does that say about our offense at the orange and white game. I know it was supposed to be vanilla but the defense seemed to step up and the O not so much....Thoughts?

I think our front seven are really good. If the secondary can play at a decent level this will be a very good SEC defense.

I'm worried about defensive line depth,quite worried

Huh?

DT: McCullers, Couch, Hood, O'Brien, Salisbury, and maybe others.

DE: J Smith, Williams, Lewis, Vereen, Walls, Miller

That's the makings of a pretty good rotation. They are critically thin at OLB and DB (particularly CB).

Huh?

That's the makings of a pretty good rotation. They are critically thin at OLB and DB (particularly CB).

LBs and OLs hopefully will be a recruiting and JC priority

The defense had talent ...they had a terrible plan to convert to a 3-4 and terrible leadership

If Bama ( the best D in the country ) launched a new plan to play with their eyes closed ...that would not make them with 'talent' . It was just be bad coaching and a stupid philosophy .

Speaking of so called lack of talent, I'm sure since Butch jones "gets it" that must mean hes recruiting Leon Sandcastle Jr. LOL

Huh?

C'mon man. I don't understand why fans do this and I know you are smarter than this.

When people refer to depth, they refer to the number of players who can play the position and play it effectively.

So, to be absurd, I can list 10 defensive lineman who play for Utah state and claim they have depth. But, you wouldn't want any of them on the field.

You know darn well that several of the names you listed have no business getting serious playing time or else Tennessee is in big trouble. Not to mention, the starters have not proven to be close to the same quality of defensive lines of Tennessee's past.

C'mon man. I don't understand why fans do this and I know you are smarter than this.

When people refer to depth, they refer to the number of players who can play the position and play it effectively.

So, to be absurd, I can list 10 defensive lineman who play for Utah state and claim they have depth. But, you wouldn't want any of them on the field.

You know darn well that several of the names you listed have no business getting serious playing time or else Tennessee is in big trouble. Not to mention, the starters have not proven to be close to the same quality of defensive lines of Tennessee's past.

I would truly have no problems with any of those guys being in (Coach Stripling may disagree, though), I think we have a lot of quality depth on the dline.

Reactions: 1 person

All those players he listed are good players...

i'll just have to agree to disagree here.

i don't see it. for tennessee's sake, i hope i'm wrong

i'll just have to agree to disagree here.

i don't see it. for tennessee's sake, i hope i'm wrong

You don't see it cause you don't want to. Several of those people he listed were 4* recruits coming out of hs. They're not the scrubs from the bottom of the barrel. They are quality players.

You don't see it cause you don't want to. Several of those people he listed were 4* recruits coming out of hs. They're not the scrubs from the bottom of the barrel. They are quality players.

ok. i was going to let this die.

when's the last time you got pressure on a qb with the front four?

when's the last time tennessee defensively won the line of scrimmage against a team with a pulse?

daniel hood is a senior and has 15 career tackles and you are telling me he is a quality defensive lineman?

who are some of you kidding?

ok. i was going to let this die.

when's the last time you got pressure on a qb with the front four?

when's the last time tennessee defensively won the line of scrimmage against a team with a pulse?

daniel hood is a senior and has 15 career tackles and you are telling me he is a quality defensive lineman?

who are some of you kidding?

Our d line was designed to eat space last year and let the linebackers make the plays. Obviously that didnt work out but UTs always been a 4-3. I'm not saying our dline is amazing but you saying we have no quality depth at dline is kind of ignorant. Personally I think our dline will be much improved compared to last year.

Huh?

After mcCullers and Couch the drop off is signifant at DT

Our d line was designed to eat space last year and let the linebackers make the plays. Obviously that didnt work out but UTs always been a 4-3. I'm not saying our dline is amazing but you saying we have no quality depth at dline is kind of ignorant. Personally I think our dline will be much improved compared to last year.

Again, you tell me when the last time it was that tennessee's defensive line got the best of a legit opponent's offensive line

Last edited:
Do I hear some "youth and inexperience?" Has anyone else noticed we haven't heard either of those words from CBJ. No excuses, just solutions.
But you are right Terry. Until some of CBJ's recruits get in and start producing 6-6 will be tough to overcome.
Young young young if we can get 6 and 6 out of this group be happy.

VN Store

Back