I'm disgusted. Something has to change.

It’s just so hard to enforce. Imagine late in the game your best defensive player having an injury scare but is good to go back in the game yet he has to miss the entire last drive.

Idk how you fix it.

Mandatory independent clearance from opposing teams medical staff before re-entry and stay out remainder of current series. If we are concerned for player safety then let’s make sure they are OK to play.

It’s just so hard to enforce. Imagine late in the game your best defensive player having an injury scare but is good to go back in the game yet he has to miss the entire last drive.

Idk how you fix it.
You have to sit the player for a specified time subject to an official that watches nothing but medical situations. In no credible medical setting would anyone with a suspected injury be allowed to do anything physical less than 5 minutes after the incident.

I think that player should not be able to return to the field until a change of possession of the ball.
I think this is a fair.

If the player is too soft to play through a little hurt, they need the rest that comes with no coming back in until the possession change.

The solution is simple. Currently you have to stay out 1 play before coming back.

Increase that time. Example:

You have to stay out for the remainder of that series and the next series. So you miss 2 series anytime you go down
Yes I agree. They need that time on the sidelines to heal 🤪

So, I was just toggling back and forth between the end of the OLE Miss/KY (Boom - congrats Cats!) game and the NIU/Wolfpack (good job pack on helping our SOS) game and in the last 4 minutes of each game, there were a combined 6 players who were down on the ground complaining of injuries and therefore, having a time out called and stopping the momentum of the opposing teams drive. EACH PLAYER, after careful examination by their equipment manager, got up and walked off the field under their own power without hesitation, missing limbs, broken bones, concussions, etc.

I don't have the solution, but this phantom bogus injuries must be met with a penalty to the team that owns these Oscar nominees. At minimum, the ref should have the ability on his call to deduct a time out if they feel the player is feigning the injury. This is a serious problem for the NCAA and we are seeing it way too much.

Oh, and before I get off my soapbox, yes, Kiffin's players led the charge in this category today. They deserved to lose, and they did!

Easy, the player sits out the rest of the series. Simple, easy to implement and track, would stop the hi-jinks

Reactions: GAVol
So, I was just toggling back and forth between the end of the OLE Miss/KY (Boom - congrats Cats!) game and the NIU/Wolfpack (good job pack on helping our SOS) game and in the last 4 minutes of each game, there were a combined 6 players who were down on the ground complaining of injuries and therefore, having a time out called and stopping the momentum of the opposing teams drive. EACH PLAYER, after careful examination by their equipment manager, got up and walked off the field under their own power without hesitation, missing limbs, broken bones, concussions, etc.

I don't have the solution, but this phantom bogus injuries must be met with a penalty to the team that owns these Oscar nominees. At minimum, the ref should have the ability on his call to deduct a time out if they feel the player is feigning the injury. This is a serious problem for the NCAA and we are seeing it way too much.

Oh, and before I get off my soapbox, yes, Kiffin's players led the charge in this category today. They deserved to lose, and they did!
Twenty minute commercial breaks every 5 minutes is just as big an issue.

Easy solution. Assess a timeout for every injury after the third one, per half. Coaches will not allow fakes anymore for fear of losing timeouts when they really need them. Problem solved.

Make a 4 play minimum them to sit, if not a whole drive. Make the players stay on the field and stop treating it like a free timeout.

I used to play a lot of "inner city" ball, where the rule was generally "No X-ray / no foul." Functionally, it worked. It tended to keep players from trying dangerous moves, but still kept whiners and cry-babies from ruining the flow of the game.

But it favored the bruisers who dared you to get in their way, and most of the fights started when a smaller or finesse player made a great move but was negated by a physical foul from a player who just got beat on defense.

All that to say... without perfect knowledge there's no just way to call this aspect of the game. Anything that dis-incentivizes players faking an injury will unjustly penalize the responsible player who needs only 1 play for the trainers to confirm that he's good to go.

There's no way to consistently differentiate between fakers and the possibly injured, because as a player, you know what pain or sensation you felt, but you're not medically qualified to discern whether that's a "play through it" pain, or a "stop doing this" signal from your body. We can't not err on the side of safety.
------------------
BUT THE REAL ISSUE IS... who actually benefit$ from more injury timeouts?

Even if the covering network doesn't break for a commercial, the announcers can use that time to plug anything the network wants them to. So until college football starts losing eyeballs over it, fake injury timeouts will remain a revenue enhancement for those who make the games available to viewers.

IF WE COULD PASS A RULE that, during injuries, networks could not break for commercials and that announcers would have to remain silent until the injured player left the field...

You can bet we'd soon have drones with medical scanners buzzing all around injured players, sending real time imaging and data to special remote referees with medical degrees feeding it all to an A.I. sponsored by AT&T, Allstate, Capital One, Chick-fil-A, Cheez-It, Dr. Pepper, Gatorade, Goodyear, Mercedes-Benz, Modelo, Ram Trucks, Taco Bell and Vrbo!

I don’t think a player being injured should ever hurt your team in teams of down and distance.
The problem is that the players in this discussion are not actually hurt. It is a blatant delaying tactics to slow down warp speed offenses. Oklahoma used a transfer from UT three times on it last Saturday. Each time the player appeared to be incapable of walking by themselves, right up until the hit that miraculous sideline. The minute their foot touch that line, they were healed!!! The rest of the trip to the bench was unaided by the trainers, who both mysteriously disappeared. 🤔🤫

Rules for injured player and clock stoppage
1. Delay of game 5 yd penalty if injured player walks off the field on his own power ( no physical support from other persons) if defensive player is injured on the play and offense just made a 1st down, the penalty is applied after the ball is marked resulting in a 1st and 5 for the offense.
2. In addition, If injured player is assisted off the field supported by other person(s), player is ineligible for the remainder of the game.
3. If a player is carted off, please pray for the young man.

Requiring the player to miss the rest of the series is the easiest one to implement and teams without depth could then not afford to have dudes flop.

If a guy goes down more than once for any reason, he should be automatically ejected from the game for his own safety.

Flopping is bad and Kiffin used it to beat us. He’s an ass clown and I hate him. Sorry, off soapbox.
You can't be mad at him for using the rules as they are currently written to gain an advantage. Be mad at the NCAA for not changing the rules. They've had 4 years now to do something about it

I think any player injured or not should sit out the rest of the series and all of the next series. Simple as that!

The solution is simple. Currently you have to stay out 1 play before coming back.

Increase that time. Example:

You have to stay out for the remainder of that series and the next series. So you miss 2 series anytime you go down
Which ever is greater, 10 minutes or the end of the existing quarter.

I see flopping growing into our everyday lives, not just college football. If your wife wants you to mow the yard, or take out the trash, just fall down and grab your leg. If your boss at work tells you that you have to work over, fall down and grab a hamstring. Why should football players get all the sympathy ?

Which ever is greater, 10 minutes or the end of the existing quarter.

You don’t want it to be too severe. The goal is to limit the action, not to change the outcome of games.

I don’t want a QB turning his ankle, coming out for a play, and then missing the entire 4th quarter

VN Store

Back